Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Recording Artists who are Still Living

Chas

One Too Many
@Dismuke. What? You mean ditch the poptarts with repetitive generic dance moves and the lip syncing?

The Casa Loma Orchestra was the most popular band in N. America prior to Benny Goodman's "break out" cross-country tour. Some years ago I was given a box of discarded 78s. This was inside. Being a fan of Casa Loma, I was more than a little pleased.

glen.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Tony Bennett (aged 83) One of the classic crooners from the 40s and 50s and part of the famous "Rat Pack".

Probably a bit out of this league, but...

Tom Lehrer (aged 82) famous satirical pianist, whose noted songs included "The Elements", "Maschocism Tango", "Poisoning Pidgeons in the Park" and "Wiener-Schnitzel Waltz".

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Dismuke said:
Chas - I can see why you would be more than a little pleased. That is VERY neat.
Isn't it tho? :eusa_clap But - it does argue for my point about the CLO dropping off the radar.

One reason was probably Glen Gray himself. He did a series of recreation albums for Capitol in the 50s. He died in 1963 and to keep anyone from ever forming a CLO "ghost band" - I guess to keep the Lps selling - he left his library to Northeastern University with the proviso that no one could perform it in public for ONE HUNDRED YEARS after his death.*

*That's 2063, ladies and germs.

Djupis

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Svend Asmussen!
The Danish jazz violinist is now 94 and has been gigging since 1923!

I saw him here in Oslo a few years back along with Dick Hyman. He was probably the oldest in the concert hall (and I was probably the youngest), but he was still absolutely amazing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo