Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Guiding Light' canceled after 72 years

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
'Guiding Light' canceled after 72 years

"Guiding Light" will go dark in September after 72 years and 16,000 episodes, CBS announced Wednesday.

The daytime soap opera's declining viewership led to the decision, according to a CBS spokeswoman.

The show, which the Guinness Book of World Records lists as the longest-running television drama, first aired on NBC radio in 1937 as a 15-minute serial, the spokeswoman said. It moved to television on the CBS network in 1952.

The last episode is set to air on September 18, she said.

The show is produced in New York.

Im not a soaps watcher, but thats a freggin' long time! Anyone ever hear the '30s serials?

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
GL is the only soap I ever watched -- more for the historic link to the radio era than anything else. Last I knew there were still a few characters who were descendents of characters who dated back to the radio days. I have to admit I haven't watched in years, though -- it just got too dumb.

I've heard a long storyline from the radio version, circa 1950, involving a rather depressing murder trial that went on and on and on. Typical radio soap writing of the era -- you could go a month without hearing an episode and then pick up the story exactly where it left off.

A few years back GL celebrated its 70th anniversary by reenacting one of the 1937 radio episodes, using the current cast in period attire at a radio microphone, in a reasonable simulation of how it was actually done. A nice bit of homage, I thought, especially in a medium which rarely admits that anything existed prior to 1955.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My mom must have watched Days of Our Lives when she got the (rare) chance. I can still see the opening and hear the voice over. "Like sands through the hourglass..."
I watched "Dark Shadows" in reruns. Absolute fun garbage but like most of them, if you've seen two episodes you needn't see any more.

I once appeared in a musical directed by fellow who worked as a "featured player" on a soap. He said it was GREAT money, but a great deal of work. A great training ground as you had to know your lines and develop your character in very little time and with almost no rehearsal.

What are the long running soaps? DOOL, GL, TY&TR... what was the one that everyone was crazy for in the early 80's with the whole "Luke & Laura" thing? What a great concept. Relatively mindless, easy-to-follow drivel to keep a housewife company as she went about dusting, folding laundry, etc.

Funny thing is my dad got hooked on soaps way easier than mom. :)

Burnsie

Jeez, I'll have to call my Mom and see how she's holding up! She's reminisced about listening to this on radio in the 40's as a kid (GL is one year older than she is!) - and she's watched it religiously since getting married in 1959. I'd bet that after video came along she hasn't missed a single episode.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
scotrace said:
what was the one that everyone was crazy for in the early 80's with the whole "Luke & Laura" thing? What a great concept. Relatively mindless, easy-to-follow drivel to keep a housewife company as she went about dusting, folding laundry, etc.

That would be General Hospital .. my sis was hooked on that for a while & I got to work as a PA on it in the 90's .. good money .. great looking gals & great food concession lol

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
What took 'em so long? ;)

Seriously, I can't help but think of my grandmother when it comes to daytime TV, whether it be soaps or game shows (she was a big The Price is Right fan) and The Guiding Light was the soap that replaced her previous longtime favorite, Days of Our Lives...man, it's amazing how that stuff stays with me...it's maudlin to say it, but when something even as trivial as a soap opera heads towards oblivion, it really is a part of one's life that really ends. My grandparents are gone and so much of what existed during their time is gone, too. That's what I think of when I read the news about longlasting shows ending...

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Though I didn't watch a lot of Guiding Light, I am still a little sad to see it go.

Now if the Young and The Restless went off air I might be in fetal postion for a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen