Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear Leather Italian Capeskin A-1 (size 46)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Comparison of A-1 jackets from Eastman Leather Company and Good Wear Leather

Hello again everyone

Apologies for another long post so soon after my recent set of photos of the Eastman Leather Company A-1. As I mentioned in a recent post, I had the good fortune to buy Steve’s (bseal) Good Wear A-1 and I’m posting a set of images here.

There appears to be no definitive pattern for the A-1 from the original photographs posted on the Forum. Although both examples compared here are based on original jackets bearing the label ‘Type A-1 Drawing No. AN-6501, A.C. Order No. 31-800 P’ (and smaller, separate square size labels), they differ in several elements of their detailing, which will be highlighted in the images. Both jackets are fastened with five horn buttons (backed with smaller white horn buttons) on the torso, two snaps at the knitted waist (earlier original examples also show two small button fastenings), and a further pair of buttons at the knitted collar.

This GW version of the A-1 is perhaps the third or fourth generation of this jacket – earlier examples in US domestic capeskin (and also horsehide) are shown on the Good Wear Leather website (http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/type_a1.html). To date this is the only jacket of this kind to have been made from the finely grained and figured Italian capeskin. This version is based on archive photographs, including the photographs of the extremely well weathered original in Suit Up (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=315&start=10).

For those not familiar with the pattern, it is not really designed for extensive layering as it fits closely and has been likened to wearing a sweater. Above all it’s a very comfortable jacket in use – the hide is lightweight and supple, but surprisingly strong due to the narrow graining.

The main elements of the construction are very similar to the ELC offering, with the exception that the sleeves are constructed in three pieces with a raw, unfinished edge and triple stitching. The colour of lining is more mustard coloured (compared with the darker brown lining of the ELC). The hide is incredible – soft and with a slightly satin sheen (it already looks vintage and I’ll be wearing it in daily to develop this further).

The photographs were taken this morning outside under cloudy November skies (with a bit of drizzle in the air).

For the record, the statistics of the jacket:

Good Wear Leather A-1 (46)
Weight = 1.1 kg
Shoulder width = 19.5” (49.5 cm)
Pit-to-pit = 23.5” (60 cm)
Front length = 24.5” (62 cm)
Back length = 26.5” (67.5 cm) (from top of back panel to bottom of waistband)
Arm length = 25” (63.5 cm) (including knitted cuff)
“Epaulette length” = 7” (17.5 cm)
Collar depth = 2.5” (6 cm)

IMG_8823.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

IMG_8825.jpg

IMG_8826.jpg

IMG_8827.jpg

IMG_8828.jpg

IMG_8829.jpg

IMG_8830.jpg

IMG_8831.jpg

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Will take some - JC's sizing is 'wartime' so this fits as a modern 44. It's trim and form fitting without being in any way tight. The body and shoulders fit me better than my previous ELC A-1 44. The sleeves are tapered with narrow sleeve ends.
Length is great - slightly longer than an A-2 and sitting just below the belt buckle. Owing to the hide the drape is spot on for the pattern.

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hi Jeff
I've posted similar images of the ELC capeskin A-1 in 42 that I sold recently. I have previously owned the same jacket in a 44.
The comparison of the same sized jackets: both jackets weigh the same. The ELC was slightly more blousy in the waist/small of back (needed HWT to tighten it) and the drape was slightly stiffer. Quality of hardware similar, knits of much higher quality on the GW.
Cut is more flattering on the GW - arms tapered but more comfortable, as is the armholes/shoulder region.
I prefer this hide - it has more character, but I had worn my ELC A-1s daily and they were creasing well and developing grain quickly.
You wouldn't be at all disappointed with an ELC A-1. It's the best of the off the peg jackets. Having tried both, my preference is for the GW. This hide is streets ahead of the older domestic capeskin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy