Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great story on NPR...

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Wanted to share a great story from NPR's All Things Considered this evening. It's always great to hear about folks who are willing to share their knowledge with those who are eager to learn. Link to the story to hear the audio...it's well worth a listen!

Tailor's Apprentice Hones Craft in Pennsylvania Shop
by Frank Langfitt, NPR

All Things Considered, January 9, 2008 ¬? Step into Centofanti Custom Tailors on Philadelphia's Main Line and step back in time. In one corner stands a rusting steam press with a pipe held together by duct tape. Next to it is an old machine that makes buttonholes. Head into the basement and you find Joe Genuardi, 27, using a huge pair of shears to cut a suit from a piece of blended fabric, cashmere and silk.

Genuardi has spent the last year-and-a-half learning to make custom suits by hand. Instead of working off digital blueprints, he drafts the clothes for each customer on life-size pieces of cardstock.

"I'm proud to be at this point where I can make this from scratch," he says of a pair of pants he's making for his girlfriend. "I don't have to buy a pattern, I don't have to go to a store and buy something off the rack."

The man who is teaching him is Joseph Centofanti, 89.

Centofanti learned tailoring as a boy in Italy, and he's been working at his Ardmore, Pa., store for 51 years. Centofanti makes more than 150 pieces of clothing a season. Suits begin at $2,500.

Finding people to help him is tough, Centofanti says. Where does he go?

"They find me," he says.

But there aren't many.

'You're Crazy!'

Genuardi was planning to move to Italy to learn tailoring. But then he heard about Centofanti, and went to the store.

"We talked that morning for at least an hour. He asked me, 'Why, why in God's name do you want to get into this field? You're crazy!'" Genuardi says.

Since then, Centofanti has taught Genuardi how to calculate proportions using an L-shaped metal tailor's square and to draft, cut and sew by hand.

Genuardi studied industrial design in college. He says most of his classmates work for global firms like Ralph Lauren or DKNY.

A Growing Trend

Genuardi may be an anomaly, says Patricia Mears, deputy director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, but she also says there are more people who seem to share his values.

"There's a growing trend amongst young people who not only want to avoid creating things or consuming things on a mass-market level, they are engrossed in the concept of craft, especially something so intimately connected to the human body," Mears says.

Genuardi would like to have his own tailor shop one day.

"It takes a long time to learn, and the more I learn, the more I know it takes longer. And I'm OK with that, because I love what I'm doing," he says.

As for Centofanti — he has no plans to retire.

And he expects his shop to outlive him.

"My daughter is going to take over," Ceontofanti says.

Then his daughter, Helen, chimes in: "And hopefully Joe will stick with me."​

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bless him!

That is really awesome. It's great to see a young person learning this stuff, otherwise that master's knowledge would go to the grave with him.

David Bresch

Familiar Face
Centofanti is an awsome tailor. I am sorry I could not buy more clothes from him, I neither have the money nor the space in my closet! He is also a very, very nice man.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
David Bresch said:
Centofanti is an awsome tailor. I am sorry I could not buy more clothes from him, I neither have the money nor the space in my closet! He is also a very, very nice man.

That really came through in the interview...he sounds like a terrific gentleman. Hopefully, Mr. Centofanti is right and his young apprentice will keep the business and the craft going strong for many more years to come. Glad to hear from someone in Philly who actually knows the man and his merchandise. :)

Jovan

Suspended
Miss 1929 said:
That is really awesome. It's great to see a young person learning this stuff, otherwise that master's knowledge would go to the grave with him.
I couldn't have said it better myself. A lot of old world tailors that know how to properly fit and cut (i.e. the infamous arm scye here) are passing away. Good to know this chap and the owner's daughter will continue a great tradition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran