Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hair extensions

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
ITG said:
I have a question...somewhat related somewhat not. When I wash my hair, I feel like I could be making my own hair extentions that I could tape/glue to my other strands. I have hair that actually comes out, maybe at least 30 strands each time I wash my hair. Is this normal? Lately it seems like it's been more consistent and I'm thinking maybe I'm just more stressed with the wedding stuff or could there be something medically wrong or just a summer shedding of dead hair?
It is normal. The time you need to start worrying is when you're not losing any hair. Everybody sheds to a certain degree. Stress can also make you 'shed' more than usual, which may be expected considering your still planning a wedding. During this time, I would really try to take time out for yourself for relaxation. It's too easy to start getting overwelmed! (this is the advice I wish I would have taken!)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
I love my fony tale. It clips in so easily, and it stays in all day. The one I have isn't of the highest quality, so I do need to take the time to brush it out a few times a day. I got mine at Walgreens too, it's probably the same one as some of you ladies have. It's made by Scunci. Only bad thing is they don't have a huge color selection.
At the Walgreens where I live there is only two selections of hair color to choose from, brunette or blond. Good thing I went back to brunette :D
I also find the fony tail to be great, it actually feels secure, which is a must if you're going to be out and about all day long. It would be too embarrassing to have your fake hair start to fall out on you in public! :eek:

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
I have a question...somewhat related somewhat not. When I wash my hair, I feel like I could be making my own hair extentions that I could tape/glue to my other strands. I have hair that actually comes out, maybe at least 30 strands each time I wash my hair. Is this normal? Lately it seems like it's been more consistent and I'm thinking maybe I'm just more stressed with the wedding stuff or could there be something medically wrong or just a summer shedding of dead hair?

Like others have noted, it is normal. However, hair loss is also a symptom of any number of maladies including thyroid troubles. If you think your hair loss has increased suddenly, see a doctor. If it's always been that way, join the club.

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Pregnancy and Postpartum (especially) hormonal issues can also sometimes be the cause. And, I myself have irregular periods, which tends to cause more hair loss during my ovulation period (keep in mind, I'm certainly not a Dr.)

Elaina

One Too Many
ITG...

Heh, I hear you. I pull what seems to be large clumps from my head all the time.

I was told by my hairdresser I see once a year (blasted anxiety) when it got really noticable 9 years ago it was normal. Maybe more then some folks, but as long as you're not getting bald spots, you may have a ton of hair. Another thing to note is that when you're hair changes every 7 years it can be worse then then at other times.

I have really thin fine hair, but a lot of it. I lose maybe 200 strands a day. Enough when I wash my hair I have to clean the drain. I also worked as a waitress up until last year and had to "clean" the stands out about once an hour and pulled 5-10 out every time. I was told if I could help it to wash my hair less, and try brushing it with soft bristles to minimize breakage of healthy hair. (I also get "big" hair if I don't weigh it down with gel.) I also recently started developing dandruff with the last hair change, so bad that I had to get a dermatologist to treat it because it was causing way more hair loss then normal.

Dyeing it is bad, heat styling is bad, and diet can contribute to loss. (Means no coffee, no sugar, milk...all the things I LIVE off of is worse on my hair.) Got a bald patch when I got pregnant with my son (it finally is grown back enough it's not noticable) and it's worse depending. Stress can make it worse, medication can make it worse and to be honest if you need 8 hours of sleep and get 6..or 9...it can be worse. I was placed on medication that I had my hair cut 6 months ago above my ears, and it's about 2 inches past my shoulders now. I was supposed to lose it, and it grew alarmingly fast instead (which also caused me to lose more strands too.)

If it concerns you, go ask the person that cuts your hair. They can help you determine cause and cures to try, or go to a doctor to find out exactly what's going on.

Basically, there is a lot of reasons: natural, stress, changing, medical, not.

LOL I got superstitious about it a while ago. I've decreased it (or seems like I have) somewhat by cutting it in the waxing cyle of the moon instead of the wane. (Just don't ask. I'm really weird.) Because mine alarmed me so much, I was going to try anything.

Sorry for the long post!

Elaina

ITG

Call Me a Cab
doghouse said:
And I apologize if I come across rude..
But I seem to recall you have had some medical problems.. those very well might have contributed..

Overall, I hope things work out for you... :)

Actually no med problems that I'm aware of ail me. The hormonal thing could be the answer, plus stress. Since I'm getting married in a month, my doctor put me on birth control a few months back. That could be it as I know that changes up the hormones a bit.

Thank you all for the input! Now back to hair extentions.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can buy tons of hair at Sally Beauty, which I think Daisy already mentioned. My friend Marcella of Hollywood Ultra uses the long packs of fake hair (real hair, no clip or anything on it, just strands) to add color to her 'do sometimes - she just adds it to curls on top of he head!

Another way to use the clip-in ponytails is to remove the ponytail from the clip and bobby pin it in at the nape of your neck. To do this I usually back comb a section at the bottom of my hair, roll it up to my nape, and secure it with bobby pins, and then bobby pin the net of hair to that. The rest of my hair conceals the handywork. Works really well and usually is pretty secure.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You can buy tons of hair at Sally Beauty, which I think Daisy already mentioned. My friend Marcella of Hollywood Ultra uses the long packs of fake hair (real hair, no clip or anything on it, just strands) to add color to her 'do sometimes - she just adds it to curls on top of he head!

Another way to use the clip-in ponytails is to remove the ponytail from the clip and bobby pin it in at the nape of your neck. To do this I usually back comb a section at the bottom of my hair, roll it up to my nape, and secure it with bobby pins, and then bobby pin the net of hair to that. The rest of my hair conceals the handywork. Works really well and usually is pretty secure.
I saw their 'real hair' at Sally's as well, they also have some before and after pictures of people wearing them, they look great. I'm still too frustrated with my last attempt with my clip in faux hairs to try again :rolleyes:
So with undoing the ponytails from the clips, is it easy to put it back on? Great idea by the way!:D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
NO! You have to buy two - one keeping on the clip, one for removing from the clip.
Glad I asked then!;) It would be a great deal cheaper to go about it, Sally's extensions were kind of expensive and I wasn't too impressed with the brand I got :( .....so with clipping this undone faux tail into the hair, how would you go about it then? do you clip it in about somewhere in the middle? or more towards the nape of the neck? The big thing for me is to have this look as natural and real as possible!!!!!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mysterygal said:
Glad I asked then!;) It would be a great deal cheaper to go about it, Sally's extensions were kind of expensive and I wasn't too impressed with the brand I got :( .....so with clipping this undone faux tail into the hair, how would you go about it then? do you clip it in about somewhere in the middle? or more towards the nape of the neck? The big thing for me is to have this look as natural and real as possible!!!!!

Well, what I do when I use them clip it in at the nape of the neck. It works perfectly because the rest of your hair covers the rolled-up backcombed hair. Then just poke bobby pins through the net and into your little hair roll to secure it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy