Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good quality hats for under $100

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'm a little late to the party, but I have both a Camp Draft and a Stylemaster. I love them both, just for different occasions. Creasing a hat isn't hard, and you won't hurt the hat if you have to do it several times to get it right.

maxrob200

New in Town
Just bought a Stetson OR off ebay that is made in Australia. Anyone have an idea how long ago that Akubra made OR under licence?

frussell

One Too Many
My first purchase from Everything Australian came in the mail today. Bluegrass Green Campdraft, took exactly 7 days from Australia to Southern California, and total cost was $108.98, shipping included. I've strictly been a HatsDirect customer so far, but this was an outstanding transaction, and the hat was as nicely packed as I've come to expect from the Hattery. Check if Sam has your size in a Campdraft, or follow the wise Mr. Dean's advice and get a DM Adventurer. Can't go wrong either way. Frank

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, I think the Bluegrass Green Campdraft is the best hat deal around.

I love mine, it is my bad weather hat so has taken a lot of abuse and is still as good as the day it arrived.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Just bought a Stetson OR off ebay that is made in Australia. Anyone have an idea how long ago that Akubra made OR under licence?

I don't have any info for you, but I can't wait to see the hat. I would really like to see the Akubra Stetson Open Road, since we talk about it so much here as the predecessor to the almighty Campdraft.

pjt113

One of the Regulars
I bought a vintage Stetson Open Road off Ebay for $20, had Optimo rebuild it for $80, so I think buying vintage is the way to go.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I bought a vintage Stetson Open Road off Ebay for $20, had Optimo rebuild it for $80, so I think buying vintage is the way to go.
Yes, indeed. In the Nineties I bought a series of new hats, but after a while was never quite satisfied with them. Since coming here, I've realized why: The newer hats from Stetson and Biltmore generally don't have that classic Thirties/Forties look.

Now, with eBay, you can do quite well. I've recently picked up an early-Fifties (?) Royal Stetson which has become my go-to hat, a short-brimmed Resistol fedora, and an Open Road with a 2.5" brim, each for under $80. You just need to do some research here (which is fun), know your size, and ask questions of the seller.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I don't have any info for you, but I can't wait to see the hat. I would really like to see the Akubra Stetson Open Road, since we talk about it so much here as the predecessor to the almighty Campdraft.
Go back in the archives a few years and there are a few posts talking about the Akubra "Stetson" with some pics as well. It looks just like a CD/OR of the period. There's a lot of good reading answering many questions you might have in the older posts here. Take some time and give 'em a read :)

T Rick

Practically Family
As shown in the thread, you actually DO have several good options at or very near the $100 mark. The Bluegrass Green Akubra Campdraft is certainly one of them, it was one of my first, and the open crown creasing is no trouble at all (not happy, simply start over, very easy!).

Two other options not mentioned in the thread, occasionally a real gem can be found in your size in an antique store. Prices usually less than half the $100 stated budget.

Also, there are two Outlet Stores that have new Stetsons at reduced prices. Sometimes as low as $75. Try the Hatco outlet in Garland TX, and the Stetson Outlet in St. Jo MO. I've bought 2 new Stetsons from St. Jo for under $100. They don't have websites, you need to call them (ph. number through Google). Determine your size, look at the Stetson Line (somewhere like the Fedora Store's website shows a lot of good pics of the line) and call to see if they have something suitable in your size.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Go back in the archives a few years and there are a few posts talking about the Akubra "Stetson" with some pics as well. It looks just like a CD/OR of the period. There's a lot of good reading answering many questions you might have in the older posts here. Take some time and give 'em a read :)

I did see that one that was posted a while back, but I am always interested in seeing more.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Under $100, keep on here and see the Akubras that show up ... just leave the 60s alone.

You can buy new condition hats, depending on your size, and meet some great hat folk at the same time.

You say you are new to fedoras.

I just recently gave away my last two "fill in" wool felt fedoras that I kept for "not dress" wear for several years. You can get the Jaxon verious from Village Hat Shop on line for under $40 in various colors.
I know they aren't the best, but the price is right and you can get a lot of wear out of them. I know I did a few years back as I was rebuilding from losing most of my vintage hats.

Good luck,

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I did see that one that was posted a while back, but I am always interested in seeing more.
Since these hats were sold in Australia, it would be up to the members from OZ who might come across 'em to post about 'em. Word I've read from OZ is folks down there mostly WEAR their hats so not many are found to collect :) I've seen a few and they are NOT any different than the current CD which is what the older OR was and is why most folks here like the CD, it's a currently made "vintage" style of hat :) Mabe some will pop up this next year. Every so often I've come across Aussie only models of Akubra's on the 'prey and you may want to keep an eye out there.

maxrob200

New in Town
I should get the Akubra Stetson OR in the next couple of days...it would be interesting to see how it compares with my Stetson 25 OR in terms of felt quality as the A Stet is 3x only

Dan Cav

New in Town

maxrob200

New in Town
Stetson/Akubra OR arrived today. 3x felt is very nice, heavier than my 25 and very soft by comparison. I will need to try to re-bash to a different crease on the crown as it currently has a sort of pork pie crease all around and it doesnt look right for an OR to me

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Bencraft sells the Cagney by Stefeno for $90 and Hats-plus has hats on sale for under $100.
So whats the deal on these Stefenos?....I've wondered about the Cagney, the Executive, and the Teardrop.....I've often thought...at the inexpensive price of the Teardrop, one could have the brim cut at whatever length they wanted...change the ribbon...and have the brim under welted or bound....then rebash it yourself if the felt was workable enough...and you would still be around $100 if you got it on sale...
Henry the Hatter and Hats-Plus had the Teardrop on sale for $65...At that price I could buy 2...have Henry's mechanic chop one to 2" and Bind the brim and send as an open crown....The other could just be sent as an open crown....Then I could have a tradition English Trilby, and a daily Fedora to put whatever creases I so desired, both for under $200....
What is the fur like on these hats....I know I can get exactly what I want for between $250-$300...But if the fur is cool on these Stefenos then I could afford to do some alterations and maybe get a nice hat that could serve me well in the meantime.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy