Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodnight Sweetheart Anyone?

StraightSeamGal

New in Town
Just wondering if any of you guys or gals had seen Goodnight Sweetheart?

It was a british comedy/sci-fi which run from 1993 - 1999 starring Nicholas Lyndhurst as a time traveller, from modern day London he visits war torn London and begins a secret life.

Its one of my favourite shows full of laughs and really great hair and clothing ideas too.

It can be found on youtube and bought on amazon, just wondering if you guys had seen it. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
*Loved* this show -- the first four series ran on our local PBS station about ten years ago, and last year I finally got to see the rest of it via DVD. Phoebe, especially, is a great character -- always stronger and smarter than she thinks she is.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All six series came out in a Region 2 box set last year -- I picked mine up on eBay, but I think you can also order it from Amazon UK. I had the same sound synch issues with the first-series episodes, but not on the rest of the set, so I think it was some kind of tech glitch that's brought to the surface by multi-region players. But the rest of the discs are fine -- a very enjoyable set!!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
StraightSeamGal said:
Just wondering if any of you guys or gals had seen Goodnight Sweetheart?

It was a british comedy/sci-fi which run from 1993 - 1999 starring Nicholas Lyndhurst as a time traveller, from modern day London he visits war torn London and begins a secret life.

Its one of my favourite shows full of laughs and really great hair and clothing ideas too.

It can be found on youtube and bought on amazon, just wondering if you guys had seen it. :)
Thanks for posting, hadn't heard of the show but from your description & youtube, looks like a winner on many levels; just ordered series 1 of 6.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Ducketts Passage to the Royal Oak

I LOVE that show!
It was broadast here on some PBS stations, but most people missed it.
For anyone not familiar, a henpecked `90s guy enters a theme pub & slowly realizes he's stumbled thru a timewarp to the `40s. He falls for the barmaid & begins a double life pretending to be part of the mysterious underground.

there are some episodes on youtube

series1ep1part1

Shearer

Practically Family
MrBern said:
I LOVE that show!
It was broadast here on some PBS stations, but most people missed it.
For anyone not familiar, a henpecked `90s guy enters a theme pub & slowly realizes he's stumbled thru a timewarp to the `40s. He falls for the barmaid & begins a double life pretending to be part of the mysterious underground.

there are some episodes on youtube

series1ep1part1

Danke, I can't find it on Netflix.

Edward

Bartender
Not a bad show. They could have done more with his conscience - or possibly lack thereof - over the adultery thing, but that aside I thought it was well done. Good sense of period, with only very occasional slip ups (like the policeman writing with his left hand - he'd have had that beaten out of him in school in those days). I loved the episode wherein he tries to buy shares in a company in the 40s that he knows will do very well in the 90s, and they have "real-life" equivalents of the Dad's Army guys working in the bank. lol

How did they end it, does anyone know? I don't recall ever seeing a definitive ending to it, though there were one or two episodes where he was having to make a choice as the timewarp was going to close?

swankysister

New in Town
Edward said:
How did they end it, does anyone know?

The Wikipedia page for the show describes how it ends. Warning about spoilers, etc. :)

The show is being rerun in Australia at the moment on Saturdays, ABC, around 6.00 pm I think, for any Australians who haven't seen it before.

I chuckle at how Gary sings a Beatles song (or other modern classic) and they think he was a brilliant songwriter.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I recently rediscovered this, I used to think it was the absolute height of naff as a child but its actually rather sweet. the character of Phoebe was and still is my favourite.

Edward

Bartender
It was never exactly cutting edge as comedy, but still quite entertaining. Seems to me that it has aged a lot better than some of the stuff that was around at the same time too.

Swing Kitty

New in Town
Aww, I love Goodnight Sweetheart - I used to watch it when I was younger, and they've just been re-running it on one of the ITV channels recently. I prefered the earlier ones though, with Dervla Kirwan as Pheobe.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I remember I liked this when it began but got a bit bored and never saw the later ones properly, just catching bits here and there. The first Phoebe was definitely better than the later one. I seem to remember the costumes might have been a bit off here and there but I would have to re-watch it!

Edward said:
Good sense of period, with only very occasional slip ups (like the policeman writing with his left hand - he'd have had that beaten out of him in school in those days).

Not necessarily true. My Grandmother, a Leftie born 1911, was never forced to change hands although her father, born c.1886 was. Even though he was forced to change he still had beautiful handwriting as we still have postcards etc written by him.

Then about 1950 my mother went to stay with her Great Aunt in a small town whilst my Grandmother went away for 3 months to Australia. The local teacher tried to make her use her Right hand instead of her Left (there are a LOT of Lefties in my family) Her Great Aunt, an ex teacher, marched straight down to the school and gave that teacher a right telling off.

My Mum's still a Left hander. ;)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Goodnight Sweetheart is enjoyably goofy. The later ones where her befriends and influences Noel Coward are a hoot, ditto the one where he gleefuly nicks all of Elton John's songs and sings them in a 40's stylee!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot