Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gray hats and brown trench coats?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I've seen this color scheme in more than one movie, or the opposite...brown hat and gray trench coat. Is this acceptable among fashionistas? I wonder if, back in the day, most folks could only afford one fedora to go with their one suit, and if the overcoat didn't match, no one thought much about it.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I frequently wear a tan trench coat with a gray fedora. I think it looks fine, but I can’t speak as to whether it’s acceptable to fashionistas. I do it because it’s better than getting wet, and I’m not concerned enough (or flush enough) to go buy a raincoat to match every hat.

Besides, here in the Midwest, we’re automatically suspicious of anyone who looks too put together.

-Dave

A trench coat is "outer" outer wear so you may not be asked that it coordinates with everything you are wearing. Unless it is outdoors, an overcoat or trench is shed when you get to where you are going so it's not the key fashion element you are wearing.

Merlin

Familiar Face
I think a lot depends on the actual shades of brown/gray. I wouldn't pair a dark sable hat with a charcoal coat, but something in a tan would probably pair well with a lighter gray coat.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think your basic tan trench coat goes with just about anything. Seems to me that a trench coat and a gray fedora is just about definitively correct.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Looks fine to me, I certainly go out in that combination. Tan/khaki trenchcoat is the classic colour and works fine for me with either of my grey hats (Stetson Downs in grey and Fed IV in carbon grey).

Torpedo

One Too Many
When you wear some kind of overcoat, the hat is supposed to go with it, not with the garments underneath. When you go indoors, both overcoat and hat will be removed, so no need to harmonize with the suit.
Regarding colours, a grey hat goes generally well with a brown or tan coat, unless there is some clash (let's say, because of both being too dark, or one very warm and the other very cold in tone) as already hinted by Merlin.

ssfilez

New in Town
The present day does not call for matching colors, I believe. Sometimes, we have to become adventurous with our clothing and mixing colors is just one of the many different ways. Gray and brown won't look bad so go ahead and try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot