Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my first B-3 Jacket today. Looking for fit advice. How should it fit?

Shin

Familiar Face
They're meant to be short but it's up to you, did you specify a certain length or just ask for an extra 3cm? It's usually a good idea to compare measurements to your current well fitting jackets. What thickness sheepskin did you pick?
18 mm
And yes I specified a 64 cm of desired back length (we didn't talk about front length as I simply assumed that it should be lengthened in proportion of the back). My Levi's leather trucker jacket has a back length of 62 cm and its front length is about 4 or 5 cm longer than this B3 jacket there. Which is quite odd. Did they forget to lengthen the front length?

18 mm
And yes I specified a 64 cm of desired back length (we didn't talk about front length as I simply assumed that it should be lengthened in proportion of the back). My Levi's leather trucker jacket has a back length of 62 cm and its front length is about 4 or 5 cm longer than this B3 jacket there. Which is quite odd. Did they forget to lengthen the front length?
I suspect the interior fleece probably ate up some of the overall length. For what it's worth I think your jacket looks great. Personally, I would want it a bit longer.

seres

A-List Customer
For what it’s worth, I stand 6’1”, and my B-3 measures 26.5 back and 23.25 front. This is a front/back difference of slightly more than 3 inches, and I’m pleased with the fit.

@Shin, from your pictures I think your B-3 is just slightly short in front. Especially in comparison to the arm length.

Shin

Familiar Face
For what it’s worth, I stand 6’1”, and my B-3 measures 26.5 back and 23.25 front. This is a front/back difference of slightly more than 3 inches, and I’m pleased with the fit.

@Shin, from your pictures I think your B-3 is just slightly short in front. Especially in comparison to the arm length.

This is very, very strange. My B3 measures 25.25" back and also 23.25" front. I am 6ft2, and mostly just legs (as you can see, my arms, and therefore my limbs are slightly longer than average). So my upper body should be the same, if not half an inch shorter than yours. And yet somehow I feel (and many have told me) that the front length is slightly... short. I can't explain it.

seres

A-List Customer
@Shin, all your photos appear to have the camera lens positioned at or below belt height, which would make the B-3 appear shorter. Try another series of pictures, with the camera lens at upper chest height, or about 18" higher.

I'll say again...it looks good but still too short for my personal preference. I would ask to have it remade so you can be truly happy with it. It's interesting that they positively nailed the sleeve length but the body does not seem proportionately long. I am no expert on this style but I do what I would and would not wear.

Shin

Familiar Face
I'll say again...it looks good but still too short for my personal preference. I would ask to have it remade so you can be truly happy with it. It's interesting that they positively nailed the sleeve length but the body does not seem proportionately long. I am no expert on this style but I do what I would and would not wear.
Hi. Can you tell me how getting a jacket "Remade" works in this space? Do you think I can just return this jacket and ask for another one to be remade? Do I have to pay anything extra, or is everything depending on the refund policy of the maker? I assume that if there are no physical faults, you cannot really ask for a refund or an exchange?

dubpynchon

One Too Many
The body does look short. It’s hard to believe that you had length already added, it must be way too short in the front in their pattern.

Too short for me..no matter how they were 'meant' to be. Times have changed. Most of us are not in an air war sitting busy with serious concerns in a cold cockpit. For the high price we pay for these now they should have better street style and measurements for mostly casual wear, IMO.
HD

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
At any rate the specter of doubt is now planted and will nag at you as long as you have the jacket. Sorry but that has been my experience. If you keep it today it will be in the classifieds within a year.

seres

A-List Customer

I agree. The new pictures look better, but the jacket is still just a little short in the body.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
If it's too short, it's too short. If it's a serious thing you can't live with, do what you have to do... or live with it as-is right?

If it was my money, I could fully sympathize.

I'm with you all, which is why I'm having trouble fronting cash for a B-3 myself.

Having something *perfect*? It's not pie in the sky. you eventually have to make do with some imperfection in life.

I'm sorry if the Jacket was expensive and doesn't fit you the way it should. Hopefully you'll work something out.

I've scored Jackets that aren't right for me, and I have to agree, so don't get me wrong, you'll probably see a few of my Jackets winding up in the Classifieds here as well in due time.

That being said, I've seen short fitting B-3 Jackets and they're alright by me.

Yours really does look amazing on you all things considered.

Hi. Can you tell me how getting a jacket "Remade" works in this space? Do you think I can just return this jacket and ask for another one to be remade? Do I have to pay anything extra, or is everything depending on the refund policy of the maker? I assume that if there are no physical faults, you cannot really ask for a refund or an exchange?
I guess it depends on the maker and their policies. If you were specific in your requested body length and the jacket is outside their allowance for that spec, some makers will honor a remake. If this is an off the rack purchase than a return/exchange/refund shouldn't be a problem at all.

Chris7273

One of the Regulars
A bit short for my own taste but I could live with it.
But : is it snug around your waist when the jacket is fully zipped ? if not, cold air will find its way and I am afraid the jacket won't be as warm as you imagined...

Shin

Familiar Face
A bit short for my own taste but I could live with it.
But : is it snug around your waist when the jacket is fully zipped ? if not, cold air will find its way and I am afraid the jacket won't be as warm as you imagined...
Yes it is as snug as a B3 can be. The pit to pit measurement is 21" (my chest is 37.5"). This is probably the most slim fitting size 38 B3 out there as far as stock sizes are concerned. I know Eastman makes their size 38"s with an about 23.5" pit to pit measurement.

Ttown

New in Town
Hey Shin your last pic are lot better & it looks dam good. Little short but not a deal breaker. Can you tell how warm is 18mm sheepskin? Is it too warm or practical for every day use. And I am assuming collar are also 18mm. How was it dealing with SB? U recommend them? Thx u !!

Last edited:

Shin

Familiar Face
Hey Shin your last pic are lot better & it looks dam good. Little short but not a deal breaker. Can you tell how warm is 18mm sheepskin? Is it too warm or practical for every day use. And I am assuming collar are also 18mm. How was it dealing with SB? U recommend them? Thx u !!

The collar is 22 mm!
I haven't worn it outside for too long yet (haven't removed the tag) but I tried a little bit in my balcony and garden in -5 degree midnight here in Czech Republic. I wore only a thin t-shirt and this thing alone is actually warmer than a thick t shirt+ a thick wool sweater + a regular leather jacket combo.
Keep in mind that I'm a slim thin guy, so I don't have any body fat, meaning I get cold very easily, therefore I need heavy stuff to survive winters.

The construction quality is great, the redskin is just right (not too bright orange-ish like Eastman), and the smell is wonderful. It's damn heavy, too. When I removed it and wore my Levi's shearling trucker, it feels a world's apart in weight.
Debs is the person dealing with your needs at Simmons Bilt.
She's great and SB can accomodate a lot of your needs. Lots of customs options available. They have 15 mm, 18mm, 22mm and 25mm.
They also can add maybe about 5 cm in back length and sleeve length at no additional costs.
It took them 4 weeks to get my jacket done, so it's great!

Everything else is perfect, except for that front length.
I tried to contact SB yesterday so we'll see how it goes. Anyway they're a great business to deal with. Though I got a feeling SB is like a taboo name in amongst loungers, but that's not the point of here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider