Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GORGEOUS! Vanson x Left Field "Commando" Jacket. No. 7 of only 20 made! C. 38, 40.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
VANSON & LEFT FIELD COLLABORATION!

"COMMANDO JACKET"

No. 7 of ONLY 20 EVER MADE!

This is absolutely GORGEOUS! Vanson needs no introduction--they are one of the premier leather jacket makers, specializing in extremely beautiful and extremely functional motorcycle leathers. Left Field was started in 1998 in Brooklyn, NY, by Christian McCann, who admired the high quality of the vintage USA-made menswear that he collected from Philadelphia thrift stores, and wanted to bring the manufacture of similarly high quality clothing back to the USA. With its focus on classic American denim workwear, made in America from traditional materials, and designed to be utterly functional as well as extremely good-looking, Left Field attracted the attention of Vanson--a company with a similar focus on classic, durable, American clothing where forum follows function, quality is always exceptional, and decades of use is expected of each garment.

It didn't hurt that McCann rides a Norton motorcycle--and wears a Vanson jacket to do so, precisely as it met Left Field's own view of what clothing should be like.

In 2015 Vanson approached Left Field to collaborate in making clothing, and the idea for the Commando jacket was born. By July the first prototype was ready, and it was agreed that it needed some tweaking, to make it perfect. Soon, the second prototype was ready--and that was it. The perfect biker jacket--a classic American icon, slightly longer in the body so that it could readily be worn by non-riders without it looking too short off a bike.

In October 2015, the "Commando" was offered to the public in STRICTLY limited numbers--JUST 20 OF EACH SIZE AND LINING CHOICE WERE MADE. This version--Size M, with classic tartan lining--sold out almost immediately, and so is no longer available. THIS IS NO.7 OF 20!

These jackets are utterly American. They're made in Fall River, Massachusetts, a town that used to be in the forefront of the American textile industry, with the mills largely staffed by English immigrants form the mill towns of Lancashire, and Scottish mill-workers from Glasgow.

The leather is chrome-tanned, which renders it both soft and extremely durable, as well as able to be dyed. Then, it's drum-dyed in vast oak drums, with the dyes, oils, and hot water its dyed in making it stronger and more durable, as well as giving it a rich, uniform color. It's also hot-stuffed--stuffed with melted wax, making it even tougher and harder. This is leather that is built to last--just the sort you'd want in a biker jacket that you'll own for the rest of your life.

Naturally, since this is a Vanson jacket the leather is perfectly suited for riding, being Vanson's Z-150 leather, which Vanson describes as being a special (and *very* slightly lighter than the standard comp. weight leather) version of competition weight leather and 1.2mm thick. (Thanks to the comments below for clarifying things here!) The fluid zipper is nickel-plated, matching the rest of the hardware. This jacket has all of the features that you'd expect in a biker jacket; a collar that can be secured down by studs, shoulders designed for ease of movement, thick, durable zippers on all of the pockets, both inside and out, a heavy kidney panel at the back for additional protection, zipper-closed cuffs, a fully functional change pocket.

But it also comes with extras--a zipped security pocket in the interior, a hidden slash pocket under the lapel, and a beautiful tartan lining in 12oz Scottish tartan. It's a tribute to the quality of this jacket that the lining is not only in the body of the jacket, but also inside all of the pockets, and underneath the pocket flaps, too. And, of course, this jacket carries both the classic Vanson label as well as the Left Field label.

This jacket was limited to only 20 pieces--and this size and lining option sold out quickly! It is no longer available.

This jacket is in ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT condition. Under a year old, it has only been worn a few times, and almost never outside. This is effectively a new jacket. As such, this is an absolute BARGAIN at just $525, OR OFFER, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA. (I purchased this jacket here from nick123 for that price, but the sleeves are just too short for my simian arms, so I'm passing it on for what I paid for it--very reluctantly, as it's gorgeous!) International inquiries are welcome, with insured Priority Mail shipping at cost. This jacket originally sold for $850, plus shipping, and, recall, this sold out almost immediately at that price.

Please PM with interest and offers!

This is tagged a size M; it would work best for persons in the 38 - 41 size range, depending on how you prefer such jackets to fit.

Measurements:

Chest: 21 1/2
Sleeve (measured along the outside curve): 26 1/4
Sleeve (measured straight down, like a suit jacket): 25 1/2
Shoulder: 19 1/4
Length (bottom of collar, at back): 27

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
Great looking jacket. If it is indeed the Z150 leather, then it is made from a lighter weight material than is Vanson's heavy-weight competition leather.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
Great looking jacket. If it is indeed the Z150 leather, then it is made from a lighter weight material than is Vanson's heavy-weight competition leather.

Thanks for catching that! I've checked with Left Field, and they've confirmed that it's competition weight leather, so I've corrected my description above.

Vanson describes the Z-150 as a special waxy version of their comp weight leather. Having owned a Derby jacket in it and a comp weight model E I'd say they are very similar. The regular comp weight being slightly heavier. But don't be fooled, the Z-150 is by no means soft or lightweight!

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
Vanson describes the Z-150 as a special waxy version of their comp weight leather. Having owned a Derby jacket in it and a comp weight model E I'd say they are very similar. The regular comp weight being slightly heavier. But don't be fooled, the Z-150 is by no means soft or lightweight!

That's very helpful--thanks, nick123 and ton123! I've updated the description, above!

OFFERS WELCOME! :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner