Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Investment

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
How to justify a new Optimo to your wife? $500 invested in equites September of last year would be worth $200 now. And watch this space around January time...I bet that $200 now will be $100 or so. Go on, tell your wife that, and do a little spending before fedora prices go up (hey, $310 for a custom Fedora is way to cheep, right!?), and the value of your money goes down...;)

analogist

One of the Regulars
Make Way for Bears

daizawaguy said:
How to justify a new Optimo to your wife? $500 invested in equites September of last year would be worth $200 now. And watch this space around January time...I bet that $200 now will be $100 or so. Go on, tell your wife that, and do a little spending before fedora prices go up (hey, $310 for a custom Fedora is way to cheep, right!?), and the value of your money goes down...;)

There are so many parts of your fiscal, monetary, and hat equations which are just so wrong. Not withstanding your "enthusiastic pessimism" about the global economy, I do not believe Warren Buffett is socking away his billions on hats nor has Berkshire Hathaway added a hat division.

Your comparison of investment and personal consumption is far more absurd than comparing apples to oranges, but rather how much disposable income enthusiasts will have or want to spend on hats.

Perhaps a better strategy for you would be short selling (where permitted) of those equities you feel are destined to fall.

If your analysis was meant to be humorous, accept my sincere apology but in a world where financial uncertainty is global and touches the lives of everybody, I remain scratching my head in puzzlement.

analogist

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I strongly suspect the analysis was tongue in cheek. Rationalizeng expenditures for hats requires all the resourcefulness we can come up with. Who knows where the economy is going? The real puzzle, as far as I can determine from all the reading I've been doing, is where is the value of the dollar going. Some say that the way the government will pay for all the bailouts will be by diluting the value of the money through super inflation. It's a fine line between super inflation and hyper inflation. Again, from what I've read, being someone with no economics background, hyperinflation is just about the most disastrous thing that can happen to a country short of all out war. The situation is no joke. I think I need to stock up on hats, just in case things get worse. ;)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Hyperinflation

What my grandparents told me about those post-WW2 days seem so different from what I had all my life.
It is kind of an emergency situation where the main concerns are the satisfaction of the basics: i.e. get some food and heating during winter, in other words simply to make it.
Fine hats, fine suits etc. were peace-time items at best, kept as memories of happier days. People did care about clothing items more and let them repair since the purchase was almost impossible during the struggle for survival.
Lets hope those times dont return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk