Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwill buys

It's miserable, I usually just buy dress shoes or classic styled work boots or cowboy boots and call it a day. Some brands have me into a 14 even! I spent all of elementary school/middle school being made fun of for my big feet. I wore a men's 8 by 3rd grade.

Finding vintage anything is tough. XL shirts, 40x32 pants (I can fit a 38x32 if they're good pants) I always am hitting my grandpa up for any vintage goodies he may have that he doesn't wear anymore, I'm small compared to him. He's about 6'4 and 350 lbs. I come from large stock, Mom and Dad are both 6 foot, and my dad's a body builder.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Holy cow AtomicEraTom, what are they putting in the water up there? I'm not a whole lot smaller than you...try finding 48R suits and 18x35 shirts in vintage wear. I wear a 48R jacket but the pants only need a 40 inch waist, so EVERY suit I buy needs a bunch of work on the pants, to the point that the pants don't always look right...the legs are too full. I went out and bought a little sewing machine to experiment with and learn on, and I'm on the lookout for a bigger machine, so some day I can do my own alterations, without paying a tailor a fortune to work on my suits.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I didn't have any great success this week...2 golf shirts for $3 a piece, and 3 sets of cufflinks for $2 a pair. I have started accumulating french cuff shirts, so fo course I need cufflinks to go with them...

davestlouis

Practically Family
No suits again, but a pair of British Walkers, made in USA, burgundy calf gunboats, with almost new 1/2 soles and Cats Paw heels. $8.99 at Value Village, in 12D.

AtomicEraTom said:
It's miserable, I usually just buy dress shoes or classic styled work boots or cowboy boots and call it a day. Some brands have me into a 14 even! I spent all of elementary school/middle school being made fun of for my big feet. I wore a men's 8 by 3rd grade.

Finding vintage anything is tough. XL shirts, 40x32 pants (I can fit a 38x32 if they're good pants) I always am hitting my grandpa up for any vintage goodies he may have that he doesn't wear anymore, I'm small compared to him. He's about 6'4 and 350 lbs. I come from large stock, Mom and Dad are both 6 foot, and my dad's a body builder.

Man oh man! That is tough for sure. I suppose you were growing at the 110% when you were young. Who would make fun of a kid with size 8 feet?! You could get your hands on them pretty fast---running I mean. ;)
You haven't done any geneology to see if you have Hercules somewhere in there; have you? :D

davestlouis said:
Holy cow AtomicEraTom, what are they putting in the water up there? I'm not a whole lot smaller than you...try finding 48R suits and 18x35 shirts in vintage wear. I wear a 48R jacket but the pants only need a 40 inch waist, so EVERY suit I buy needs a bunch of work on the pants, to the point that the pants don't always look right...the legs are too full. I went out and bought a little sewing machine to experiment with and learn on, and I'm on the lookout for a bigger machine, so some day I can do my own alterations, without paying a tailor a fortune to work on my suits.

I know what you mean. My son's jackets fit him fine but the pants are way too long for him and when shortened, they look kind of wide. A three year old wearing a suit is a bit of an oddity as it is but when he is the size of an seven year old....:D

davestlouis

Practically Family
jamespowers, wait until your kiddo outgrows ya...My 21 year old daughter is over 6 ft tall, the 20 year old boy is 6'2, 240ish, even the 15 year old is 6ft, 200ish...you should see the kids eat, it's amazing!

James71

A-List Customer
Atomic Tom, Im feeling for you mate.

Im almost the same dimensions as you, (6'1, 240ish with size US13 feet). Real vintage is just not an option with these dimensions.

Buying clothes, and particularly shoes, is a nightmare in Australia. I assume this is a result of numerous factors.

Our population is relatively small so its not economically viable to buy in sizes that are not popular in short runs.

We have an increasingly asian population (particularly in heavily populated centres) whom, on the whole, are smaller in stature and have smaller feet than those of us with european heritage.

Consequently, I tend to buy all my clothes in the USA. My wife is american and we go back every year or so to visit. I love clothes shopping there, both for the incredibly variety that you have in many sizes, and also for the fact that I get to buy from the middle of the rack, rather than the extreme right hand end like I do here. Its nice buy something that not XXL for a change.

The good news is we have Akubra, and I live in the same town as Hats Direct, so at least I have hats covered....

I have a terrible time with clothes in general. My pant size is popular in these parts, however. 38x32's are a very common size around here. Shirts are tough however. I wear an XL, but always with rolled sleeves, because long sleeved shirts never are long enough for me. Fruit of the loom white T-Shirts are a pain too, because they're never long enough in the torso. What a nightmare!

davestlouis said:
jamespowers, wait until your kiddo outgrows ya...My 21 year old daughter is over 6 ft tall, the 20 year old boy is 6'2, 240ish, even the 15 year old is 6ft, 200ish...you should see the kids eat, it's amazing!

You should see the three year old eat now! Growing at the 100th percentile takes lots of fuel. :p He should outgrow me easily. lol
The one year old is sort of finicky so he is not exactly flying up in height.

davestlouis

Practically Family
My kids are 21, 20, 17, 15, 14, and 2 12 year olds, and they all know how to eat! I also have 3 who are getting braces this year, 5 need new glasses before school starts in the fall, 3 are driving, and will need tires before the snow falls...aarrgghh

Anyway, now you understand why I spend so little money on my clothes, the kids are bleeding me dry. And don't get me started in the vet bills for the 3 dogs, 2 of whom are on meds for seizures...

davestlouis said:
My kids are 21, 20, 17, 15, 14, and 2 12 year olds, and they all know how to eat! I also have 3 who are getting braces this year, 5 need new glasses before school starts in the fall, 3 are driving, and will need tires before the snow falls...aarrgghh

Anyway, now you understand why I spend so little money on my clothes, the kids are bleeding me dry. And don't get me started in the vet bills for the 3 dogs, 2 of whom are on meds for seizures...

Holy Crimony! Six Children! Aside from driving me insane, the monetary drain is just something else. Note to self: get vasectomy. ;) :p
I can just imagine what college costs will be. :eek: :eusa_doh:

davestlouis

Practically Family
Seven actually...they are my new avatar pic. I have 2 in college now, one who is a junior in HS...that one will get scholarships, I hope. You should see my car insurance bill:eek:

davestlouis said:
Seven actually...they are my new avatar pic. I have 2 in college now, one who is a junior in HS...that one will get scholarships, I hope. You should see my car insurance bill:eek:

Seven?!
www.MessenTools.com-Varios-big-071.gif

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've been hitting goodwill looking for clothes for the kiddos too...several of them are into the whole process, several others think it's not cool to buy from thrift stores, so I've told them: if ya want fancy stuff from Macy's, get a job and buy it yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany