Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Leather/LCS repair Dena is AMAZING!!

Cornelius

Practically Family

Whenever I consider finally ordering an elegant-yet-practical winter jacket from Aero, using Horween FQHH out of hometown pride, I figure the Long Half-belt would be the way to go (cargo pockets for hat & gloves, extra length to keep the wind from whipping up my back). And I imagine the LHB fitting like Ton's newly mended jacket, above ^

But then I check the Aero website, with their Invisible Man modeling all jackets, and am reminded that, NO, the Aero LHB pattern is cut like a potato sack. Bummer.

Great to hear about this business of Dana's though, I'll be bookmarking them for inevitable future need. Have a "Rockafella" type jacket I bought secondhand in Amsterdam 20 years ago that could use a new lining & general TLC.

Last edited:
Dena just sent me pictures of the two-way zip she installed on my Aero Chips. She was amazing-- called me with updates and questions, sent photo updates and got the work done in record time. A pleasure to deal with too. And the work is spot-on at extremely reasonable prices. She is my new go-to for this kind of work.

She also quickly finished the two-way zip on the LW J23 and both are heading back soon. I can't seem to upload photo of the LW. I will take some photos when it arrives. Same great work though. She did say that working on the LW leather is more challenging than the norm.

View attachment 248791
Perfectly done. If only it came this way from the get go. Looks better too. Good call on the two way.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I recall hearing about Great Leather on these forums some years ago, but never had given their business much thought, as I had no repair/alteration needs at the time. If I had a jacket that didn't fit me, I'd just move it on. I forgot about them. Then a few weeks ago @ton312 mentioned them, and I have a lot more jackets now than I did then, and one in particular that I thought would make a good project.

Longtime @Guppy readers will know that I've had a long-term interest in getting a leather M-65 field jacket. Lots of makers make them, and I've tried most of them, but I haven't found one that's quite exactly what I'm going after. I found a Willabee & Ward for cheap several years ago, which was the original leather M-65 that I saw advertised in the back of Popular Mechanics when I was a high school student in the 1990s, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for, and I moved it on.

A few years later, I found a motorcycle jacket by Equilibre Paris Les Halles that was a perfect copy of an M-65 in black leather, only a size too small for me, but I held onto it for a while before I finally found a buyer for it.

Cooper and Cockpit USA make them, and I haven't found one at a price I'd pay for one, and I don't think either would ultimately satisfy me.

Some months ago, I found an interesting jacket made by "Colonial Reliable Casual Goods", which I bought for $50. It's very clearly not an M-65, but it has the vibe and certainly seems M-65 inspired, and looked good. Leather looked thick, probably top grain, and very attractive grain at that, with some nice patina and undertones where the color had worn through.

For $50 how can you go wrong?

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
The sound this zipper makes is heavenly.
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
I haven't been able to find any info on this maker, so if anyone happens to know anything about them, please share.
s-l1600 (10).jpg

I bought it and waited months for it to arrive. Seller's location according to eBay was in my state, but the package shipped from Europe (???), and took almost 3 months to arrive. By that time I had opened a dispute case and gotten refunded, but when it showed up I re-sent my payment; the seller had done his part.

Unfortunately, as I feared, it was a little too long on me, but only in the sleeves. Everything else fit pretty well. But the zipper was a euro-style left hand job, and I just can't get used to them. Bummer. I sat on it for a few months, then pulled it out last week to list it for sale, when I saw @ton312's post about getting his alterations.

Enter @iknowleather. I emailed Dena on Fri 7/17 and she responded quickly and we exchanged several emails in the space of an hour or two. She answered all my questions and gave me a good impression. We're reversing the zipper by uninistalling it and then re-installing it backward, so that the pin and box are on the correct side for right-handed operation, but with the pull installed backward, so that it faces the outside of the jacket. I'm hoping that this will work for this zipper, I don't know if the teeth are symmetrical to allow the slide to run in an inside-out configuration.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

The stitching at top of the zipper and windflap had started to come loose and needed a minor repair; since we're removing and reversing the zipper, it's no big deal; this seam would have needed to be opened up anyway. I also asked her to move the zipper up so that it starts 5 3/8" from the hem, instead of starting at the bottom of the hem. This will put the starting point of the zipper just below the belt line, and make it easier to start the zip, as well as more comfortable when sitting and zipped.

And she said no problem to shorten the sleeves by 2.5". This will be accomplished by opening the seam on the cuffs, trimming back the necessary length from the sleeve, opening up the cuff gusset seam a bit, and then re-attaching the cuff.

Jacket went in the mail today, 7/22. I'm in no rush to have it back, but of course am eager to see the results and how it turns out.

Last edited:

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
More great work from Dena at Great Leather! Great doesn’t even begin to describe it tbh. I’m floored by how good she is.
My much maligned sand papered, balloon sleeved TRD came back and I think it may have found it’s place as one of my all time fav cross zips now. Dena took a whopping 3” out of the biceps. She also removed all the bits left from my FC treatment (belt and epaulettes) the jacket fits and feels soo much better now.
Before w/ massive canon sleeves:
View attachment 248374 View attachment 248375
After with 3” biceps diameter trim:
View attachment 248377 View attachment 248378
Sears Herc received a new main zip which is stitch hole PERFECT. Dena also fixed the saggy liner and preserved the tag.
View attachment 248379 View attachment 248380 View attachment 248381
Such a wonderful resource to have discovered. I have two more projects for her to get me properly ready for the fall and winter. Lining for my IH 21oz type three and suede trucker. Thank you Dena!! You rock!!!
IMPRESSIVE
Do you mind sharing the cost for your cross zip repair?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner