Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Dog Names

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I give my cats human names, because cutesy cat names are undignified. My current feline is named "Carol."

Our first dog was a bull terror, uh, I mean a bull terrier, that we named Megan Marie. She was hyperactive, totally lacking in impulse control, and an all around destructive delinquent. I figured that an Irish name for one of a decidedly English breed was fitting. Her "second cousin," Honeytree's Evil Eye ("Evie"), portrayed "Spuds McKenzie" in those lite beer commercials.

I had wanted a BT since I saw the movie "Patton." And some lessons in life can only be learned from experience: I found out that I prefer laid back lethargic dogs to terriers of any breed.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I had a black cat as a child named Blackie (named by my mother). As an adult I had a black cat named Char, which was an American version of the Polish word for Black, as he was picked up outside a Polish restaurant. The waitresses called him Blackie, and I just couldn't call him the same name as my beloved Blackie. When we have a black cat again, we'll call him Blackie so my kids can have a Blackie.

Queenie was the name of the dog in Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory."

Wonderful story, by the way. I recommend it as a lesson in how to craft a tale.

I read the summary of the story and it looks very good. (It's also Capote, so what could one expect?)

I'm not sure when my father got the dog. I swear she's in some pictures when he was quite young- 1949 or 1950. (3 or so). My father loved Queenie, and wanted all his life to have another Toy Fox Terrier, but that never happened.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of my kids from work adopted a "rescue" pit bull last year and named him Radar because of his giant ears. He's a sweet, friendly dog, but also as numb as a rock. Since she's had him he's eaten several rubber toys, a buffalo horn, two whole tennis balls complete with fuzz, and a bag of nickels. I suggested "Goat" would have been a better name.

She brings him to work when she's in the office during the day and he very much enjoys romping around the theatre -- especially chasing me up and down the stairs. He's almost tripped me a couple of times, so I've learned to walk very slowly and deliberately around him.

Our current dogs names:L. J., Jack Russell mix named in honor of my maternal grandmother and dog lover Lela Jane; Bodie, Pitt Bull/ACD mix named because Cheyenne Bodie was one of my childhood western heroes; Sulley the Boxer mix for the "Monsters Inc." movie and two chihuahuas most commonly known as shut up and da$$it dog.

tb, are they putting braces on your dogs teeth? We pay a little north of $100 for a cleaning.

tb, are they putting braces on your dogs teeth? We pay a little north of $100 for a cleaning.

Where? It might be worth the trip to Alabama.

The lovely missus is looking into a less costly way to get it done. It seems they have to anesthetize the mutts (knock 'em out), which is a big part of the expense.

Our first dog was a bull terror, uh, I mean a bull terrier, that we named Megan Marie. She was hyperactive, totally lacking in impulse control, and an all around destructive delinquent. ...

An old girlfriend had such a beast, which she named Badger. She loved him, and vice-versa.

He and I also harbored similar sentiments toward each other, which is to say we pretty much pretended the other wasn't there.

Last edited:

emigran

Practically Family
Whomever it was said TIPPY... that's a great GE dog name...!!! when I was a kid my dear old Great Auntie had a black Cocker Spaniel named Tippy... had fun with him cause I could make him sit and lie down and fetch a ball or anythingyouwould throw for him...

Where? It might be worth the trip to Alabama.

The lovely missus is looking into a less costly way to get it done. It seems they have to anesthetize the mutts (knock 'em out), which is a big part of the expense.

tonyb, I was a little off on what it cost us. This is the invoice of the last two we had cleanings done on. This included the anesthesia.
image.jpg

While I've never had dogs of my own, my grandparents always had them -- an indefinable mutt named Teddy, a piano-playing fox terrier named Tippy, a border collie named Bonnie, and two toy fox terriers both named Patches.

I give my cats human names, because cutesy cat names are undignified. My current feline is named "Carol."

I knew a guy once who had an Old English Sheepdog named "Dave". Dave was the coolest dog I ever knew. Dave and his owner lived next door to the local dive bar, and sometimes Dave would come over an hang out, with or without his owner. People at the bar would say "Hey Dave" when he'd walk in.

Also, Dave and his owner were the classic example of people looking like their pets. If there was ever someone who looked like an Old English Sheepdog, it was Dave's owner.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Whomever it was said TIPPY... that's a great GE dog name...!!! when I was a kid my dear old Great Auntie had a black Cocker Spaniel named Tippy... had fun with him cause I could make him sit and lie down and fetch a ball or anythingyouwould throw for him...

Tippy the fox terrier, my grandparents' dog, was the first dog I remember -- he would go into the room where the piano was and scratch at it until somebody opened the cover over the keys. Then he'd stand up on his hind legs and bang the keys with his front paws until he got tired of it. My grandmother kept several cages of parakeets on top of the piano and they'd sing along.

My grandfather would turn off his hearing aid while this was going on, but the rest of us loved it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I was sent to live with my grandma when I was 2 or 3, not exactly sure. Grandma lived in an old 2-story house. The kind that
had an outside corridor or porch with swings. Grandma owned a dog named jake. (I never did find out why that name).
Although the neighborhood was nice, some of the kids were not. There was an arroyo nearby where I would go fishing or swimming.
jake would always be with me. He took care of me & would not let those kids hurt me. Where ever I went , it was jake & me.
Soon folks started calling me 2jakes. He was the best pal I ever had. jake was part pit-bull & German Shepard.

b3oowz.png

I pay homage to jake here on this forum. :eek:

Last edited:
Nice story. I tell a mother of two boys (ages 8 and 4, I think) that she really has to get those kids a dog. She grew up without one, so she doesn't quite "get" it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Thanks.....here’s another story, sad but true .

In the blazing hot summer of 102º in Port A, I stopped at a bait shop.
There was some commotion in the parking lot. Folks were gathered around a pick-up truck.
There’s one fellow with his head down in the middle of the crowd. Another guy close to him
in a slow quiet manner but with anger in his voice & tears in his eyes tells the guy....

"You left that helpless animal inside the truck & now he’s dead.
If he had lived...you know that dog would've have come to you as if nothing happened
& still have affection for you !"

Last edited:
...My cousins had a very original name for their dog - Puppy.
Back in the mid-80s, a friend of my then-work-supervisor had a male German Shepard named Kitty.

I've noticed a trend toward bestowing "people" names upon pets. I suppose it's of a piece with changing attitudes toward the furry little buggers...
I've never been a fan of "cute" names for dogs and/or cats, so I'm pleased to hear society is finally coming around to my way of thinking. :D

...A friend tells an amusing tale of "adopting" a cat at the Seattle Animal Shelter, and of his dealings with an officious worker there who essentially drilled him on how much money he expected to spend on this cat annually and what types of food he planned to feed it and that of course he must know that the animal must never venture out of doors, etc....
About three years into our marriage my wife and I decided to adopt our first cat. While we were at the shelter one of the ladies working there noticed our interest in a beautiful Russian Blue, rushed into the room, and began asking us about our level of interest in possibly adopting this particular cat. When we asked why she was so interested, she explained that she had simply taken a strong liking to this particular cat. When pressed, she finally revealed that she had been instructed to put the cat to sleep the week before, but couldn't do it and was hoping it would be adopted before anyone else realized it was still there. We adopted it, and during the "exit exam" (i.e., a final check to make sure the cat was healthy enough for adoption and hadn't contracted any medical issues during it's stay) this woman casually strolled through, gave the cat a little attention, and said, "Bye Justin." Both my wife and I looked at her and asked, "Justin?", to which she replied, "Yeah. Just in time." I'm sure that wasn't the first time she'd used that joke, but the name stuck.

...It seems they have to anesthetize the mutts (knock 'em out), which is a big part of the expense.
It's also very risky. Apparently, anesthesia isn't the "exact science" most people think it is, and I've had a number of people over the years tell me about a pet that died as a result of being overdosed by the anesthesiologist while at their veterinarian's office (including the aforementioned "Kitty").

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's also very risky. Apparently, anesthesia isn't the "exact science" most people think it is, and I've had a number of people over the years tell me about a pet that died as a result of being overdosed by the anesthesiologist while at their veterinarian's office (including the aforementioned "Kitty").

A good vet can do a mild cleaning without putting them under, at least for cats. We had a horrible cat (she was nearly feral) and bit and hissed and downright was nasty. I wore leather gloves and denim to catch her and get her in the carrier.

The first vet we took her to wanted to put her under FOR AN EXAM. As in, the vet wouldn't even take her out of the carrier. Then we went to this old time style cats only vet. He yanked her right out of the carrier, examined her, and then proceeded to clean her teeth with an explorer, single handedly. And she didn't even hiss (but boy, she ran back into her carrier like it was heaven sent).

We did have her put under to have some teeth removed, but I have never been so impressed with a vet in my life. (He does spay and neuter feral for free that are brought jnto his office, so he knows how to handle cats that don't do humans at all.)

We used to have a cat named Paul. My sister named him after this:
[video=youtube;12aoJyPim6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12aoJyPim6k[/video]
I currently have a cat named Randy. His brother passed last year, named Earl.

I've noticed a trend toward bestowing "people" names upon pets. I suppose it's of a piece with changing attitudes toward the furry little buggers.

The biggest character of a dog I think I've ever heard of was my Grandparents' Black Lab, Toby. I have no idea how long he lived, but he was around yet when I was a kid, and was there when my dad was still living with his parents. When my parents started dating, my mom would go over to my Grandparents' old house over on 60th st to see my dad. Toby didn't like Dad's attention being taken away from him (he loved my dad) and would intentionally move her shoes into the living room, behind Grandpa's chair. He would be sleeping, and she'd have to wake him up to get them back. It became a running joke and Grandma still laughs about it to this day.

Dad used to take Toby hunting with him all the time, usually in Kekoskee. There's a small bar there where him and Charlie would stop, get a couple burgers, and one for Toby. It got to the point where they'd pull up to the bar and Toby would start going nuts, because he knew he'd be getting a burger. The man who ran the bar would ask "does Toby want onions on his burger?" lol

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
10 years ago my dog died. It hurt very much but I had to go to work. I was driving to an assignment ( TV News) with
my reporter friend on the passenger side. He noticed my tears & asked, “what’s the matter buddy ?"

That did it, I burst into more tears & the more he asked the more I wailed.
Then I said to him.

“I’ll tell you...but if you make one crack or joke ...I’ll slap your face off” And I meant it !

"No ,I promise you...I won’t buddy..” he replied.

So I told him & all the reasons of how much this dog meant to me.
he started crying too.

We were late for the assignment but ...we had a good cry.

You know they are with us for such a long time...that it’s like loosing a kin ! Or more...depending...:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo