Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Bear via Chigaco?

unhatted

One of the Regulars
When I saw this CHP from Male Hide Leathers Chicago on Depop I was pretty certain from the coin pocket that it was a rebadged Golden Bear. After all, it seems fairly well documented that Als and other makers have been rebadged for various SF special interest retailers, so why not one in Chicago? Another member here has come to the same conclusion about the brand based on another Golden-Bear-alike jacket. However, I found this nice little history of the brand, which makes it clear they were a proper, in-house manufacturer: “The company began as a hobby by Goley, a self-taught leather craftsman… Customers were so keen to have Goley’s designs that he soon was working seven days a week on their production.” Later, the same article states that after 1984 the company expanded “carrying not only specialty designs by Goley and others but also mass-produced hats, jeans, vests, jackets, and accessories.”

So was Goley heavily inspired by Golden Bear or is this a post-expansion rebadge? I’m a bit flummoxed as it looks pretty identical to a GB, but seems older than ‘84. I know a lot of smaller manufacturers copied the Cal pattern, but this seems like a more obscure reference for duplication? Either way it’s a great jacket and a nice piece of history!

Took a gamble on the fit but am delighted with it, though it’s in need of some tlc. Some loose threads on the quilted stitching, shot gusset elastic and a little loss of the top layer of the leather on the cuffs and collar. Otherwise the (male) hide is spectacular. If anyone has any tips on what to do for this specific kind of peeling other than wear it gently then do let me know—was going to start with some Renapur and take it from there…

Photos:

IMG_8212.jpeg

IMG_8213.jpeg
IMG_8217.jpeg
IMG_8214.jpeg
IMG_8215.jpeg
IMG_8221.jpeg
IMG_8219.jpeg
IMG_8220.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members