Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings and my new (old) G-1

Deacon211

One Too Many
Knocked that one out of the park!

Could he use a bit of leather dye if he could match the color?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yep, you did extremely well with that eBay G-1, including optimal fit. My experience is that rarely does such an acquisition work out that well at that price. You might try some matching brown boot/shoe cream to minimize those white spots; be careful with anything else that might not be reversible.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments. :) I'll chalk it up to beginner's luck. This is my first military leather jacket purchase.

I think the fit is nice, although it's a bit tight while wearing a sweater (in the photos posted, I'm just wearing a shirt underneath). What would USN personnel have worn under a G-1 in 1968?

I was thankfully able to remove about 99% of the white spots from the leather with a damp soft cloth/sponge and a very small amount of liquid Ivory soap. Some light dirt came off as well. The leather feels dry to me (particularly on the sleeves) so I ordered some Pecards.

I forgot to mention that the jacket seems kinda squeaky, particularly under the armpits. Is this normal or would Pecards resolve this? My wife even commented on the creaky sounding leather (the sound doesn't bother me much, just wondering).

I still have questions about how or if I should clean the liner, mouton collar, and knit cuffs/waistband. Also, any tips on how to get the zipper to work more smoothly? Graphite? Maybe a light application of Pecards over the zipper teeth?

There are two buttons under the collar opposite the throat latch. Is one of them considered a spare that I could have sewn into the spot where a button is missing to secure the waist pocket? Or should I seek an authentic replacement somewhere?

You guys have been incredibly helpful to this G-1 newbie. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Last edited:

Marv

A-List Customer
that's a great fit superb, certainly fits better than my ML so well done and as for the white spots, if they are not massively noticable I would leave them.

To be honest, I think mine has a few white spots on it also as it seems that these old vets tended to paint their house wearing them.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
Great find. That jacket looks perfect on you. One of my G-1s is a bit noisy when I walk or move my arms as well. Based on the 4 G-1s that I have, I only hear it on my "D" series. Maybe because they swithced to cow instead of goat??? Pecards helped it a little. After a while, I just sort of stopped hearing it. G&B used to have buttons and such, but I don't think they do anymore.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Umm, the squeaky noise, I also have the problem with my ELC G-1 and my BK Dubow. There were posts before saying that Pecard may help, and someone also suggested that rubbing some talcum powder at the seams may help. I got laughed at sometimes because it sounds like I am wearing a leather sofa.....

Gamma68

One Too Many
...as for the white spots, if they are not massively noticable I would leave them.

To be honest, I think mine has a few white spots on it also as it seems that these old vets tended to paint their house wearing them.

I had the same thought--that a previous owner had been wearing the jacket while painting (groan). There is a small white spot on the waistband that's a little crusty. I'm betting it's paint. Thankfully, I got almost all of the white residue off the leather.

One of my G-1s is a bit noisy when I walk or move my arms as well. Based on the 4 G-1s that I have, I only hear it on my "D" series. Maybe because they swithced to cow instead of goat??? Pecards helped it a little. After a while, I just sort of stopped hearing it. G&B used to have buttons and such, but I don't think they do anymore.

From what I've read, the Martin Lane D series jackets are definitely goatskin. I think Pecards will help, because the leather is DRY.

I guess I'll check my local fabric store for a matching button.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Don't forget that the G-1 is sort of a "summer" flight jacket, though after WWII I don't think they ever issued a winter one.

There were various liners and such that flyers wore under their gear, perhaps even the dreaded poopie suit.

But no one ever issued me a flight jacket with the admonition to leave room for x or y underneath.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Don't forget that the G-1 is sort of a "summer" flight jacket, though after WWII I don't think they ever issued a winter one.

There were various liners and such that flyers wore under their gear, perhaps even the dreaded poopie suit.

But no one ever issued me a flight jacket with the admonition to leave room for x or y underneath.

Point taken. I assume the G-1 is meant for chilly weather because of the mouton collar.

In almost all the photos I've found online since posting the question "what did pilots wear under the G-1?" most show just a long-sleeve military shirt.

a02517bef57532b0_large1.jpg

Deacon211

One Too Many
So, I think what you are going to find is that WWII is a shift in aviation. Prop planes progressed from open cockpit to closed. Even canopied planes often took off and landed with canopies open (especially in the naval services) for low altitude bailout or ground egress considerations.

The G-1 is I guess actually listed as an "intermediate" jacket. There were cloth summer weight jackets and shearling winter weight jackets.

Later though, the Summer and Winter jackets went away, leaving just the G-1 which was as much a uniform item as it was flight gear.

Those were augmented by exposure suits, nylon and then Nomex.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gamma68,
Some here recommend a light application of paraffin wax to help the zipper run more smoothly. Simply rub the piece of wax lightly along the zipper teeth and it will provide a bit of lubrication. I tried this on a motorcycle jacket with a stiff zipper and it helped a bit.
Regarding the squeakiness, I have found that Pecards helped to quiet the jacket down. You may also find that simply wearing it regularly may help to reduce the squeaks. Who knows how many years it sat around unused and forgotten until you came along. A little excercise may be all it needs.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Sorry, was typing at work. Let me finish that thought.

Once you get into the jet age, you have more hot air than you know what to do with. Heck, even props put out a good bit of heat. Add to that closed, pressurized cockpits and keeping warm is much less of a challenge.

As such, wearing a lot of undergarments was more from a desire to "dress to eject" rather than from any need to keep warm in the cockpit. The most notable exception was the exposure suit, which was much more about keeping warm in the water than on land.

Marv

A-List Customer
wasn't the G1 mouton collar installed to prevent neck chaffing from the constant looking around and checking you six for bandits unlike the A2, wear a scarf was needed to be worn against the leather collar.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hey Marv,

I've certainly heard that. I've never seen any attribution for it, so who knows?

Many fur collars were bigger than on the 422/G-1 which would seem to suggest that they had some purpose besides protecting the neck, especially with straps or throat latches. I can't really say that my neck has ever chafed wearing anything in the cockpit...other than a dry suit.

I think maybe the answer is something in between, as it always seems to be. The neck probably can get pretty cold in an open cockpit (I've only ever been in one and my head was down low as a passenger), so it would make sense to wear some kind of scarf. Now a nice heavy wool scarf absolutely would chafe the heck out of your neck, which is why I can see silk being a popular choice.

The alternative naturally is some sort of soft fur. My guess is that the Navy decided to go that route when building their flight jackets in the '30s, although I understand it to be a more expensive option.

Thus, the neck preserving qualities would be a consequence of trying to keep your neck warm.

Entirely guesswork on my part, as always. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner