Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin vs horsehide

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
Goatskin just keeps getting better with age (AVG Tex Hill's original Flying Tiger M-422 jacket).

Plumbline

One Too Many
AL medium weight black goat straight out of the box today - Black Goat Dakota purchased on their Outlet page on Tues ..

IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG

nice and pliable and almost the pertfect weight ..... :)

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
I've read from experienced leatherworkers that there are no real practical benefits of horsehide over steerhide, mainly in terms of strength and toughness. Horsehide, though, I believe is more water resistant, so I like it for holsters in that regard, but as far as boots and such, steerhide is fine and there are treatments to help with that.

One of the greatest advantages of leather in a jacket for me is its ability to help regulate body temperature and wick in more mild climates while providing some wind, rain, and abrasion resistance. The thinner the leather the better for all that I believe, which is why goatskin is the all-around best choice in my mind.

A used A2 is a hell of a lot more cheaper than an Aero too.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
I've read somewhere that the Navy did some very thorough testing of leather types and chose goatskin for their M-422a/G-1 flight jackets because of it's superior qualities. They do last a long time and just seem to look better and better (like this WWII Edmund T. Church M-422a goatskin jacket).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24