Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Shoe Shine Stands across the nation

bradford

Familiar Face
While I can certainly shine my own shoes and typically do, there's nothing like getting a professional shine on a business trip or just before you go into a big meeting. I like to think it gives you that extra confidence and helps with the mental edge.

As far as places are concerned, it seems like New York is the best city to find quick locations. It shows my age, but I used to use one in the lobby of the World Trade Center when I was there on business. As others have mentioned Nordstrom's has shoe shine stands in their men's shoes departments. The one's in Scottsdale, Sacramento and San Francisco have treated me well.

There are several shine places around downtown Phoenix and V's Barbershops in the Phoenix area also have shoe shine stands.

Here in Sacramento I have only found a few that I like. Of course, there is the airport but its overpriced. There is a guy on the 2nd floor of the Federal Courthouse who is good, but he takes 45-minutes to an hour to complete the shine so don't expect anything quick.

Unfortunately, when you look at the lousy shoes most men wear these days, I doubt that shoeshine places are going to experience a resurgence anytime soon.

The Shooman

Practically Family
l'm doing a write up on my city's local shoo shine man in a couple of weeks. l'll post it here a few weeks. l'll even post a pic of a local aussie shoo that was hand made in 1902.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Tell me you wouldn't drop your shoes off at this shop if it were convenient. And don't lie. [bad]

stan2.jpg

Tomasso dear is that the sort of shop you frequent on your yearly visits chez Europe?

Bustercat

A-List Customer
In SF, there's a good guy outside the palace hotel on New Montgomery and Market. Got some local fame for the city trying to crack down on him for not having a permit, despite him working hard and being homeless:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-06-05/news/17209037_1_shoe-shiner-larry-moore-city-worker

NEVIUS04_0171a275x183.JPG

I usually go to a guy a few blocks away, at first because there was less of a line and it's on my way home. Now, because it's familiar. He's an older gent named John who wears a fedora, bold suit, the works, and has the whole rap, heckling anybody with dress shoes with a loud, kinda-judgemental-at-the-state-of-your-filthy-shoes "Sir!" or "Ma'am?" and gesture towards his chair.
He's done it since he was a kid and is in his mid 70's now.
I'll be honest, he's not the fastest and doesn't shine the best shoe these days, but don't be shy and point out the missed spots and he'll fix it.
Competition considered (there's a lot of shiners downtown), it's worth that minor extra hassle for the easy conversation. Shut up, sit a little longer, and listen to to him, one minute it's a joke, or an old blues song you maybe haven't heard someone outside of a recording sing, then next, some old expression you haven't heard someone use in a while, or ever. He doesn't miss a thought or two about a passing lady, or whatever is happening in the news. Everytime it's something different.

Like the barbershop, it's part of a vanishing world, one of service beyond necessity. The only place I see it surviving today is with the bartender. Do we really need to be trashed to appreciate that extra human contact?

ShoeshinePDX

New in Town
Gentlemen, it's nice to know us shoe shiners are so appreciated. If you ever make it to Portland Oregon, stop by my shop "Hightower Shoeshine & Shoe Repair". I'm in the US Bancorp Tower (Big Pink) downtown. I'll treat you to a shine if you mention the lounge. I look forward to answering your questions in the forums. Take good care friends! :)

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Gentlemen, it's nice to know us shoe shiners are so appreciated. If you ever make it to Portland Oregon, stop by my shop "Hightower Shoeshine & Shoe Repair". I'm in the US Bancorp Tower (Big Pink) downtown. I'll treat you to a shine if you mention the lounge. I look forward to answering your questions in the forums. Take good care friends! :)

Hey PDX, sorry I missed your post last summer...was just checking in now. How about posting a few photos of you and your set up and tell us a little about yourself!

Exec

New in Town
There are some great shoe shine places in NYC. Check out the Leather Spa for a great experience -- located at the Plaza Hotel, Grand Central and West 55th street. The guys work hard and give a great shine. Also, check out Vera's Shoe Repair on Second Avenue and E 54th Street. Alejo repairs the shoes and, for an extra tip, will come out and give an incredible shine. If he is busy, the boys that work there are great too.

flyfishark

Practically Family
Has anyone mentioed the the small, two-chair stand at Baltimore-Washington Airport? That guy is unbelievable! Best shine I've ever had put on a pair of shoes--made me feel really inadequate, and I thought I was good.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
If you are ever in Cincinnati stop by and visit the "Shoe Doctor" who works at Batsakes Hat Shop. When I was there last year I bet I saw him shine twelve pairs of shoes in an hour or so. He has at least four elevated shoe shine chairs inside the shop. He made my boots look new!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I paid my first visit to Louis Shoe Rebuilders, a classic shine-and-repair shop that is found in the ground floor of the Empire State Building (on the 33rd Street side). Louis opened on that site in 1921, long before the ESB was erected, though they relocated while the iconic skyscraper was being built, only to return to the site once construction was completed in 1931.

In short, this is one venerable shine parlor.

Here's my account, complete with pictures, of my visit: http://www.cladriteradio.com/archives/5525

WineGuy

A-List Customer
I paid my first visit to Louis Shoe Rebuilders, a classic shine-and-repair shop that is found in the ground floor of the Empire State Building (on the 33rd Street side). Louis opened on that site in 1921, long before the ESB was erected, though they relocated while the iconic skyscraper was being built, only to return to the site once construction was completed in 1931.

In short, this is one venerable shine parlor.

Here's my account, complete with pictures, of my visit: http://www.cladriteradio.com/archives/5525

Wow, I must have walked past them a thousand times when I was in my 20's(worked around the corner on 34th) but back then a shoe shine was something one did themselves about once a year when your shoes started to grow barnacles! I'll definitely pay them a visit in the next few weeks when I go into JJ Hat Center for a repair to my Montecristi. Thanks for the tip, the great photos and great commentary.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Thank god for Nordstrom's! I was stranded in the Aventura Mall in Florida last week as my wife, daughter and mother made the rounds when I remembered there might be a good shine to be had. I was wearing my Lucchese lizard skin ropers and figured they could use some pampering. I was thrilled to see a gentleman named Rufus sitting at the shine stand, kind of like the girls of golden era siting at a dance party waiting to be asked. Rufus gave my boots a great treatment...from a round of leather conditioner to applying the black polish by first squirting a little lighter fluid in on the open tin and setting it on fire to melt and liquify the polish... a nice touch and I could see how the melted polish penetrated the texture of the lizard better than if applied cold. Another round of conditioner and my boots had a deep lustrous sheen that was not too shiny...just they way it should be. For the uninformed, most Nordstrom Men's shoe departments have a full time shoe shine stand and professional shiner!

DodgerMan

New in Town
Good idea for a thread I was just posting about this earlier today...

I've got a buddy who's been doing shoe shines for a couple years, he's been spit shining my uniform boots and dress shoes for a few months now.

He does all kinds of men's leather boots and formal dress shoes. I like goin to him instead of dropping them off somewhere because he does a good spit shine while I read the LA Times and watch TV. He always makes me feel like a king.

He goes to offices around LA, but I recommend going to his place in Hollywood so you can relax and not worry about work. Shoot him an email and tell him Jay sent you, he'll hook you up. shoeshineboyla@yahoo.com

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Not all Nordstroms have shine stands in them. I've been checking their website, no luck at the one at Christiana Mall near Newark DE, many of the Nords near Frederick/Baltimore MD do not have them either.
I've been looking here in DE, none I can find down in Sussex (beach area, sort of expected that) but there may be one in Downtown Dover (a ways away from the Air Base but near the Army-Navy store I love), havent had a chance to check it out as downtown Dover can be ahh a bit shady sometimes. Nothing at the Dover Mall I could find.
Havent been looking up in New Castle county as its not my normal AO, but will look when I get back up there, hopefully before the new year.
Also, havent been able to find any down near Salisbury MD, but theres a couple shady areas also so I tend to avoid them if possible.

Please note.. shady areas may be that way not due to criminal activity but due to certain vibes I get because I do not fit in, manner of dress, skin color, look, may or may not be a reason. Being ex military I just tend to trust in my "vibes" sometimes. [huh]

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Not all Nordstroms have shine stands in them. I've been checking their website, no luck at the one at Christiana Mall near Newark DE, many of the Nords near Frederick/Baltimore MD do not have them either. [huh]

Sorry you're having trouble finding a Nordstrom's with a shiner, every one I've been to from NY to NJ to FL had one so I just assumed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ