Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Washington, DC in April - Hat store suggestions?

MattJH

One Too Many
I know I can look it up online, but I was wondering if anybody here has any specific locations that I should check out? This is what I've found so far, and there's no way for me to really tell if they're hat-exclusive or just carry a few wool felts, you know? Unless I call them. But I don't really like telephones. Who wants to volunteer calling them all for me?

Hats In The Belfry [supposedly closed]
1237 Wisconsin Ave NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 342-2006

Georgetown Hattery
3222 M St NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 364-4287

Proper Topper
1350 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20036
(202) 842-3055

Proper Topper
3213 P Street NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 333-6200

Estellas Hats
2000 Rhode Island Ave NE
Washington, DC 20018
(202) 269-6640

Incognito
50 Massachusetts Ave
Washington, DC, 20002
(202) 898-9090

Mens Fashion Center
918 H Street
Washington, DC, 20002
(202) 543-4464

Barry

Practically Family
Hats in the Belfry might have moved - it's no longer on Wisconsin Avenue.

Propper Topper in Dupont has a larger selection of hats than the store in Georgetown. The Georgetown location has nice gifts and trinkets for the most part.

Georgetown Hattery is located in Georgetown Park Mall. I do not bring my hats to that shop for repair anymore but they do have a nice selection of expensive lids.

I don't know about the others.

PS: I noticed that you (like me) have a fairly large head. You might be able to get a great deal on a Chelsea or Vienna (Lock & Co. Hatters) at WM Fox & Co. assuming those hats are still in stock. Somehow they were shipped a number of hats all in large sizes - 7 5/8's and up. It's a nice store, btw.

Barry

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Ditto what Barry said. I'll just add that when I've been in the Dupont Proper Topper (once or twice), they haven't had much to speak of. Not much worth considering, anyway, except some $100+ Stetsons with stingyish brims and very stiff felt.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
According to their website, Hats in the Belfry lists locations in Baltimore and Annapolis. Both are fairly convenient to DC. If you need transportation let me know when you're going to be in town because I've been wanting to visit one of their stores and it would give me a good excuse.

My Pop's Closet

New in Town
Dinerman said:
There's some hat stores in Silver Spring. I've never been to them them, so I can't speak as to their quality.
there's hats by haber
Andrea's Fine hats (which sells mens as well as womens)
Hats by Haber is actually located in a house just off University Blvd in Silver Spring. It's operated by a lady. I'm not sure whether or not the house also doubles as her personal residence. She sells fedoras, homburgs, etc. out of her livingroom and actually has a fairly large Borsalino collection. Her best customers are police detectives. I haven't been there in several years.

I usually shop at Hippodrome Hatters in downtown Baltimore:

http://www.hiphats.com/

I probably could get a better deal via the Internet, but I like supporting my local hat shop.

Mark George

New in Town
Then, there is the Hat Barn in Fredericksburg, VA. Not exactly DC, but nearby. They have lots of hats and seem to do a brisk business.
Hat Barn
4916 Southpoint Parkway
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
540-898-0201

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24