Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Falling Out?

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I've realized that my hair seems to be falling out more then ever. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. I set my hair at night alot and have been thinking that maybe because I won't get the regular "shedding" when it's rolled and under a cap at night but even when I just brush my hair I seem to lose alot. I'm feeling fine generally and I know people's hair changes and what not, but i'm just curious.

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
The lack of regular "shedding" can add up to what seems like a big effect. I've put my hair all up in small braids a few times - it usually lasts about 2 weeks before it needs to come out. The first time i did it i almost panicked at the amount of hair that fell out when i undid all the braids, but of course it makes sense if you think about it; none of it could fall out a little at a time while it was all tied up. You may just be dealing with that on a smaller scale.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
ladybrettashley said:
The lack of regular "shedding" can add up to what seems like a big effect. I've put my hair all up in small braids a few times - it usually lasts about 2 weeks before it needs to come out. The first time i did it i almost panicked at the amount of hair that fell out when i undid all the braids, but of course it makes sense if you think about it; none of it could fall out a little at a time while it was all tied up. You may just be dealing with that on a smaller scale.

Ya, i had those braid extensions when i was in high school (lasted 2 weeks until i snapped and cut them out) and the amount of hair that fell out added up to about a small cat. I know that one, but i mean, i can almost fill my brush in just about 2 weeks...that seems like alot to me. Maybe I'm crazy...[huh]

Elaina

One Too Many
I used to worry a lot about this. I once decided to see how long it would take me to make usable rats. I got a full one and a half in a week.

If you have really thick hair or a ton of fine hair naturally, it may just be the nature of the beast. I'm not going bald, and my hair isn't thinning out, I just lose an alarming amount.

I've been losing this much hair for over a decade, and I'm not bald yet.

LawnFlamingo

Familiar Face
I don't post here much.. but thank you so much for this thread.. this past week I've had a large amount of hair shedding and it's caused me to panic.

I've read that every seven years, your hair (and skin) completes a full shedding cycle. I'm 28, so I think that may be it in my case. According to the doctor I went to see about this, stress can increase the amount of hair you are shedding. He also told me to take note if you can see the root in the hairs that have fallen out... if you can see the root... it's natural shedding (or due to a vitamin deficiency). If you can't see the root, it may be breakage, which is a different story all together.

It is really alarming though.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
My hair actually noticeably comes out a lot, and it's done so since I was 15 or so. I've wondered if it's because I keep my hair in ponytails so much, pomp it a lot, have dyed it, use a moderate amount of heat styling, etc.
I had a doctor tell me once that it was hormones and/or stress. One of the types of birth control pills I took made my hair fall out a lot, too. I suppose the above things could have an impact on it, if you do any of those.
I've noticed mine falls out a lot more when my hair is below my shoulders, too.
I don't have very thick hair, mine's fine and thin, but there's a lot of it. Like a few gals stated above though, I have found it easier to gather hair for rats. [huh]

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I think you're probably right - I've only just recently been able to relax washing my hair, and do it a bit less often than usual, and I'm really noticing the hair coming out because it's not just coming out in my morning wash.

Although I do seem to shed more in the summer! x

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
My hair seems to be thinning quite a bit at the front top bit of my head, at the hair line above my forehead. I've noticed it get thinner over the past few years.
I also have alopecia areata, but that (thankfully) always seems to leave a bald spot somewhere it can easily be disguised. But the thinning on the top of my head seems quite different to the alopecia hair loss... and i'm starting to get quite worried.
I've always had quite alot of hair fall out in hair brushes and when washing it... but this thinning thing is a bit scary. I don't want to be 30 and wearing a wig...

JennyLou

Practically Family
My hair has been falling out for a long time and is very thin. I have PCOS which is probably the cause of this. I don't like it- it makes doing vintage hairstyles really hard.

Blondie

Practically Family
There is a thread somewhere about hair loss due to roller sets,
are you getting bald spots in a few places or is it just falling out all over ??
If it is really worrying you, you should go see a Dr as it can be ( but most often not ) a sign of an underlying health issue.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I'm starting to think that my hair is falling out due to stress, and especially if i wear it up when i sleep. I've been fairly stressed out, you can tell by the state of my skin and i've noticed my hair is falling out more as well. I wore my hair down to sleep last night and noticed that my hair didn't seem to fall out as much with this mornings brush. I'm gonna keep trying that and if it doesn't help, i'll head to the doc. I think i have to re-evaluate my eating habits as well as with the stress...they haven't been stellar.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I feel for you. My hair is thinning a lot because of follicle damage. Darn hair dye :(

Once it starts growing back, I'm either going to tint it back natural, or switch to henna. In the meantime, its loose french twists and large flowers/wrap around scarves for me.

pumori

New in Town
My hair has been falling out for a while now too, and I'm fairly sure it was caused by stress and a poor diet (I don't eat enough, and that certainly doesn't do wonders for your hair). One thing that helped me was making sure I got enough protein...they make soy protein powders that you can put in a smoothie or whatever suits you, and they taste nice too. I heard that getting enough vegetables also helps...and it's good for the rest of you =]

Taking vitamin supplements like Biotin supposedly help, they worked for me. There's a lot of people who say taking a prenatal vitamin can help your hair to get stronger, but I'm not sure if that's a legitimate statement...it can't hurt I guess.

Sorry for ranting but I hope the information helps!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran