Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's funny how goat varies. My Johnson goat is very pebbled and very soft, my G&B goat is very smooth and soft with almost no grain, my Alexander goat is hard, stiff and grainy with ridges along with pebbling. You'd never know they were the same animal. The Al is showing the most character and is notably thicker than the others.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have two jackets from The Cockpit in their "vintage, washed goatskin" hide, an Oil Driller half-belt and a vintage G-1. Fabulous leather with heavy pebbling as well as varying (large and small) areas of grain, wrinkling and burnished patina. Looks and feels exactly like 40-50 year old goatskin (I've owned 1940's and 1950's M-422 and G-1 jackets and the washed goat is a dead ringer for those vintage hides).

thor

Call Me a Cab
In my experience, the goatskin M-422 jackets I've worn in heavy rain is every bit as impregnable as my chrome-tanned "bullet-proof" LW horsehide A-2.

Edward

Bartender
I wore my Wested Raiders goathide in heavy rain in Dehli one night, with no problems. The Aero goathide is grand too. I rather suspect the tanning process is more important than the hide itself when it comes to being weatherproof, though.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
My Aero goatskin jacket is not waterproof at all. Totally different from the Chromexcel Aero I had before. I do love the hide, though. It's getting better every day. Quite substantial but still much lighter and softer than the HFQHH (even though it has nearly the same thickness). It was very wearable right from the start. During the last two years it has developed lots of nice creases and moulded to my body more and more.

schitzo

Suspended
My Aero goatskin jacket is not waterproof at all. Totally different from the Chromexcel Aero I had before. I do love the hide, though. It's getting better every day. Quite substantial but still much lighter and softer than the HFQHH (even though it has nearly the same thickness). It was very wearable right from the start. During the last two years it has developed lots of nice creases and moulded to my body more and more.

Rudie is that russet or seal goatskin, I forget. And whatever it is, any danger of a few photos?

I really would like to see what the aero goatskin looks like after a bit of wear, especially the seal, if any of you can oblige

Edward

Bartender
There are photos round here somewhere of my Aero A2, in seal goat. I bought it used (though I doubt it had had much wear). I've worn it a fair bit myself, but it hasn't shown obvious signs of wear the way the horse jackets seem to. Main reason I've come to prefer the goat, really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner