1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Gramophones, Phonographs, Victrolas....

Discussion in 'Radio' started by moustache, Nov 20, 2006.

1. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

They'd be more or less the same, I'd think. Probably an idler-wheel turntable drive and crystal pickup -- in both cases you may need to do some servicing. Idler wheel drives develop a thump when the rubber tire on the idler wheel hardens with age when left in one position for a long time, and the crystals in the pickups have a way of disintegrating if the unit has been stored in a humid location. Both situations are easy enough to deal with -- replacement idler wheels are available from various dealers, and West-Tech Services does an excellent job rebuilding crystal pickups.

Webster changers were commonly installed as original equipment in mid-priced console radios in the late forties and early fifties. Like all changers of the time they could be rough on records if they got out of adjustment.

2. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

Thank you. I have one of each, in various states of disrepair, and was wondering which one to restore, possible cribbing parts from the other. This information in quite helpful.

3. vitanola

vitanola My Mail is Forwarded Here

4. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

Changed the mainspring in my Paillard portable, but it's still not running smooth.

5. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

That's a lot of sound from a small box.

6. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

There's more of metal than wood on it and it's also quite big for a portable gramophone. Need to get the motor out and find the reason of speed fluctuation, I guess it needs more graphite grease in the spring case.

7. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

My humble shellac records collection
    IMG_9154.JPG

scotrace likes this.
  8. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

German Majestrola before and after overhaul.
    25188846_1536595453042181_3929220899276306284_o.jpg IMG_9609.jpg

3fingers and vitanola like this.
  9. scotrace

Some of the extras lying around.

Victor.jpg

3fingers likes this.
  10. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

Made a collage from labels of records I uploaded to YouTube so far.
    img.jpg

3fingers, scotrace and vitanola like this.
  11. decojoe67

decojoe67 Familiar Face

Here's my 1925 Victor Victrola 210. It was one of the most popular models Victor ever made. It's all original, had a "tune-up" and sounds beautiful. If you close the top while it's playing you'd swear it was an electric phono. I bought this in 1982 when I was 15! It traveled to 2 states and 6 or 7 homes, but survived in tact.
    1925 Victor Victrola 210.JPG

scotrace likes this.
  12. scotrace

I have a VV210 as well. Nice machine.

13. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Back in the day of live evening antique auctions, I took home the nicest full-size Victrola I've ever seen. Light oak finish and perfect condition. About $300 as I recall. It fit perfectly in my craftsman Chicago bungalow. About a week later I got a call from the Chicago PD... it was stolen property. Ugly divorce and somebody took all the good stuff to auction. It was strongly suggested that I take my refund, shut up and go away. it was beautiful - haven't seen one as nice since. Disappointed!

vitanola and scotrace like this.