Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guess not.

Holton1432

New in Town
I find it funny that I asked a question and there are no replies to my question but there are to everyone else's questions. That's okay. Either NO ONE knows about an answer to my question (which I find highly unlikely) or y'all just ain't talking today. Thanks again for nothing. Y'all have a nice day.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I find it funny that I asked a question and there are no replies to my question but there are to everyone else's questions. That's okay. Either NO ONE knows about an answer to my question (which I find highly unlikely) or y'all just ain't talking today. Thanks again for nothing. Y'all have a nice day.

Holton, I'm sorry you didn't get any response to your original post. Usually you get some responses, at least, if your hat is something someone recognizes. I certainly don't know anything about that hat, either, but it looks more like a western than the hats typically discussed here. There is, however, a "Western, Anyone" thread in the Hat section here. If you feel like trying again, you might get some responses there if you feel like trying again.

Good luck!

Holton1432

New in Town
Thank you, sir. I've just given up on finding out about it. Ill just donate it to charity or something.

That style of hat isn’t what we see much of here. It’s not a vintage or style that fits with what most of us look for. It’s a fairly modern hat, but we often can only get within a decade rather than the exact year. It could be very late 1970s, but I’d suspect it’s newer than that. Your photos don’t show enough of the hat to give a good valuation, and that’s something we don’t normally do here anyway. We leave it to the sellers to determine the value. I feel comfortable saying that it isn’t worth much. 4X Beaver hats of this era aren’t great. Hats with ventilation holes typically sell for significantly less than the same hat without holes.

No one was trying to be rude, but you also don’t get to show up and demand free information and about something beyond what we focus and then get huffy when you don’t get what you want. We go out of our way to help people, but you’re not entitled to our help. Most of us here, even the western crowd, wouldn’t give your hat more than a glance no matter low low the price. It’s not a bad hat, but it’s not what most of us are interested in here.

Feel free to demand a refund for your membership fees if you are not happy with the service we are providing you.

new2hats

A-List Customer
Holton, sometimes that happens to me too. Don't take it personally as things can just around in here. I think that if there is a pause or someone answers anothers post, a post may be overlooked. Sometimes mine totally goes unanswered so its best to repost somewhere else or post again if it gets lost in translation.

Not sure what hat you're talking about, as I only go to a few threads. But this is the best place that if you could ever get an answer, it will be here! so just be persistent and you will eventually get what you are looking for.

Holton1432

New in Town
That style of hat isn’t what we see much of here. It’s not a vintage or style that fits with what most of us look for. It’s a fairly modern hat, but we often can only get within a decade rather than the exact year. It could be very late 1970s, but I’d suspect it’s newer than that. Your photos don’t show enough of the hat to give a good valuation, and that’s something we don’t normally do here anyway. We leave it to the sellers to determine the value. I feel comfortable saying that it isn’t worth much. 4X Beaver hats of this era aren’t great. Hats with ventilation holes typically sell for significantly less than the same hat without holes.

No one was trying to be rude, but you also don’t get to show up and demand free information and about something beyond what we focus and then get huffy when you don’t get what you want. We go out of our way to help people, but you’re not entitled to our help. Most of us here, even the western crowd, wouldn’t give your hat more than a glance no matter low low the price. It’s not a bad hat, but it’s not what most of us are interested in here.

Feel free to demand a refund for your membership fees if you are not happy with the service we are providing you.
While I was not being demanding or rude as you suggested, I was simply looking for information as everyone else here is and I was disappointed that no one had replied. Please take your accusations elsewhere but thank you for your candid OPINION.

While I was not being demanding or rude as you suggested, I was simply looking for information as everyone else here is and I was disappointed that no one had replied. Please take your accusations elsewhere but thank you for your candid OPINION.

Your “thanks again for nothing” comment puts the lie to your assertion that you were not rude. I don’t know your intent, but the tenor of your post was not likely to win you any friends. Why anyone would start a new thread complaining that they didn’t get a question answered is beyond me.

You asked for our opinions and yet you apparently have a problem with me providing you with an “OPINION.” Is there something about my evaluation of your hat that you think is factually inaccurate?

If I offended you then I apologize. We need new members here, but in the years I’ve been here I’ve never seen a post like yours in the hats forum. Maybe I’m out of touch and that’s how the internet is anymore.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, sir. I've just given up on finding out about it. Ill just donate it to charity or something.

Here goes nothing........Your hat looks like the typical fair Stetson was pumping out in the 80s. It's a 4X so you can be pretty sure it's rabbit fur felt.
The reason you can't find much info on it is probably because it was a fun entry level hat & very few survived to the internet age & so didn't make it into the web's annals.......that & no one deemed it interesting enough to talk about.
The size 7 1/8 is medium & combined with the flashy hat band it will most likely appeal to a girly or someone looking for a fancy dress hat. The side vents on the crown will put off any serious hat buyer.
Value ? Using eBay as a rough guide & bearing in mind black hats aren't that popular.. I'd say between $25-$30
Please note, the above is not an expert evaluation.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Where is this hat everyone is talking about? I'd like to take a look at it, maybe worth converting these cheap old rabbit fur felts...
IMG-20190405-074340706-HDR.jpg

Stratton-Thin-Ribbon-3-A.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up

You have worded my thoughts far better than I could. My reaction to the original post was: "How to win friends and influence people."

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Looks like folks have already given pretty good answers.

I am thinking if you read your post out loud to yourself you’ll find it carries quite a negative tone; it’s probably not the way you’d like to interact with other folks. The internet is still weird, sometimes it magnifies emotions and reactions.

Good luck with the hat, it would still be great if you became another collector. A new hat person is always welcome.

Snowman

Practically Family
Having read the original post in question, I skipped over it because I had nothing to offer. This is a tack I often take, and probably should take more often.

My initial entry into the Lounge was through the “New Members” thread, and just as I would in a physical environment, I introduced myself. I was warmly welcomed, and thereafter accepted as a member. I cannot imagine walking into a room full of strangers and loudly proclaiming “Hey, ya’ll, stop what you are doing and answer my question.” There are thousands of threads here, and I stick to to ones that are relevant to me. I do take the time to find the ones in which my post would best fit.

This place and its members have been extremely helpful to me. As a relatively new member, I would love to help another new member, but some common courtesy is in order. After all, are we not ladies and gentlemen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner