Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitars

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Carlisle Blues. I agree. It was an interesting return, too, since I was once a music major before leaving school for a while, since I needed an income. I eventually went back, but I got English Lit. degrees. After the layoff, I really didn't want to resort to drinking or cheesepuffs and daytime TV, so I decided on a new instrument.

You have very cool guitars, and I've been tempted by something like a 356 or other hollow or semi-hollow.

I started with a Fender Highway One Strat, the first iteration, which is basically an older American-Series body and neck (but with a vintage-style truss rod and a thin lacquer finish), with Classic Series hardware and electronics. I played it enough to completely wear down the frets, so while it was with a luthier for about a month, I bought a Japan-market '62 reissue Tele, the unbound model with American Vintage pickups. The acoustic is a Martin 000-15.

I also have my father's old Harmony archtop, but it's close to unplayable, and his Gibson B-25. He bought the B-25 in the early the early 70s. It's a good example of how dodgy Gibson's work could be in the mid-late 60s, with gobs of glue sticking out from the binding and a bow between the soundhole and bridge, but it has some mojo, as well as a label-maker sticker that reads "Sister Maureen."

The Guitar Pick

I believe I started this thread,you folks have some cool geeetars,on the subject of picks,after 40 years countless plastic picks,and cultured "Tortise" type picks you just can not beat the "natural material pick" you bluegrass pickers know what I am talking about,once you get one you will never go back to any other!When I bought my D41 in 2005,first thing was to get rid of the cheezy tuners and put Waverley 17:1 butterbeans on it,next that pickguard material that CF Martin uses is terrible,change to the Grevin pickguard its beveled and has that pre war look.The plastic bridge pins are next to go,a little research and bought the fossilized walrus pins WOW there is a difference,believe me.Martin builds one of the best guitars around,but they have got to stop using that dot matrix pickguard material..PS has anyone tried the Martin D18 authentic?I did and IMO it isn`t worth the big money.The Collings D1A sounds just as good for alot less money.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sertsa said:
Thanks, Carlisle Blues. I agree. It was an interesting return, too, since I was once a music major before leaving school for a while, since I needed an income. I eventually went back, but I got English Lit. degrees. After the layoff, I really didn't want to resort to drinking or cheesepuffs and daytime TV, so I decided on a new instrument.

You have very cool guitars, and I've been tempted by something like a 356 or other hollow or semi-hollow.

I started with a Fender Highway One Strat, the first iteration, which is basically an older American-Series body and neck (but with a vintage-style truss rod and a thin lacquer finish), with Classic Series hardware and electronics. I played it enough to completely wear down the frets, so while it was with a luthier for about a month, I bought a Japan-market '62 reissue Tele, the unbound model with American Vintage pickups. The acoustic is a Martin 000-15.

I also have my father's old Harmony archtop, but it's close to unplayable, and his Gibson B-25. He bought the B-25 in the early the early 70s. It's a good example of how dodgy Gibson's work could be in the mid-late 60s, with gobs of glue sticking out from the binding and a bow between the soundhole and bridge, but it has some mojo, as well as a label-maker sticker that reads "Sister Maureen."

I like your stuff!!!!!!!! I shoulda been a music major ;) ;)

Once i picked up my 356 I never looked back...........it has a tonality that gives my tunes a throaty and deep sound that resonates into my soul. I AM a lucky guy.

Here is a pic

IMG_0651.jpg

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Carlisle Blues said:
I like your stuff!!!!!!!! I shoulda been a music major ;) ;)

Once i picked up my 356 I never looked back...........it has a tonality that gives my tunes a throaty and deep sound that resonates into my soul. I AM a lucky guy.

Thanks. Those are astonishing flamed tops. I usually go for a lack of ornamentation, but those are about perfect. That's not helping solve my GAS for a 356 or other semi-hollow/hollow-body, though.

Sean - Nice!

Carlisle Blues

Sertsa said:
Thanks. Those are astonishing flamed tops. I usually go for a lack of ornamentation, but those are about perfect. That's not helping solve my GAS for a 356 or other semi-hollow/hollow-body, though.

GAS lol lol lol You only get one life ...... live it well!!!!!!!!!!!!;) ;)

Warbaby

One Too Many
bburtner@moran said:
I believe I started this thread,you folks have some cool geeetars,on the subject of picks,after 40 years countless plastic picks,and cultured "Tortise" type picks you just can not beat the "natural material pick" you bluegrass pickers know what I am talking about,once you get one you will never go back to any other!

I'm with you on that - I've been making my own real tortoise shell picks for the last 20 years or so and they definitely have a distinctive tone and feel that none of the imitations can approach.

funneman

Practically Family
Great looking guitars and amps Gents.

Kools, your amazing wardrobe is rivaled only by your amazing musical arsenal.

As I have already mentioned in this thread my vintage guitar collection has long been cashed in to pay the mortgage. However, a very old friend surprised me with a Squire Affinity the other day. A much better guitar than I had expected.

As a result I have hooked up with my old country band and have been playing out. Here are a couple of shots of me with the band on July 4th with the Strat.

071-1-1.jpg

That's also my tweed Peavy Delta Blues amp on the stand behind me.

067-1.jpg

I don't own a guitar and I can't play one either, but have been surrounded by guitar players my whole life. Been to Sam Ash a million times with my brother and many other music stores. My brother and I go to the traveling Guitar Shows to see the new and the crazy vintage guitars. (In the 60's there was a tendency for inexpensive makes to load up on all sorts of switches on those electrics!)

A few observations from my perspective:

While a Stratocaster looks like the perfect playing body some how the Telecaster looks better.

Les Pauls and Marshall stacks were meant for each other.

Those big hollow body guitars from Gibson and Gretsch have a coolness that solid body electrics cannot match.

Old time hollow bodies done up in an original C&W bling have a kitsch that is very endearing.

I don't have a pix but my brother has about 8 electrics from an early 60's Epiphone that's like one Johnny Winter used, several Fenders and several Gibsons all the usual suspects. He did buy a Gibson 339 last year that is so nice!

Best wishes to all those players and collectors out there, and remember your wife can spend all day at the beauty parlour yet still get jealously pissed off if you spend 15 minutes playing your guitar.:p

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Got another one, cheap, to have in Maryland so I don't have to drag the sunburst one back and forth from Halifax.

IMG_5282.jpg

IMG_5313.jpg

Carlisle Blues

Normally I would post something like this, but , I AM PSYCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I just had a delivery of Mesa Boogie Express 5:50.

I have been waiting for 3 years for this. Once I get used to it I will post a little review.
icon12.gif

Here is a stock photo.

5x50ComboEnlargement.jpg

Al Niente

Familiar Face
Inlay

Hello fellow Hatterterians and music makers. Fellow musician here. I would like let you know of a great inlay artist, Cliff Suttle of Shark Inlay. I don't get anything for letting you know about him....he is my brother. Custom truss rod covers, back plates, pick guards, fingerboards and even whole guitars can have inlay. I have a Viking truss rod cover on my bass guitar. Check out his site at www.Sharkinlay.com. Great to look if nothing else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana