Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GTH Leather jackets

Edward

Bartender
Venerable East London institution Silverman's government surplus store now has a bunch of nice looking leather jackets in stock, which appear to be brand name GTH. Anyone heard of it?

This G1 is pretty impressive looking for £149GBP:

71071.JPG

See http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Silver/docs/topframe.htm

Aviakid

New in Town
GTH

GTH could be G T Hawkins, the famous footwear company of Northampton (now sadly closed).
G T Hawkins exists only as a brand now, Italian owned and with no connection to Northampton or the UK, I think the motorcycle boots on the Silverman's site may be made by them. The other footwear made under the G T Hawkins name these days bears no relation to the styles they used to make and has a very 'European' look to it.
The prices charged for the jackets on the Silverman's site are very reasonable but reflect the fact that they are almost certainly not British made, so could be Italian...?

Edward

Bartender
Could be - I happened to be in there this morning buying a replacement for the gloves that were in the bag I lost / had stolen on Saturday (goodbye, old friends. :cry: ). I saw this jacket hanging on a rail and had a good feel - the quality certainly seems to be there. I didn't have time to try one on, so I'm not entirely sure whether it's a more modern fit, or the closer military cut, though. I know they do also stock the Cooper current issue spec model (at twice this price), which I gather is a baggier, modern cut.

PatC

New in Town
Cooper G-1 Jackets

Hello Edward,
I bought one of the Cooper G-1 issue jackets about 8 years ago from a shop in Kettering called Mishmash, which I believe is now closed. I am about 5' 8" and 70kg and 40" chest and the 40" jacket fits me perfectely. In comparrison, I have an original 55-J-14 made by Star sportswear also in size 40" which is slightly large on me. The goatskin on the Cooper wasn't very nice looking when I bought it, having a rather thin plastic like sheen especially on the bi-swing back, but over the years it has aged nicely and is now much better looking. I also have 2 other original G-1's,one of which was in excellent condition when i bought it on Ebay several years ago for much less than the price Silvermans are asking for the one you mention. The quality of the older ones seem to be much better both in terms of the leather used and in quality of construction. If you would like any measurements from any of the ones I have let me know.
All the best,
Pat

Edward

Bartender
Cheers, Pat.... I'd be curious to know whether they're close to a vintage style fit.... your Cooper is amodern jacket, then? It does seem from what I hear from folks who have them that the G1 over time stayed truer to the wartime fit than the reintroduced A2s. I guess the only answer is I'll have to try one on some day. An M442A style is on my list, though a ways behind an A2 and an Irvin.... :) I'm also keeping an eye on the Bay for postwar through Vietnam era G1s.... they seem to have changed vdery little from the 40s, but sell for a lot less than war-era jackets.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Cheers, Pat.... I'd be curious to know whether they're close to a vintage style fit.... your Cooper is amodern jacket, then? It does seem from what I hear from folks who have them that the G1 over time stayed truer to the wartime fit than the reintroduced A2s. I guess the only answer is I'll have to try one on some day. An M442A style is on my list, though a ways behind an A2 and an Irvin.... :) I'm also keeping an eye on the Bay for postwar through Vietnam era G1s.... they seem to have changed vdery little from the 40s, but sell for a lot less than war-era jackets.

Hey Edward, it's a size 38 Werber early G-1. 100% original and in perfect condition.

vsl1sp.jpg

5amfsz.jpg

2q9jlnt.jpg

Sly

New in Town
Estevan said:
Hey Edward, hope no one is offended by my spamming but I will be putting this up on eBay next week. It''s a size 38 Werber early G-1. 100% original and in perfect condition.

vsl1sp.jpg

5amfsz.jpg

2q9jlnt.jpg

I am offended.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Aviakid said:
GTH could be G T Hawkins, the famous footwear company of Northampton (now sadly closed).
G T Hawkins exists only as a brand now, Italian owned and with no connection to Northampton or the UK, I think the motorcycle boots on the Silverman's site may be made by them. The other footwear made under the G T Hawkins name these days bears no relation to the styles they used to make and has a very 'European' look to it.
The prices charged for the jackets on the Silverman's site are very reasonable but reflect the fact that they are almost certainly not British made, so could be Italian...?

Correct in every particular, Avi. Of course, Silverman's have been selling GTH 'police boots' for some time (ever since they were made in Northampton). The Italian owners now appear to have added clothing to their 'label'. I feel a 'Belstaff moment' coming on...

Alan

garzo

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to bump this thread and ask if anyone owns a GTH jacket. I've seen some nice looking motorcycle jackets selling online and would very much like to hear some opinions.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Aviakid said:

I seriously doubt that anything actually made in Italy could be reasonably priced...

Edward

Bartender
I'd guess that India or Pakistan are likely. A lot of leather goods on the UK mass market are made in Pakistan. I intend sometime soon to get around to going up to Silvermans and comparing the G1 models they have in stock. They moved the shop part of the business to a new facility just over the road from the old one in January, and the jackets are all now much more accessible for trying on...

Boucaneer

New in Town
I wear the GTH Luftwaffe Bomber Jacket. It has a fashionable 1920’s/1930’s style with the right hat, flat cap or watch cap.

I’m only a few miles from Silvermans and visited the store and tried it on and bought it in 2012. It is made from quality leather and well made in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy