Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves: sizing, etiquette and all other stuff

Nashoba

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
:eek:fftopic: Everytime I see your little note at bottom of your page I say a prayer for all our soldiers and their loved ones. Have 2 nephews in Iraq currently and one fixing to go into the service.
You just look so vintage cute in your avatar.

Aww. thanks! I appreciate the prayers. So do our Marines. I'll make sure I remember your loved ones in my prayers too. :) I appreciate the compliment too!!

shebagrl

Familiar Face
A Lady and Her Gloves

Hi everyone,

I was poking around on the board and couldn't find anything that explained the etiquette of glove-wearing for ladies in the Golden Era. My aplogies if I didn't look hard enough (not that I've been known to do that or anything ;)) If anyone would be kind enough to help me, I'd be much obliged! I'm hoping to learn when to wear/not to wear, glove length rules (is it ok to wear short, wrist length gloves all the time or is that a faux pas), glove material (are there any rules to wearing certain fabrics daily). I want to get some vintage gloves and don't even know where to begin.

Thanks in advance!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
shebagrl said:
I was poking around on the board and couldn't find anything that explained the etiquette of glove-wearing for ladies in the Golden Era. My aplogies if I didn't look hard enough (not that I've been known to do that or anything ;)) If anyone would be kind enough to help me, I'd be much obliged! I'm hoping to learn when to wear/not to wear, glove length rules (is it ok to wear short, wrist length gloves all the time or is that a faux pas), glove material (are there any rules to wearing certain fabrics daily). I want to get some vintage gloves and don't even know where to begin.

There are several threads on this topic in the Powder Room.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16152
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16381
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11509
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10203
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=19164
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4540

There are probably more. This is just the most relevant stuff that I found by searching thread titles for "gloves" and "glove".

shebagrl

Familiar Face
KittyT said:

Thank you KittyT! I don't know what I did wrong, but my search for gloves came up with naught.

You're a gem, thanks!

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Ladies Mesh Driving Gloves

I have been on an eternal search for ladies mesh driving gloves. All the vintage ones I have found have been to small for my hands even though I don't have very big hands at all. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could get a good pair? Thanks for any help in advance!

Note: I tried google and the FL search and I couldn't find anything about them on here if I missed search please let me know.

Laraquan

Familiar Face
Gloves

Must gloves match the dress? See, I've got a red halterneck dress and I'm going to wear a black beaded shawl with it (hard to explain) and black shoes. I wouldn't want to wear everything red with it simply because while the red is good for a dress, the shade isn't particularly nice for anything else.

Now, my conundrum is, can I wear black elbow-length gloves or must I wear my somewhat more dreary and lesser quality red ones?

Laraquan

Familiar Face
The event is merely a halloween party and none of my friends would think it mattered but I'd like to know and now the question has soon come up. The gloves a shiny black and go halfway up the upper arm. The red ones just aren't as nice.

I couldn't give pictures. A) Far too shy - what if it looks all wrong? B) Don't have a camera.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Laraquan,
I'd wear the black gloves if I were you. I wear gloves quite frequently--day and night--and I'll wear gloves that match my handbag or my shoes or even a complimentary color to my outfit. For example, I was wearing brown tones for an outfit and I wore navy gloves. Wear what makes you feel good. I've had so many compliments when I've worn gloves, especially in the daytime. People have said that gloves really "completes the outfit". If you think the red ones don't look very good, then don't wear them. I don't think women wore everything the same color--so mix it up a bit. Besides, a lot of women couldn't afford gloves in every color, so they wore what they had.

Hope you have a great time at the party!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Wear the black gloves, its not like you are trying to rationalize a color that doesn't tie back into the outfit. You're wearing other black accessories.

And if you're really worried about tying it into the red, maybe a red bracelet over the gloves? I'm thinking maybe chunky Bakelite/plastic beads?

Kari W

New in Town
Laraquan said:
Thank you so much. I think I will go with the black. I've got the most lovely red ring to go with it, too.

I think that black gloves too, and I like the idea of the red ring. I think it will look great. Hope you have fun at the party!

Idledame

Practically Family
Gloves

Gloves were mandatory for a well dressed lady in the 30's and 40's. Even in the early 50's when I grew up my mom would always wear gloves when she left the house, even if she was just going to Sears. Here is a site that carries vintage looking gloves:
http://www.greatglovesonline.com/
My mom had a number of cotton dress gloves in different color combos for different outfits. I have some of hers in brown with a lime green accent. They were a type of thick, tightly woven cotton that didn't unravel. There also were rules about how to properly put them on and take them off. I recall reading that one should never yank on the fingertips to remove a glove. And when putting them on you gently push the fingers of the gloves down each finger you don't just yank them from the cuff. They are a total pain, but look sharp. So do any of you complete your outfits with gloves?

Idledame

Practically Family
I found this site which explains sizing:
In the "glove world" the length of the glove from the base of the thumb at the wrist to the hem is measured in a term called "buttons" where one "button" equals one inch. This word is derivative of a French unit of measurement. In other words, a four-button glove is not decorated with four buttons, it is merely 4 inches from the base of the thumb to its hem. See the chart below for an explanation of the "Button-Lengths" used by Finale Gloves.

To determine your glove size, you will need a measuring tape. Place the beginning of the tape on your index-finger knuckle and bring the tape across the other knuckles. Continue moving the tape around the palm side of the hand until the tape touches the point where you got started. Gently make a fist. The point where the tape now meets is your glove size.

Typically, women wear numerical sizes 6, 6 1/2, 7, 7 1/2, or 8 in leather styles. Fabric gloves with a high degree of stretch such as satin and velvet are a "one size fits all" size. Other fabric styles with a moderate amount of stretch such as cotton and silk styles range two sizes (A and B) with Size A fitting numerical hand sizes 6 and 6 1/2 and Size B fitting hand sizes 7, 7 1/2 and 8.

A fine leather glove should fit snugly and should not bag on the hand. Fine, soft glove leather will stretch with the hand. This is where the phrase "Fits like a glove" originated! When removing a glove, never pull on the cuff. Fold back the wrist of the glove and work it gently over your fingers.
http://www.finalegloves.com/

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BakingInPearls said:
I have been on an eternal search for ladies mesh driving gloves. All the vintage ones I have found have been to small for my hands even though I don't have very big hands at all. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could get a good pair? Thanks for any help in advance!

Note: I tried google and the FL search and I couldn't find anything about them on here if I missed search please let me know.

There are some nice ladies driving gloves at stores like Nordstrom, etc.

You also could consider other gloves but don't tell anyone I told you: golf gloves, handball gloves, etc. You would have to buy them in singles to create a pair.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I have to admit I have a soft spot for leather gloves and while researching I noticed that all of them are dated 50s-70s? I would love to see some chic outfits with leather gloves, but I can't seem to find any outfits with them...
Maybe I just have a bad fashion taste, but I think they can look very good with a nice coat.
If anyone has some info about leather gloves, please share!

I measured the palm of my hand and it's 20 = 7.8, right? How do you make sure that your fingers will fit in perfect so the gloves are not to tight, but don't have a loose fit either?

Here are some modern ones I've found:

Miu Miu Leather Bow Gloves
6z6mq1.jpg

12679.jpg

Mango
12678.jpg

090707_mango_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo