Golden Era Landscaping

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by ITG, Mar 18, 2007.

1. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

^^^^^
    A wholly anecdotal observation is that those freestanding garages were of a considerably smaller size than those built a couple-three decades later.

Outbuildings become part of the garden’s bones, for better or for worse.

Dixie_Amazon likes this.
  2. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

^^^ Around here they were/are referred to as Model T garages. Most are gone now though I do know of a few still standing.
    It's ironic, (normal ironic, not hipster ironic) that a fair number of newer automobiles would fit perfectly in them.

Dixie_Amazon likes this.
  3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Yep. My house -- 958 square feet -- has one of those dinky wooden garages. Wooden floor built across cement pilings sunk into the soil, and just room enough to fit a 1941 Dodge sedan and two garbage cans.

vitanola and Dixie_Amazon like this.
  4. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Practically Family

5. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

I looked through some of the many Home and Garden magazines I have from the 20s to the late 40s, which you'd think would cover the combination of those two spheres but, so far, nada. There's house, and there's garden, but the intersection of that Venn diagram is in the negative. I did find an ad with a picture that included what looked like a snake plant and philodendron sat upon a coffee table, but no actual articles.

Dixie_Amazon likes this.