Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin vs horsehide

thor

Call Me a Cab
Thanks bro! I ordered a LW Raider from Stu as a Christmas present to myself :)
And now I am trying to wait patiently for it's arrival. A pic or two of your jacket will help with the waiting.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Hi Guys:

I added this Lost Worlds J-23 in Goat to my collection earlier this year reasoning that it would be a decent riding jacket for Tennessee in the Fall and Spring. I got where I wear it all the time now for casual wear and just ordered a LW Suburban in Black goat a few days ago from Stuart. Goatskin is very durable and dense (water resistant) but very comfortable when driving long distances in the truck or the bike.

I am not saying that it is better than Horsehide but I think it is a nice alternative.

DSC_0025_zps50fac823.jpg

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg image.jpg
My Vintage G-1 from The Cockpit with a really nice "washed" goatskin. Really looks the business!

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
I'm glad to see this thread gaining momentum... while I do love HH, goat is very underrated, and I'm awaiting a cafe racer in goat which is probably a month away. Also goes to show that we're not all just HH freaks on TFL.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad to see this thread gaining momentum... while I do love HH, goat is very underrated, and I'm awaiting a cafe racer in goat which is probably a month away. Also goes to show that we're not all just HH freaks on TFL.

Looking forward to seeing that. A goatskin cafe racer is a pretty rare beast.

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
Even on this old LL Bean A-2 I bought on the 'Bay (only $50!) the goatskin shows some nice graining and patina. My next bespoke jacket will definitely be goatskin.

trapp

Practically Family
I'm so happy to see goatskin making more of an appearance on the lounge after years of FQHH this and FQHH that. Those hides above are beautiful!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I have a Shinki HH jacket and a goatskin jacket with the hide from an unknown tannery. The grain on goatskin is noticeable. Whether or not you like it is up to you, but it is quite distinguishable.

It does have an impressive strength to weight ratio. If you need a lighter jacket that is still tough, I think goat is the way to go even over some of the lighter horsehides.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a Shinki HH jacket and a goatskin jacket with the hide from an unknown tannery. The grain on goatskin is noticeable. Whether or not you like it is up to you, but it is quite distinguishable.

It does have an impressive strength to weight ratio. If you need a lighter jacket that is still tough, I think goat is the way to go even over some of the lighter horsehides.

Yep, a hide whose time has come.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo