Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwill buys

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
It's a weekly ritual of mine to hit up the local thrift shops and try to come across some awesome treasure. Most of the weeks I walk out empty-handed, since mens donations are down in the area. This week though, I got lucky. (Couldn't link the photos into the thread; they're a tad bit large for the page, and I don't know if it auto-scales)

"Churchill Whip-Moc" loafers. I can't find anything on the company though.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff135/fallout81/DSC00356.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff135/fallout81/DSC00359.jpg

And an orphaned Hart Schnaffner Marx suit jacket, which I plan on using as a sports coat. I'd say it's late 80's/early 90's, and the lapels actually sit fairly high up on me (they hang odd on the hanger though)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff135/fallout81/DSC00360.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff135/fallout81/DSC00362.jpg

Here you go, hope this helps:

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

Great loafers!

Cheers,

Danny O

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
On tailoring second-hand finds:

I found one or two great suits this past week, however, they range in size from 40 to 42, and I'm a 38... Is it worth getting alterations, or should I wait around for the slim chance of finding something agreeable in my size? (a rarity in these parts)

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars

I found one or two great suits this past week, however, they range in size from 40 to 42, and I'm a 38... Is it worth getting alterations, or should I wait around for the slim chance of finding something agreeable in my size? (a rarity in these parts)

I'm a 36R and I find 38s at Goodwill all the time and have to pass them up. We should start a suit club or something where we buy any nice undamaged suits we find and then trade them within the club later.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thats a rather nice idea. Often I tell my friends if I find something that isn't my size. Vintage suits should be bought and given to people who appreciate it.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I've wondered this myself. I'm a 36 also and I am always wary of picking up larger sizes. I know tailors can take suit jackets in, but I'd guess at some point it begins to screw up the proportions of the suit. Anyone have a good rule of thumb for how many sizes above my own I should feel comfortable picking up?

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
thats a rather nice idea. Often I tell my friends if I find something that isn't my size. Vintage suits should be bought and given to people who appreciate it.

I've started a database file with us in it. If you post or message me your jacket length (S/R/L), your waist and leg measurements, and your prefered cut, i.e. classic, athletic, or portly, then I'll slap it all in there and if I get one to trade I'll let you know. Here's the first update: at the moment I have nothing to trade. We're the only people in the club. Also it doesn't have a name. Still, I hope to collect more traders for the club as we go along. I did just have a really nice Chaps 42R black solid suit, 100% wool of course, but I gave it to a friend who I think it'll fit perfectly. However if it doesn't I might get that back. I should probably add a bit in the database for prefered colors and patterns too. I myself like black, navy, gray, blue and dark browns, in solids or muted pinstripes and plaids. No tans. Hate them.

Anyone else who wants in, let me know.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Frank Sinatra's vintage suit jacket

Found this several weeks ago at a Goodwill thrift store near Hollywood Blvd. Goodwill didn't know what it had!

It's a vintage smooth-finished tan wool gabardine suit jacket custom made for FRANK SINATRA in 1966 by Carroll & Co., the exclusive Beverly Hills haberdashery (located at that time on Rodeo Drive). Measures to be a size 40 Short. Fully lined; the lining has a paisley print.

I’ve included a black & white image of Mr. Sinatra wearing a darker version of this jacket while singing at a late ‘60s concert.

The quality of tailoring is excellent. All buttonholes are handsewn, and the sleeves have working buttonholes (or “surgeon’s cuffs”).

Sinatrasuit1.jpg

FrankSinatraauctionphotoed.jpg

Sinatrasuitlabeloutside.jpg

Sinatrasuitlabel.jpg

Sinatrasuit3.jpg

Sinatrasuit2.jpg

Sinatrasuitcuff.jpg

Sinatrasuitback.jpg

BowlofRice

New in Town
Hmm...none of my friends know that my old-fashioned clothes come from either Goodwill or Value Village...Well, anyways, as far as I know those are the only places I can find those types of clothes...I mean, what store in the mall sells double-breasted suits and/or double breasted overcoats? The prices are pretty good, too! Today, at Goodwill, I found a nice dark green six-on-two double breasted blazer without the pants, but when I went to the pants section they had a pair of dress pants (in my size, too! :D ) that were so close, if not exactly matching the color of the blazer. I also got a really nice beige six-on-one double breasted suit with stripes that makes me feel like I'm in the '80s or '90s when I wear it, until of course I put my gray fedora on!

MikeBravo

One Too Many

No harm in getting a quote for the alterations. The cost may be worth it, and you won't have to wait for the perfect fit (Can be rare to find)

Found this '40s vintage jacket today at Value Village ...

GEDC0824.jpg

Price was right ....

GEDC0823.jpg

I'm tickled, really. It's in very nice condition and it's of a size (a 46 or so, maybe a skosh larger) that's awfully hard to find in vintage attire. According to the label, it's a Hart, Schaffner and Marx that was purchased new at a local store that went the way of all things several years ago.

Last edited:

CeeDee

New in Town
Found this '40s vintage jacket today at Value Village ...

GEDC0824.jpg

Price was right ....

GEDC0823.jpg

I'm tickled, really. It's in very nice condition and it's of a size (a 46 or so, maybe a skosh larger) that's awfully hard to find in vintage attire. According to the label, it's a Hart, Schaffner and Marx that was purchased new at a local store that went the way of all things several years ago.

Great suit coat...finds at Value Village are harder and harder to find. I love the pin-stripes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112