Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear Tuskegee A-2 Battle Worn 60 Year Old Version with Art

CBI

One Too Many
I posted this on VLJ - thought I would pass along:

Good Wear A-2 Aero 21996 Seal Brown Horsehide. Inspired by Tuskegee Airmen - Lt. George Hardy, 99th Fighter Squadron. His P-51 was named “Tall in the Saddle” possibly after the John Wayne Western released in 1944. Hardy flew 21 missions but I wanted a very battle worn/60 year old look. I enjoyed “working” on this jacket: painting, hot water, etc. It’s the exact jacket shown on John’s site. I went for the period "theater made/folk art look"

Added:

Gents – thanks. Just want to mention that this is new Japanese HH. This is what the exact jacket looked like new from Good Wear: http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gw21996_images4.html

I soaked the jacket in hot water (in the bathtub) for a few minutes, roughing it up a bit in the water until a slight clouding in the water from the dye in the leather can be seen. The jacket gets taken out, rung out VERY carefully, and then put in the dryer (with zipper zipped up) on regular heat for about 15-20 minutes. Then the jacket is removed, carefully turned inside out and placed back in the dryer. This process goes on until the jacket is about half dry. I then wore the jacket for a while (5 hours on and off) and then the jacket dried over the next few days. THIS NEW LEATHER REALLY SHRINKS SO BE CAREFUL TO NOT OVER-DRY. I did a little seam work with rubbing alcohol and a sanding block (very fine grade paper).

I painted the jacket. The paint use is enamel just like the stuff used in the 40’s (minus the lead). As most of you know, I painted about 50 leather patches for George Lucas’s new Red Tails movie so I can paint Tuskegee subjects on autopilot by now! Roberto also did lots of jacket art for the film as well as Diamond Dave (crusher caps) and of course – Good Wear Leather for the star A-2 jackets. Anyway, here are a few patches that were recently made but not for the film. Also, there has been a bit of discussion about nametags for A-2’s. The guy who makes then for Good Wear seems to make the best ones but I decided to try myself seeing as I had the correct leather. This was done with those mini screwdrivers one uses to work on models, eyeglasses, etc. tooled into/pressed into the leather.

IMG_4206.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4187-1.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

Fiver64

Practically Family
Wow.........

I love the nose-art, but mostly astonished by the degree of work you went through to "age" this beauty! I think it would take about a quart of JD in me before I could work up the guts to dunk any quality jacket in the tub! You could make money aging jackets for those of us who don't dare. The results are spectacular! Where did you pick up the know-how...... FL?

Papa M

A-List Customer
Courageous work. Who would have thought that such seemingly random physical abuse would have such a subtle affect.

The original pictures from the Good Wear site look wonderful (if a little shiny) and I'd personally never have dared to tamper with such a great jacket other than simply wearing it.

Peacoat

Bartender
Well, it looks like it has been through a few campaigns. Better not let John know what you did to his jacket. Probably not a good idea to have posted on VLJ forum, as he will find out for sure!

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Looks great. Do you order a larger size/length for jackets you intend to age to account for shrinking that could occur even with careful drying?

Mac

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
That seems to be a pretty trim fitting jacket (more than my Bronco). Maybe I need one. Does the Aero 21996 tend to be a close fitting jacket, or did it shrink during the process?

CBI

One Too Many
John loves it - no worries, a really like a trim fit (well, really all fits are cool), the jacket shrank almost a 1/2 size - however, wearing it half dry will create some tretching and great form fitting which creates a great customized fit. I actually still have plenty of room. If I were do do this, I would like a large fitting jacket to work with but it really varies. I have done this treatment to about 30 A-2's now (not all GW's of course). Never any problems. The Aero fit is actually kind of big all over (this contract). Also, less drying, less shrickage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner