Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Had an interesting conversation with my father the other day

davestlouis

Practically Family
We went out to dinner, and he casually mentioned that my great-great-grandfather had been a shoemaker, and did I have an interest in all of his shoemaking tools? I about fell out of my chair. One, I was not aware of the occupations of anyone prior to my grandfathers, and second, I had no idea my dad had all of his tools. We are going to meet tomorrow and I should get the items then...I can't wait to see what he has.

edit....probably not the right forum, but I already typed it in once I thought of that...

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
We went out to dinner, and he casually mentioned that my great-great-grandfather had been a shoemaker, and did I have an interest in all of his shoemaking tools? I about fell out of my chair. One, I was not aware of the occupations of anyone prior to my grandfathers, and second, I had no idea my dad had all of his tools. We are going to meet tomorrow and I should get the items then...I can't wait to see what he has.

edit....probably not the right forum, but I already typed it in once I thought of that...

Please PM me when you see what you have.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I surely will, now if I can con my dad out of the shoeshine valet he's had since I was a kid, with the "Shoeshine 5 cents" on the side, I'd be all set. I imagine it dates from the 60s and is tacky-retro cool.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Good grief...dinner was great, pastrami sandwich on a pretzel bun with a side of cottage cheese, but my dad announced that he can't find the tools, doesn't recall what he did with them. Further , my parents are going to their winter home in AZ next week and promised to look when they get back in May.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Similarly, I have just acquired my father's old show repairing last. It is a massive block of wood with a fitting for heavy, iron lasts. These are in a variety of sizes and styles, including ones shaped for high-heeled womens shoes. I am currently renovating it and will post photos once it is finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112