Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guidelines for age and vintage hairstyles

Grantgirl

New in Town
I was curious as to whether certain vintage styles look better on certain age groups.

I am 34 and I'm wondering if there are guidelines for what types of styles I should be doing for my age.

Does anyone else feel like too much curl can look strange if you aren't in the 20s anymore? My mother made a remark the other day that got me thinking:

She said that curly hair you wear makes you look like you are 12, she has always liked my hair more straight and flat (zzzzzzzz). I think she would prefer the Hillary Clinton look if you want to know the truth. Anyway, I have always loved experimenting with different types of curl/pattern/ etc and my mother and sister have always championed the flat, straight, barely curled look and think we should all march to the same beat...

so, I'd like to get some other opinions if you don't mind. Let me know your thoughts.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I'd say age is less important than face shape. There are some styles which don't flatter older age groups, but I'm not thinking vintage styles there. Most vintage looks seem to work with all age groups.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This is a question my mother and I have been arguing about ever since I passed 40 -- she insists that once you pass the big 4-0, you're too old for shoulder-length hair, and it's time to get it cut into that short, straight "menopausal helmet" look you'll be required to wear thru middle age and beyond.

I, however, say nertz to that. One of the classiest women I've ever known was a retired Broadway/radio actress who, well into her 80s, had shoulder-length hair which she wore in rolls, updos, and other flattering styles -- and nobody ever looked more elegant. That's my goal -- and I'm halfway there.

Wear what looks good on *you.* That's the number one rule.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Well, you should avoid pigtails after 30 or so. Other than that do whatever you want.

Lots of older women look great with longer hair or curly styles.

The only reason a woman should cut her hair as she gets older is if she has female pattern baldness or some other problem with thinning IMHO.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Oh boy you crack me up. I know and dread the Menopausal Helmet. I just cut my hair to shoulder length, and in my case, at this time it looks better. But dang I know a lot of women with that "do", all of whom say "It so easy." Like having your head shaved for lice, it's easy, but I don't really want to go through life that way.

As always, you bring joy to my life.

jugband1

New in Town
agreed about the dreaded helmet....I have thick curly hair though, so i think mine would be more of a menopausal afro! That is what is keeping my hair long! tee-hee!

as long as your hair looks healthy, I say style on sister!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I'd say it depends on your face shape, and you won't know what suits you till you try it! My mum would love me to have long straight hair, but I have a long thin face so it only suits me shoulder length and purple.

Or maybe we could make the menopausal helmet some kind of fashion trend? I saw we all adopt this style, maybe a purple rinse aswell lol lol lol

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I decided a long time ago that I was going to have short hair while I'm young, then grow it when I'm older. I want long white hair when I'm old.

Naama

Practically Family
Reminds me of my mother.... She always says it looks ridicoulus if you are old and have your hair long. I never understand that. Like Tourbillion said, avoid pigtails, (and I would say, avoid them if you over 12!) and search for something that flatters your face!

Naama

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
Couldn't agree more - my mother's idea of the perfect hairstyle was the Dorothy Hamil cut. Now that does show my age! Personaly, I keep it long and have a vast arsenal of hair piece weaponry to disguise myself and suit any period as necessary.

fleur

One of the Regulars
I've always had long hair more often than short and I can count on one hand the amount of times I have had it cut off. The last time was when I was about 27/28 and it made me look like 45!

Im 35 on the 6th Jan and I still believe that long hair suits me rather than short. Im like TheKitschGoth - I want long white hair when I am old!

On the vintage front I do rolls, pincurls, snoods etc.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Really interesting point. My grandmother has always had waist-length hair. She went to art school in the 1930s and was always a bit bohemian (she hasn't worn a skirt since the 1920s as far as I know - always slacks) and it's interesting to look at her photos because she never did those huge rolly styles in the 40s. She's worn the same, beautiful coiled chignon with combs at the side and a jewelled silver clip on top for as long as I can remember, and it looks wonderful. Her hair turned white when she was in her 20s, though, which added to the dramatic effect.

I do see women wearing vintage styles for living history which I think look preposterously young for them. Women were more conscious of dressing their age in past periods, and I do find the ankle socks, big victory rolls and lace-trimmed print dress look a bit strange on a woman in her 50s, when at the time that was a look which would only have been sported by teenagers. Mind you, some can pull it off.

GOK

One Too Many
TheKitschGoth said:
I decided a long time ago that I was going to have short hair while I'm young, then grow it when I'm older. I want long white hair when I'm old.

That's just so you can claim to be a Malfoy!!! lol

When I was 39 I was told by one of my school governers that it was wrong for a woman of my age to have waist length hair. She was a couple of years younger than me and had mid-back length hair. I think she was jealous TBH - she ended up being sacked as she was a real troublemaker.

A couple of years ago, I had to have my hair cut to shoulder length due to an illness making a lot of it fall out. My normally super thick hair became quite horrid and brittle, so I thought the best thing was to get rid of it. It's almost back to normal now, though still not as thick as it was (which isn't a bad thing - at least I can get a brush through it now!) and it is mid-back length when straightened. I have no intention of having it cut short....yet! :rolleyes:

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
TheKitschGoth said:

Yep! This has been my choice also. I had done lots of experimenting with my hair with hair color & short styles in my 20s ~ However, as I got older I prefer it longer. When I get SUPER older (60s) I will probably opt for more of a shoulder length style. I LOVE Emmy Lou Harris's hair. She has this gorgeous silver gray hair and it's longer/shoulder length. She looks stunning.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Your hairstyle really should suit your age, among other things.

If you've ever seen an attractive woman from behind and she is wearing long, silky hair and sexy clothes, and then you see a 50-year-old face attached to the body, it can be startling. The clothes and hairstyle just make her look older.

So hairstyle, not hair length, is important. The straight, flat hair someone mentioned does not, to my eye, suit a lady who is much past 35 (unless she's Cher). Long, straight, grey hair looks unloved. However, long hair done a bun or a wave can look beautiful.

Grantgirl

New in Town
My hair is currently shoulder length but my thing is experimenting with curl patterns. I love it. I have rolled my hair ever since I was 4 yrs old. I would spend the night w/ my grandmother and sit in the bed with my comb and cup of water rolling pink rolls all over my head.

I think the weird thing is that I'm in the 'in between' age bracket -34 is not a spring chicken but not the age to put out to pasture either. I have red hair w/ no gray- yet. I really don't want to be one of those 'surprises' of the young back and old front either haha

Whoever was talking about the 'dorothy hamill' My mom used to have my sister's hair cut into that mushroom shape thingy and I think she has been trying for modern variations of that since then LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner