Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear Werber 1402-P Grainy Steerhide: Size 46, As New Condition

Juanito

One of the Regulars
It pains me to list this for sale as I lusted over it for nearly 4 years before acquiring it, but when a jacket just doesn't fit right, it just doesn't.

I recently (November 2018) bought this from a friend of mine over on the VLJ site. Here's the original listing:

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...-werber-1402-in-grainy-cowhide-size-46.18390/

I have had it about 2 month or so and it is all that he described and more--simply a stunning jacket. The grain is unreal and the weight and density of the leather is substantial. That said, no matter how much I want it to fit (and it does everywher,e except for length), it is simply too long for my frame by about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. For reference, I am 5'8", wear a 16 x 33 dress shirt, weight 175 right now, and size 46 Good Wear jackets that fit John, typically fit me very well, but this doesn't. The description of the person it would fit in John's description is probably accurate. I think you would want to be 5'10" or a little more for it to hang right.

Here is the link to the Good Wear site for the listing of this jacket: http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_werber1402_0001.html

Here's the description from John's site:
Fit: this pattern is a comfortable fit in the correct size
Leather: aniline overtly grainy cowhide
Knits: mid-brown wool
Thread: reddish brown cotton
Zipper: reproduction M-42 Talon with vintage M-42 Talon slider
Size: 46
s.gif

This jacket is an updated Werber pattern based on an original Werber 42-1402-P that we recently received. The jacket is a test model, and has been made with a very grainy cowhide that we have a small amount of. The pattern is comfortable, and it looks great.
s.gif

This cowhide is extremely grainy, and a percentage of original A-2 jackets have a similar amount of grain, though it's more rare than common. The leather is weighty and firm, and the finish is a very vintage looking aniline that will show edge-wear in a manner like originals.
s.gif

The other details of the jacket match originals, from thread color to lining color. Original Werbers from this contract all have Crown zippers from what we can tell, but we chose to use a reproduction Talon zipper with this test model (the slider is a vintage Talon slider).

The Measurements: As the original buyer noted in his original listing, the measurements differ slightly from those listed on the Good Wear site. I have measured the jacket and confirm the measurements as such:

Pit to Pit 23 1/4 inches
Shoulder to Cuff (along curve) 26 1/4 inches
Base of Collar to Bottom of Waistband 25 3/4 inches
Shoulders 19 inches
Wind flap 23 1/4 inches

I am asking exactly what I paid for it that what I paid for it $650 shipped. Shipping within the US will be via USPS Priority Mail, International shipping will also be via USPS Priority Mail for the exact cost.

While it is an outside chance, I would be interested to trading for Dubow pattern that fits a little better.

Payment via PayPal--thanks!

A few quick photos of my own taken today:

Photos of Jim's from the listing a couple of months ago:

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
The second (i.e. if @seres changes his thoughts - I'll take it then).
I love it and will take it with my pleasure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko