Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings from Los Angeles... and some noob questions

Bugleboy10

New in Town
Hello and welcome to being here. You are doing great in asking questions to learn. Hats are so versatile and as you are starting to find out, there are a great variety of them all depending on your budget and your desires to own more. If you stick around you will find that you are being bitten by the "hat bug"...prepare to scour the earth for your next "prized" find. As my Husband lived in Southern California for many many years, he is well aware of the hot weather factors. He suggests that you find straws or panama hats and as a few here have made mention, check out the hats from Akubra. If you like the felt hat fedora look, the Akubra is a great hat to purchase. The Aussie dollar value has dipped, so you can buy from them now at less of an American Dollar cost, as their money is worth less than the USD. You can get a great deal on any of their hats and they look great and are made to take a beating and still look nice. If you want something "custom" made we have a large offering of Custom Hatters right here on the Lounge. Art Fawcett, Black Sheep Hats, Alley Kat Hats , Esther (she is located in Belgium but does great work for a decent price and loves to make hats for us) and I am sure there are others, Northwestern, Major Moore, etc....but no matter what if you ask we will sure try our best as a group to point you in the direction you want to go...even Stetson has some nice summer hats, their Stratoliner Straw hat is not real straw but is made in such a way it should last a long time and looks really sharp. It all just really depends on your wallet. Also lets us know your hat size...many here may have something for sale...look in the classifieds here.

ENJOY!
Cindy
Much appreciated! I'll be more certain once I try on a few different brands and sizes, but I measured my head at 58cm and my size medium hat feels a tad too snug. So, probably 7 1/4. I do browse the classifieds, but nothing so far in this short week that I've been addicted.

Ok. You are now narrowing it down. Forget straw cuz u want something you can wear now through the fall and winter into spring. You said forget Akubra so that is that. And no custom for now...
Keep it simple. Your looking for a versatile fur felt that's sturdy and comfortable that you can wear every day and isn't to dressy. Is that it? So what do you like? Village Hats has 2 stores in Cali. Are they near you? They have a decent selection, good prices and a nice website too. Or visit your local hat shops that you mentioned and look for a everyday fur felt thats not too dressy. Try on different hats. Hopefully they'll have somthin you like. If not maybe they can order you something that you do like.
Village Hats is too far south for me, but I've got their original location on my to-do list the next time j visit family in San Diego. If the local stores don't have anything, I'm sure they can order something. I do like to support local business, especially if I'm in there taking up employee time and getting friendly service.

I have only ruled out Akubra for now since I want to try stuff on in person and wouldn't want to waste a store's resources only to say "Thanks, now I know what to order online." The glowing reviews here make me want one in my collection some day. Hmmm, too many styles, too few heads! Thanks again!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Much appreciated! I'll be more certain once I try on a few different brands and sizes, but I measured my head at 58cm and my size medium hat feels a tad too snug. So, probably 7 1/4. I do browse the classifieds, but nothing so far in this short week that I've been addicted.

Village Hats is too far south for me, but I've got their original location on my to-do list the next time j visit family in San Diego. If the local stores don't have anything, I'm sure they can order something. I do like to support local business, especially if I'm in there taking up employee time and getting friendly service.

I have only ruled of Akubra for now since I want to try stuff on in person and wouldn't want to waste a store's resources only to say "Thanks, now I know what to order online." Hmmm, too many styles, too few heads! Thanks again!
Wlcm. That's it. Try on lots of hats till you find a keeper and your correct to work with your hat shop and be loyal. Once u get a bit more comfortable and kno what u want ordering online wont be so freaky. Many Akubras from Everything Australian have a 3 month wait...The other vendor Hats Direct (Hattery) has most inventory in stock and ship immediatly but are abt 20%+ more expensive. Good luck. Enjoy your journey.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

I have only ruled out Akubra for now since I want to try stuff on in person and wouldn't want to waste a store's resources only to say "Thanks, now I know what to order online." The glowing reviews here make me want one in my collection some day. Hmmm, too many styles, too few heads! Thanks again!
A size 7 1/4 has many hats listed all over the internet on eBay and Etsy so you are super lucky there...and normally the pricing is not so bad for that size of a hat....you will do just fine. Just be sure your wallet does not like to commit "mutiny" in you! haha!

A size 7 1/4 has many hats listed all over the internet on eBay and Etsy so you are super lucky there...and normally the pricing is not so bad for that size of a hat....you will do just fine. Just be sure your wallet does not like to commit "mutiny" in you! haha!

I have a very nice 40s stratoliner in your size that needs a good home. send me a PM. Or email me. Rodmaker@ptd.net

Bugleboy10

New in Town
Thanks again for all the advice, suggestions, and offers. I made it down to Hollywood Hatters today and Sal was very helpful, listening to what I wanted and what for. Between his advice and texting pics to my wife, I settled on a Capa with a 2" brim and a center dent. She felt I looked silly in a wider brim. I agreed the narrower one looked better (fairly narrow shoulders here), but don't think 2 1/2 was bad either. You be the judge. Either way, it was nice to try on a bunch of styles and sizes. Now I have a good idea of what suits me, and this surely won't be my last hat purchase. Oh, and the wife has informed me that this steps up the fashion game and she needs to get some new blouses.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 150

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I wish that was true... my wallet is very very angry with me right now :mad:
The one I want is the one that everyone (well not everyone but still there is someone competing against you with a bigger wallet) want to things go sky high.

RJR

Thanks again for all the advice, suggestions, and offers. I made it down to Hollywood Hatters today and Sal was very helpful, listening to what I wanted and what for. Between his advice and texting pics to my wife, I settled on a Capa with a 2" brim and a center dent. She felt I looked silly in a wider brim. I agreed the narrower one looked better (fairly narrow shoulders here), but don't think 2 1/2 was bad either. You be the judge. Either way, it was nice to try on a bunch of styles and sizes. Now I have a good idea of what suits me, and this surely won't be my last hat purchase. Oh, and the wife has informed me that this steps up the fashion game and she needs to get some new blouses.
Always a trade off with the wife,huh?o_O

Bugleboy10

New in Town
Always a trade off with the wife,huh?o_O
If I don't look attractive to her, what's the point? ;-) I think I'll just buy a hat with 1/4" bigger brim every time so she won't notice!

Oh, and I misspoke. The hat I ended up with is a Stefano. The guy at the shop said that even a crushable hat will lose its shape if it's gets crushed too much. Is that a matter of how many times, or for how long it stays packed?

RJR

If I don't look attractive to her, what's the point? ;-) I think I'll just buy a hat with 1/4" bigger brim every time so she won't notice!

Oh, and I misspoke. The hat I ended up with is a Stefano. The guy at the shop said that even a crushable hat will lose its shape if it's gets crushed too much. Is that a matter of how many times, or for how long it stays packed?
Agreed,you'll be amazed at how your preferences develop over a bit of time.
The probable answer to your shape question is BOTH.

daddy0d0

A-List Customer

Welcome! I too agree with the Akubra suggestion. I own 3 with 1 more on the way. All felt and I wear them all year. Heat here in Maryland has been in the 90's with mid 90's by weeks end. I like my Akubra Stylemaster when it's this hot because it's a little lighter than my Adventurer and my Angler. If you go an Akubra in the future order from EVERYTHING AUSTRALIAN. Great company to deal with and Sam is great. Good prices and fast delivery. I would also suggest you check out the "What hat are you wearing today?" Thread. Always great looking lids on display.
Again welcome.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
What you think suits you now will change and it is only a matter of time before you are buying own crown hats

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

EBAY!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
What you think suits you now will change and it is only a matter of time before you are buying own crown hats
True a year or two from now, you may be looking to move to a bigger home to store all those hats you have had to purchase as it will happen...(no escape from the hat bug..once bitten you are hooked). Hats ARE just like vampires...they lure you and then start to slowly suckle your wallet and mind...the never ending search for your next hat purchase...a thirst you will have for the rest of your life and the only "fix" is another hat find, another victory of out bidding someone on eBay or, contacting custom hatters to discuss crown height, brim width, colors and ribbon and bow work....all the while you will pace the floor waiting for the mail man to show up....it will never end for you. Just telling you the way it truthfully is.

Bugleboy10

New in Town
Yes, I already have a handful of hats on my eBay watch list, and browse Etsy as well. I waited on pulling the trigger until I got into a hat shop though, because I wanted to make sure I knew what looked good and fit well on me. I've already learned that a deep center dent and short crown is annoying as it rubs my head, and that I'd better be prepared to use sizing tape on a size "Large". The next step is to find a brown hat to match my other outfits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana