Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwill buys

My wagon is a MO car. Loved it and just had routine maintenence work on it here and there. I am going to sell it now and some other young guy can enjoy it like I did. Those old ones that you can tell what's going in in the engine bay are the ones to have.

davestlouis said:
atomiceratom, my car cutoff is about 1995...in MO anything older is emissions exempt. I also like to open a hood and see real ignition wires and a distributor,and other items I recognize. $500 will buy a lot of late 80s-early 90s cars around here...good running daily drivers that don't tend to be rusty due to our climate and galvanized steel.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I hit 'em jack pot

This morning while eating breakfast, I got the itch to go thrift store shopping... thanks to reading through this thread yesterday evening no less.

In a few hours time, mostly due to the shops in Orlando being spread out, I found a NICE Heart Shaffner & Marx Jack Nickalus jacket [union made], an older but in excellent condition white Brooks Bros shirt, an Austin Reed shirt I bought cause I liked the color, and a Johnny Carson jacket. All for less than $20!

Both jackets are in excellent shape, I really am fond of the Carson, it's pretty snazzy.

Randy

davestlouis

Practically Family
Ya gotta love it. The bargains are great, but the process of finding the deals is the part I like. I bought a 1950s era Tissot watch yesterday on the local craigslist. Swiss bumper-drive automatic, simple, clean lines, on a 70s era stratch metal band...$30. The watch is cool, and it came in an even cooler Belforte hard plastic box. The search is the fun part to me, though.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Not a suit, but I'll list it anyway...nice Allen Edmonds McCallister black wingtips at Value Village followed me home yesterday for $5.99. They need heels but otherwise they're in good shape. The store had a tuxedo in my size, but it had notch lapels and I just didn't care for the way it was cut, so I passed.

davestlouis said:
Not a suit, but I'll list it anyway...nice Allen Edmonds McCallister black wingtips at Value Village followed me home yesterday for $5.99. They need heels but otherwise they're in good shape. The store had a tuxedo in my size, but it had notch lapels and I just didn't care for the way it was cut, so I passed.

Nice find. Those shoes go for a lot more new. Sending them back to the company for reworking would certainly cost plenty though. ;) :p

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've never had any recrafting done, I just have local cobblers put heels and soles on as necessary.

I went to several Goodwill locations this weekend, came home with a total of ONE long sleeve casual sueded cotton shirt for $3, no suits that fit. Found a pair of Florsheim dress shoes that followed me home for $5.99 also, my gut tells me they're vintage, but I can't seem to get pics to load, so I can't show anybody what they look like...

davestlouis

Practically Family
I feel good about this purchase...black DB wool topcoat, "Exclusively for You by Lord & Taylor", has doghair on it, but otherwise intact, fits perfectly...$10.77 with sales tax, at Value Village today.

davestlouis

Practically Family
He's a creepy little dog too, I had to hang it in a coat closet that he can't get into...apparently the donor had a white female dog, and my little Boston Terrorist is enamored with the scent of the other beastie.

Talbot

One Too Many
Charcoal grey single breasted Hugo Boss 3 button suit. I like the fact it has no vents and only cost me $30 at the Salvo's.

I'm wearing it now.

Talbot

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Talbot said:
Charcoal grey single breasted Hugo Boss 3 button suit. I like the fact it has no vents and only cost me $30 at the Salvo's.

I'm wearing it now.

Talbot

I reckon there is something going on here. Three button suits are suddenly not quite in fashion and are being 'dumped' in some numbers. Now I quite enjoy a three button suit and don't really care for fashion so much so...bonanza.

I picked up a really nice Italiian-made Principe 3B suit at salvos in perfect condition for $35 - navy with royal blue pinstripe. At our local markets, I bought a Canali 3B in deep midnight blue (with fine self strpie) and a Versace Collection 3B in navy with a pale grey chalk stripe. Now, these were $150 each but practically unworn condition and crazy quality.

The Canali is my favourite :)

Talbot

One Too Many
Selvaggio said:
I reckon there is something going on here. Three button suits are suddenly not quite in fashion and are being 'dumped' in some numbers. Now I quite enjoy a three button suit and don't really care for fashion so much so...bonanza.

I picked up a really nice Italiian-made Principe 3B suit at salvos in perfect condition for $35 - navy with royal blue pinstripe. At our local markets, I bought a Canali 3B in deep midnight blue (with fine self strpie) and a Versace Collection 3B in navy with a pale grey chalk stripe. Now, these were $150 each but practically unworn condition and crazy quality.

The Canali is my favourite :)

Yes, $150 does seem like a lot (sharp intake of breath through clenched teeth), but in that condition I'd do it too. Do you pay a lot for alterations, or are these ready to go?

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
No alterations to the jackets. I had the trousers on the Canali taken up and the seat/waist on the Versace let out for $40 all up.

So expensive by market/thrift standards...but, they look practically new and what do you pay for a new Canali RTW bag-o-fruit? $1500?

I'm kind of new to this thinking, but I figure I would rather buy quality second hand, if it is available, than a cheap off-the-rack new.

Selvaggio said:
I'm kind of new to this thinking, but I figure I would rather buy quality second hand, if it is available, than a cheap off-the-rack new.

That's the gist of it, Selvaggio. You've undoubtedly heard that old line "every car on the road is a used car." That's way of thinking is doubly (or more) fitting in the case of clothing. The used stuff, which can be had for an even smaller fraction of the price new, is often a whole lot better. You just gotta know where to look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24