Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Landscaping

^^^^^
A wholly anecdotal observation is that those freestanding garages were of a considerably smaller size than those built a couple-three decades later.

Outbuildings become part of the garden’s bones, for better or for worse.

3fingers

One Too Many
^^^ Around here they were/are referred to as Model T garages. Most are gone now though I do know of a few still standing.
It's ironic, (normal ironic, not hipster ironic) that a fair number of newer automobiles would fit perfectly in them.

Nobert

Practically Family
I looked through some of the many Home and Garden magazines I have from the 20s to the late 40s, which you'd think would cover the combination of those two spheres but, so far, nada. There's house, and there's garden, but the intersection of that Venn diagram is in the negative. I did find an ad with a picture that included what looked like a snake plant and philodendron sat upon a coffee table, but no actual articles.

Bugguy

Practically Family
My grandmother raised African violets in the house for at least 60 years. She had a few other plants, but the violets were her thing.

I'd forgotten the African Violets... a neighbor had them in a window with a blue grow light. Better than my current neighbor with a purple spotlight aimed at his house.

My mother and grandmother had cuttings from a Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera) that lived FOREVER. Like the Philo., we had spider plants (and little dangling spider plants) (Chlorophytum) that needed little more than sunlight.

Outside, like previously suggested, - privet hedges. Every yard in Chicago had them. We also had huge Catalpa Trees (non-PC: Indian Cigar Tree - apologies to the First Nations).

Snap-dragons (Antirrhinum) were a typical annual - don't see many today. And of course, Peony bushes (Ranunculus).

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Don't overlook the old Popular Mechanics magazines you see at yard and estate sales. They had articles on gardening and landscaping, nearly every month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider