Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got to sit in Howard Hughes' seat... ON THE SPRUCE GOOSE

p51

One Too Many
I went to the Evergreen Aviation museum in McMinnville, Oregon yesterday. I'd been there twice before but not since 2005. They have expanded the place a great deal ad is the only museum I know which has a B-17 and hardly anyone notices. It's dwarfed by their primary display=
The Hughes H-4 'Hercules':
Goose640x360_zps61b31210.jpg

I jumped at the chance to do a cockpit tour when I found out there allowing a few people up to see the office on the bird!
Inside the crew compartment after walking up a very tight spiral staircase:
topside640x427_zpsddb5a737.jpg

Here's about the only part of the plane that really is spruce, parts of the main wing root:
spruce427x640_zpsc4613d4c.jpg

Unique view of the lined up props off the left wing:
propz640x427_zps9bf0e694.jpg

Inside the wing, looking toward the outer edge. They had crewmen inside the wing taking readings on its one flight:
wingsInside640x427_zps3e51b135.jpg

And here I am, not only sitting at Hughes' seat, but on the same seat cushion he sat on the one time I got the bird off the ground in 1947!
MeGoose800x450_zpsed8f137c.jpg

Talk about an amazing experience...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Amazing! Howard Hughes was a pioneer in so many part of Aviation. Good to see you sitting in the control seat! Bet that was a very interesting museum to visit.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations! My Cousin got to do that several years ago. I need to get up there. Every one tells me, you just can't get a feel for how big the plane is from photos. Still, the longest wingspan of any plane to fly! I just thought of something, they need to display a BD5J jet next to it. 319'11" Vs 14'0"!

DesertDan

One Too Many
Lord, what a machine!
That had to be a great experience. I would love to visit that museum and see that magnificent airplaine.

Juanito

One of the Regulars
This is too cool! Man I'd love to see that museum!

Get there as soon as you can...the bankruptcy of Evergreen Aviation and Del Smith's demise have certainly put its existence in jeopardy.

I live about 7 miles from the museum and visit regularly. The displays are getting worn and are literally disappearing--they are obviously struggling for cash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred