Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair gloss

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
Have any of you used one of those hair gloss kits? I stopped coloring my hair in January because it was getting too dry and damaged, but I loved the way hair color made it so shiny. I was wondering if the gloss was drying or damaging too??

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have not, but I did get a conditioning treatment by Biolage at the salon, and it worked wonders on my hair! It was only $10, and my hair was soft, shiny, and completely reconditioned after the treatment. It had been very dry and was refusing to hold any sort of set--after the treatment I started getting 3-4 days out of it.

Biolage sells the same type of treatment for home use, but I did not get the same results as I did in the salon (and all the hairdresser did was smooth the serum in my hair, wrap it in a towel, and wait 10-15 minutes before washing out.)

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
I use Redkin's "Glass" on the rare days that I dry my hair straight. I have course, naturally curley, colour treated hair and it makes it look amazingly shiney and sleek and keeps the frizz to a minimum. Especially on humid days. It actually seems to bring the bounce back to my curls after the next wash.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Quote by Jitterbugdoll:
Biolage sells the same type of treatment for home use, but I did not get the same results as I did in the salon (and all the hairdresser did was smooth the serum in my hair, wrap it in a towel, and wait 10-15 minutes before washing out.)

Suggestion:If she used a damp hot towel,you can do the same by dampening a towel and heating it in a microwave for about 10-20 seconds.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
rubyredlocks said:
Quote by Jitterbugdoll:

Suggestion:If she used a damp hot towel,you can do the same by dampening a towel and heating it in a microwave for about 10-20 seconds.

He didn't actually use any heat. He told me that you can buy a home treatment, but that it didn't work as well. I tried it for fun and the results were nowhere near the same. [huh]

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Just beware of over use of some of the serums that contain protein. Too much can acutally cause more damage/dryness.

One such particular serum is Biosilk Silk Therapy. It's great stuff.. but in tiny amounts.

I love the new White Tea Magical Serum.

Also, you may want to opt for gels or styling items that give more shine, such as Paul Mitchel Super Sculpt gel, or Sebastion Laminates line.

Redken makes a spray gloss called Vinyl Glam to put on after your hair is styled.

I also agree with the Biolage products~ great stuff but I do believe the home products are different than the salon service one. At least I remember them being different when I bought them at the beauty supply store. I haven't used it in quite some time, so I'd have to look.

Nikki

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I think folks are a bit confused. Are you talking about a serum you apply when you style your hair to make it shiny, or do you mean color glaze/gloss?

If you are talking about a color glaze/gloss, then no, it isn't damaging. I get a color glaze done to my hair, and my stylist told me that my hair is still considred "virgin" hair. The glaze doesn't contain ammonia so it doesn't do damage. My hair comes out SUPER shiny and very soft. It lasts between 6-8 weeks, gradually getting lighter and lighter.

Color glaze can't lighten your hair, just enhance your natural color. It will look different depending on what your base color is. I have light/medium brown hair, and I use a flame/crayon/bright red on my hair. It comes out VERY red, but also very dark. If you see in my avatar, that was the day after getting a glaze done. (I am not in the sun so you can't really see my red. Trust me, in the sun it is dramatic :)) My hair is rather dark. By the time I get it re-done, my hair is back to a lightish-redish brown.

The great thing about the color glazes is that they come in some pretty extreme looking colors. On brown hair they aren't quite so dramatic. On blonde, you could get more primary colors. Or, something more natural. There is quite the range and lots of possibilities. And you can change it often without killing your hair!

I have been doing the glaze for months, and my hair feels wonderful! I love it! If you have a salon you trust, I say go for it! My stylist charges me $40 for the glaze, just to give you an idea of what it might run. I also have short hair, it is down to my chin. To give you a comparison, my stylist charges about $35 for a shampoo, cut and style. If your stylist is more or less expensive, the glaze may be a bit more or less expensive, too.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I also use the color glaze/gloss on my hair, in clear. My mom's colorist uses it on her, but I just buy mine from Sally's. Very nice, non-damaging, definite difference.

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies.

I try to by the gloss enhancing products, but most days I just wear my hair natural, (it's stick straight), and don't put anything other then a shine spray on it.

My hair is a reddish brown, so I'm not sure what color gloss I should put on it, I think I'll do clear first. So it's the ammonia in color that's the damaging stuff then? I wasn't sure, I'll give the clear a try!!

Thanks again ladies :D

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
One of the other cool things about color glaze is that it can also act as a corrector. If, for example, your hair was a bit ashy, the opposite color could be applied, and it would neutralize the ashy tones. I wondered why the glaze came in green, blue, yellow, etc. Pretty interesting. It's amazing what a hairdresser can do!

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
Vavoom used to make the best shine serum I have ever had the fortune of using. Unfortunately, it was discontinued several years ago due to lack of sales.

If anyone is familliar with it or comes across any that works as well without making your hair greasy, please let me know.

I favor a dark purpley magenta shade for my hair and shine is crucial.

badleekitty

New in Town
ohairas said:
Just beware of over use of some of the serums that contain protein. Too much can acutally cause more damage/dryness.

One such particular serum is Biosilk Silk Therapy. It's great stuff.. but in tiny amounts.

I love the new White Tea Magical Serum.

Also, you may want to opt for gels or styling items that give more shine, such as Paul Mitchel Super Sculpt gel, or Sebastion Laminates line.

Redken makes a spray gloss called Vinyl Glam to put on after your hair is styled.

I also agree with the Biolage products~ great stuff but I do believe the home products are different than the salon service one. At least I remember them being different when I bought them at the beauty supply store. I haven't used it in quite some time, so I'd have to look.

Nikki

Oh dear!!!

I use this stuff all the time ...I try not to use that much because it is super oily. I have alot of hair that is pretty wavy with natural curl so this stuff tends to work really good for me. I have tried alot of serums and this works the best for me. I really hope I am not drying out my hair with this stuff. It does work get for my frizzes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot