Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Had my first hot towel shave yesterday

matei

One Too Many
Greetings all!

I had my first hot towel shave yesterday at an "old time" barbers on Westmoreland Street, here in Dublin. This place was on the news a few years ago because they were apparently one of the few barber shops to still offer this service.

Anyway, me lovely wife got me a gift certificate last Christmas to go down and have a go... Oh my - what an experience! The barber really earned his money with me. I have a really heavy, tough beard, which required yer man to sit for almost 10 minutes working the shaving paste in.

The end result was superb. I haven't had skin that smooth since I was about 10 years old! No razor burn, no negative effects. Not one cut or scrape. Afterwards he used some kind of goopy aftershave which left my skin very soft - but I didn't particularly care for the scent.

He also gave me a "head massage". I had the "shiatsu" version previously at me wife's hoity toity salon, but this was different. Intense, but actually quite pleasant. Yer man's hands were a blur they were moving so fast. He used some kind of strange smelling on my hair prior to and during the massage. I don't know what it was - I haven't decided if I like the smell or not. My wife didn't though - she said that it smelled like "old men".

If any of you are ever through Dublin, I highly recommend the service. Try to get the guy who is actually featured in the newspaper clipping posted at the entrance. He looks a little like Pervez Musharraf (the Pakistani leader), so he is easy to spot. The man was an expert with the straight razor!

matei

One Too Many
Ayuh, I did. Hung it up on the little hook as well when I took it off!

I really liked the atmosphere as well... classic music (not classical), real relaxed vibe...

matei

One Too Many
Very cool - I was a bit late reading this post. Sounds like you really know the place.

I liked the place so much I went back to get me barnet cut and it was great.

I brought my straight razor with me 'cos I needed it honed. It had just come and I tried like a fool to shave with it. Ouch.

The fella in the back (Liam?) was nice enough to not only hone it but also explain the proper technique for stropping and shaving.

What a difference! After two tries I am already Gillette free! This razor give me a much closer shave than anything I've ever tried.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy