Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves: sizing, etiquette and all other stuff

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
Etienne, thank you!

I was wearing a silk chiffon dress with cape sleeves in a soft white with blush pink floral print and a solid colored blush pink sash; natural straw picture hat with blush pink satin ribbon and roses; a necklace of tiny pearls and matching drop earrings; ice beige peep toe ankle strap heels with flower decoration just above the peep toe; ice beige leather pocketbook with kisslock closure and three flower decoration (made to match the shoes); and of course the gloves.

How interesting that people are buying gloves again!

Jivin4Java

New in Town
Gloves, question and use.

Ladies, I have a couple of glove questions regarding sizing and their use.

1. I have seen some vintage glove patterns for sale on ebay that I am interested in, but when the sizing is listed I am lost. How do I find out what size I am?

2. I understand glove use during cold the cold months of the year, driving, an evening ball, but other than that what was their purpose? :confused:

Thanks, Jenn

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Gloves can be worn any time of the year...I'll try to find some examples for you later. Gloves that end at the wrist look great with suits and summer dresses. Evening/opera gloves really complete the look of a great evening dress.
An alternative to making your own gloves: most vintage stores sell gloves that are inexpensive (usually) and come in a variety of colors and lengths.
Good luck!

Rosie

One Too Many
Here's a quickie on glove sizing: http://www.thefencingpost.com/glove_sizing.htm

I just measure the palm of my hand then double, this gives an accurate glove size.

I wear gloves often. This year I have made it apart of my everyday wear. Truthfully, there are times when I will pull them off and place them in my purse if I'm feeling a bit weird but for the most part, I have received a positive reaction to them. In my opinion, it finishes off an outfit wonderfully.

Years ago, a lady daren't go outside without her little white gloves. It just was a sign of being refined I guess just as most fellas and ladies wouldn't go out without their heads covered.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Like Rosie, I usta wear gloves often. But I felt strange about it, cause of the looks, but for someone who does not wear a lot of jewlery (hand raised), gloves are a great way to polish a look.

Try your local Thrift/ Consignment/ antique store before making your own gloves. Remember, gloves didnt get a whole lot of use. When the Lady got to where she was going, often they would come off. So there are a lot of nice vintage gloves out there just waiting to be worn again.

What I want to do is get together with a few vintage girlfriends (where oh where are they) and go out for afternoon tea, all day dress, gloves and all.

That would be fun!

LD

magneto

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
What I want to do is get together with a few vintage girlfriends (where oh where are they) and go out for afternoon tea, all day dress, gloves and all.

I like this idea ;) (picturing Lady Day standing at a tea table declaring, "The first meeting of the Vintage Ladies' Glove-Wearing Support Society will now come to order!")

Foofoogal

Banned
One of the main purposes for gloves was germs. Shaking hands with people can bring lots of germs and also cleaniness.
I am hearing alot about it becoming fashionable in Japan and Europe mainly because of the bird flu epidemic that wearing gloves is gaining popularity again for this main reason. :eusa_clap
It is well known that washing hands several times a day can reduce colds and flu greatly. Gloves will help that along.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

Snookie

Practically Family
Haven't gloves been around a lot longer than modern germ theory? But I would believe that they cut down on dirtiness. I bet they were also used in the daytime to save your skin from the sun, although I'm sure there's plenty of fingerless mesh gloves that can contradict these ideas.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
magneto said:
I like this idea ;) (picturing Lady Day standing at a tea table declaring, "The first meeting of the Vintage Ladies' Glove-Wearing Support Society will now come to order!")

lol
VLGWSS

How perfect!

LD

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Women's Hats

We have custom made hats by Kokin, and Wayne Wichern. Wayne makes a lot of vintage-style hats. We have three websites, one of which is just for women. PM me for more details, or follow the link.

Duane

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Could some kind person tell me some ways to tell a 30s hat from a 40s hat from a 50s hat, etc.? What styles are appropriate for what eras?

--Leslie

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Gloves and hats

So often I see people dressed in vintage, but they forgo both gloves and hats. I know in the 1940's, it was unladylike to go without gloves, who wears gloves and a hat when they don a vintage dress? Or do you forgo them both?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Good question! I'm still getting used to wearing a hat (I still don't know what it is, but, I still feel almost 'costumish' with one on) But, I have a huge love for them.
gloves; I find they are a must for the vintage look. There's something about wearing them that really pull the outfit together (same is true for the hat), it gives a look of femininity and posh. This has become a new shopping addiction for me...I'm always on the lookout for some great gloves!

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
I love gloves of all varieties. I really do - mesh, fishnet, silk, leather, satin you name it i love gloves. I do not, however, love hats. I hate hats. Hats make me absolutely positive I look stupid.

Of course, you're talking to the same girl who cannot wear lipstick of any tone or shade wihtout a vintage dress on because there's something that strikes me as very costumey and over the top about lipstick, so i may have a few fashion issues :p

Nevertheless, I do wear gloves but hats are not so much my thing.

Maybe i'm a plan ahead kind of girl, but I've managed to pursuade my so (or, i'm working on him, at least) to take a round on the Untouchables tour. I've been trying to get him to do this for three years now and he just wont - even though I can't think of anything that sounds more fun than touring around with a bunch of guys (one of whom they call lefty, for posterities sake) in Fedora's on an Al Capone bus tour. Anyway, I vowed that I would go in full on vintage, and that does, in fact, mean a hat.

Color me terrified.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I know how you feel Mysterygal, I got my first fedora (a man's no less!) and wore it that same day, I felt like I was in costume too, and it was a plain hat! I don't know how I'll feel if I ever get my hands on the fancier ladies' oneslol
I have a few pairs of gloves that I wear, that don't get any attention, cause it's winter up here and cold, they come off at school, it's easier to put on my knapsack without them.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
As for hats, I was talking to my parents asking what thier parents wore in the 1940's and 1950's. My dad said that my grandmother always wore gloves, but did not always wear a hat, he did say though that my grandfather always wore a hat, but he remembers his mother only wore hats to church, weddings, christenings, bar mitzvahs, funerals or parties, My mother said the same thing about my maternal grandmother, that hats were only worn on speciel occassions and my grandfather always wore a fedora where ever he went.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick