Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Age San Francisco?

tupmanzozzie

New in Town
This Brit is going to wine country for two weeks in April and is asking if there are any shops in that fair city of SF where I can buy vintage suits from the 30s and 40s. Thought I'd bring back some US flair to these wintry shores.

For well-travelled Loungers, here in London I visit Old Hat and Bertie Wooster (for comparison).

All suggestions will be very welcome!

Regards

Alex

metropd

One Too Many
Wine country? Thant would be Napa Valley not SF.:) In Napa there is a nice vintage store called Wildcats. Go upstairs in the attic and their are Tons of vintage suits.;)

Bugsy

One Too Many
tupmanzozzie said:
This Brit is going to wine country for two weeks in April and is asking if there are any shops in that fair city of SF where I can buy vintage suits from the 30s and 40s. Thought I'd bring back some US flair to these wintry shores.

For well-travelled Loungers, here in London I visit Old Hat and Bertie Wooster (for comparison).

All suggestions will be very welcome!

Regards

I know of several places in the Haight district with some wonderful vintage clothes. Let me know if you need a guide

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Bugsy said:
tupmanzozzie said:
I know of several places in the Haight district with some wonderful vintage clothes. Let me know if you need a guide

My pick for the Haight would be "La Rosa". They usually have some nice pieces there and you just have to like a place in the Haight that has a sign on the front counter that says: "No Photos and No Dirty Hippies!". I'm still kicking myself for not pulling out the credit card and buying that 1930s belted back suit. By the time I went back...just a memory!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
If you are in Santa Rosa (gateway to the Wine Country) visit Hot Couture in Old Railroad Square (where Hitchcock filmed part of "Shadow of a Doubt").
If you do visit, drop me a line and I'll help show you how to get to the shop.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

tupmanzozzie

New in Town
Many thanks for these suggestions. Yes, we're going to be in a town called Sebastopol, but imagine we'll spend some time in SF and guessed there'd be good vintage to be had there.

Very pleased to hear about options closer to us though - will check them out and may be in touch to meet up, time permitting. Many thanks for suggestions so far!

Bugsy

One Too Many
tupmanzozzie said:
Many thanks for these suggestions. Yes, we're going to be in a town called Sebastopol, but imagine we'll spend some time in SF and guessed there'd be good vintage to be had there.

Very pleased to hear about options closer to us though - will check them out and may be in touch to meet up, time permitting. Many thanks for suggestions so far!

In Sebastopol, there is a vintage store called Aubergine. It's somewhat disorganize, but it has a lot of stuff in there. It's right on the main street going into town too.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
If you drive down Hwy 116 from Sebastopol there are a lot of antique shops.
If you go down Hwy 12 you wind up in Santa Rosa, where I am. :)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Oh, by the way, if you like chocolate bars bring ones from England. American chocolate, excepting See's, isn't as good a quality. :(

Sincerely,
The Wolf

tupmanzozzie

New in Town
Happy Trip

Many thanks to everyone for advice and offers of help. A great holiday and especially interesting trip to Haight Street where La Rosa and other stores were full of good stuff.

As ever, beautiful suits but of just the wrong fit. Back to bespoke... on the plus side my missus found a couple of nice tea dresses from the 50s.

Many thanks to all Californians for the splendid hospitality of their beautiful state. It's short stack pancakes for breakfast here in London now, to go with the Full English.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
tupmanzozzie said:
Many thanks to everyone for advice and offers of help. A great holiday and especially interesting trip to Haight Street where La Rosa and other stores were full of good stuff.

I used to manage La Rosa, found my husband there!
Always a gamble to see if there is something in one's size, suitwise. You find what you find and never more than one of everything...that's vintage for you.

Mr.Microphone

Familiar Face
This thread helped me out as well. I have been looking for vintage suits in the bay area, and it looks like I have a few places to check out now. What is the overall thought/feeling of things from Stacey Adams? From what I can tell, they have a vintage look but may not be fitted the same.

-Ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL