Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good strong everyday bag?

Will015

Familiar Face
That Klein bag would be pretty tough. I've used a number of their smaller tool pouches on the job for 12 years doing hard construction and we got them used. They are some super hard wearing items. They may be slightly tougher/heavier than you'd want to carry, if you're carrying it far.

A slightly lighter though much more expensive option would be a Filson Sportsman Bag. It's still gonna be pretty damn heavy duty. I don't have that particular model, but I do have a few other Filson bags and their quality is pretty damn fantastic.

Another option would be a Mason Tool Bag by Heritage Leather Company. I have no direct experience with this company, though they seem reasonably nice in photographs. I seem to remember my father keeping his masonry tools in the front seat of his truck in a similar bag when I was a child.

I think the problem with a bag this large is that you don't really want to carry it all too far. If it's only gonna be going from a car to an office and you like to carry a lot of stuff, it might be appropriate. However, if you plan on walking all over/taking public transit it's gonna be pretty damn big and heavy. You might be better off with a Filson brief case or maybe even a medium field bag. I personally use one of their small field bags for just this purpose but, I also don't carry too much (a sandwich, gloves, knife, water bottle, watch cap).

stiff upper lip

New in Town
Hi Shangas, I want to use the bag everyday for all sorts, from chucking in a bit of shopping, spare sweater/raincoat and all the accompanying gear I carry round...e.g. phone wallet, laptop occasionally. I also have to fit my kids' lunchbags in it in the mornings when I take them to school, I have a Belstaff colonial bag but it's too small for everyday use...also I am not the gentle type of user, I expect my bag to withstand real abuse....material wise not fussed, so could be leather but not shiny leather (would look like a pimp) I quite like canvas and style wise I'm quite open to military vintage, rugged work type or old fashioned....i'll know when I see it!!!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Bloody hell!

It sounds like what you want might be one of those old canvas or strong cloth duffel-bags. Something like this:

df-ch250.jpg

This is the biggest bag produced by Saddleback Leather. I've had no dealings with the company, but their stuff seems to be very good quality.

I've never had to carry around as much as you do. When I have the odd occasion when I know I'm going somewhere for the day, and I'll need to bring everything that I'll need during that day (like if I'm going to an all-day event and will be there...all day), I carry this with me:

1495562_1375474706044345_1673319310_n.jpg

Otherwise, I just use a regular leather messenger-style bag.

Last edited:

stiff upper lip

New in Town
Nice one guys, there's some great bags there from manufacturers I'd never heard of... chap mans have some lovely stuff and saddlebacks stuff looks top notch....looks like i'm gonna be spending too much again....already driven the wife insane with my jacket collection!!

gear-guy

Practically Family
Filson bags are great, also look at the North face base camp duffel. I have been using one for several years for travel and they are close to bomb proof.

stiff upper lip

New in Town

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Bloody hell!

It sounds like what you want might be one of those old canvas or strong cloth duffel-bags. Something like this:

df-ch250.jpg

This is the biggest bag produced by Saddleback Leather. I've had no dealings with the company, but their stuff seems to be very good quality.

I have a large Saddleback satchel - as I've written here elsewhere, they are amazing quality but so stiff, heavy and unyielding carrying the bag feels like you're carting a brick over your shoulder even when empty.

gwold

New in Town
I can vouch for Saddleback. I've had their Thin Briefcase for going on 3 years now. It's seen daily use, in commutes, business trips (stuffed into overheads & under seats), and on vacations; carries my laptop, note pads, pens, wires, cables, packages, etc.; and hardly shows the wear. I've also one of their belts (too tough for anything but my jeans!), and gave my lady a large Leather Tote. She's a teacher, hauling lots of papers, books, lunches, and packages in it every day. All good stuff, and I've no doubt that these things will, as they say on their site, be around for my grandkids to fight over.

Disclaimer: I've no association with SL, beyond being a happy customer. Although if they wanted to throw a Waterbag my way … ;-)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm, sounds like advertising spin to me. Curiously most Australians that do travel go overseas not in their own country.

I dunno about you, but it's my opinion that there isn't much to see in Australia. That's probably why. I've done a lot of traveling in my time, and I've gone to more places overseas than I can probably count. But I've never been to anywhere in Australia outside my state, apart from Hobart and Sydney.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
The only time that I spent in Australia was on the way to New Zealand. My wife loves bizarre geological structures and always wanted to see New Zealand. We had a great time.

As to the whole man bag thing, just stick a Harley Davidson patch on it and nobody will say a thing.

As for me, I use a Land's End back pack with well fitted water bottle pouches or a ballistic nylon bag - particularly the PUSH Pack by 511. Looks like a camera bag and holds all that I need.

Fed

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I dunno about you, but it's my opinion that there isn't much to see in Australia. That's probably why. I've done a lot of traveling in my time, and I've gone to more places overseas than I can probably count. But I've never been to anywhere in Australia outside my state, apart from Hobart and Sydney.

I guess that depends on what one considers worth seeing. I don't travel here or overseas since travel doesn't do it for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy