Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair help - what am I doing wrong???

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
When I use foam rollers, I use two packages of them. Also be aware that foam rollers can cause dents where the plastic bar holder thingys are. Each of the different type of rollers have their pros and cons. Foam rollers are easier to sleep in, but take more brushing to work around the dent.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Like Kamikat, I use more than one package of rollers too. I think I might actually have three but since cutting my hair have pared it down to two. I agree with ginfizz, that looks to be too few rollers. You may find that your ends will not be dry in the morning, as I do if I use too much when I'm in a hurry. Unless you're planning on leaving in your rollers for most of the day tomorrow, expect droopy curls. Kamikat mentioned dents, I don't seem to have a problem with this with my foam rollers? Sometimes I might notice one or two from the rollers at the crown of my head but they brush out no problem. If you are that concerned about dents, you might try searching By Gum By Golly's blog. She did an excellent post about foam rollers with an explanation about how to avoid dents from the bar.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I use right around 3 packs of rollers sometimes more sometimes less depending on the set I'm doing. I use a size smaller than the pink ones though personally, which would lead to needing more. Also you may want to check your local dollar store. My local dollar store has the pink size foam rollers. Which is a nice price, especially since I seem to break them a lot.

Miss C

New in Town
ok, a day late, but here are some piccies. The hair on smaller rollers had tighter curls and lasted longer, and as Ginfizz said was likely, some weren't completely dry. I can only find the rollers in packs of 5 locally and none in the £-shop!! Lessons learnt and will move on from here, hopefully!
IMAG0139-1.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0136-1.jpg

Cx

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
They look great!
Sometimes if I have one or 2 that aren't completely dry I just hit them with the blow drier in the morning. If they aren't completely dry they get this weird stringy not curly awful look. It doesn't look like you had that problem, but just a piece of advice.

Tatum

Practically Family
Miss C, having insanely thick hair like you, here is what works for me. After washing your hair, let it air dry almost completely. It's usually still pretty damp on the underside. Section everything out. Spritz some setting lotion on your hands and run through the section that you want to work on (I will usually start on the front and sides, as that it what is mostly dry). Work on that section, be it rollers, pin curls, whatever. Sponge rollers are a lifesaver, as the other ladies have mentioned! Move to the next driest section and continue that way.

I have the same problem, with my sets not drying completely. Sometimes it takes twelve + hours. Don't let it deter you, find fun things to do with scarves. I have been know to go out in snoods covering my entire rolled head ;)

And for comparison's sake, I use about 30 or so rollers. The more you use, the faster your hair will dry.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I have the same problem, with my sets not drying completely. Sometimes it takes twelve + hours. Don't let it deter you, find fun things to do with scarves. I have been know to go out in snoods covering my entire rolled head ;)

This is good advice! I tentatively unroll one roller from my thickest section (front top), and if there's even the slightest hint of dampness, on goes the headscarf. Nothing worse than a half-dry set that despite you having slaved over it the night before, will go lank and flat in the blink of an eye, and all the brushing in the world won't save it from that 'stringy' look that someone else mentioned.

If you aren't sleeping on your rollers (or have a neck and constitution of steel), try the hollow plastic rollers (magnetic rollers) with snap-on cases. I can't sleep in them regularly but my hair dries the fastest and smoothest of any type of roller. As Tatum mentioned, watching your sectioning helps too- too much hair and they won't dry, too little hair and they'll frizz.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
My hair is fine but there's lots of it - if that makes sense. It takes forever to dry so I always blow dry it until it's just very, very slightly damp when I set it.

If I'm setting overnight, I put in stand-up pin curls by wrapping my hair around the handle of my blusher brush then sliding in out and pinning (this is how I do my victory rolls incidently). These stand up curls are the most comfortable thing for me to sleep in and don't seem to be affected too much by crushing etc.

If I'm setting in the day (and have the time), I use perm rods (a la Lolita Haze) to get a longer lasting, tighter curl. It's definitely harder to cover up the perm rods with a scarf though!

As with everyone else, I use a lot of curlers unless I'm just going for a smooth crown/ curled under look.

I think your set looked lovely though!

Miss C

New in Town
Thank you ladies for all off your advice, valuable advice for a newbie like me! I believe the first thing that I am going to have to do is invest in some more rollers, ebay here I come! Another 10-20 should do it!!! And then I will be able to do the smaller sections :)

I would like to try to do a set more often, but struggle with time before work in the morning, nothing worse than a hair disaster just before you leave the house, unfortunately no headscarves allowed at work :(

And AdrianLvsRocky - how to you manage to keep your ends wrapped round your blusher brush for your victory rolls??? Have tinkered with this on a couple of occasions, but my ends keep sticking out :eeek: Oh and what colour do you use on your hair - I really love it!!

Will keep you posted ladies.......
Cx

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
My hair is very very curly and will not set curly in a wet set. It just will not dry, and if it does, I have kinks all over and I don't like it.

I wash, and blow dry to straight. Then, I dampen the ends with a spray with half water half conditioner and roll round the sponge rollers. I use the big ones and only roll the ends. Or I did when my hair was long - have had it all chopped off!

BTW, Wilkinson's have good sponge rollers.

Jools

New in Town
My hair is VERY odd...it WAS quite curly,and the older I get,the straighter,ie:straight on top, curly at the ends. Ergo I am a slave to hair tools. Right now I have my hair up in rag rollers...but I love Conair pillow curlers. If I want to do a pageboy, I resort to my vintage(MY vintage, as in High School, back when the earth's surface was still cooling) Clairol Hot rollers. By the way, for the lady in Cornwall, try to find a hairstylist in your town where all the old ladies get their wash'n' set done. Good luck!

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
And AdrianLvsRocky - how to you manage to keep your ends wrapped round your blusher brush for your victory rolls??? Have tinkered with this on a couple of occasions, but my ends keep sticking out :eeek: Oh and what colour do you use on your hair - I really love it!!

I spray my hair with hairspray first so it's a bit damp and I wrap it around over itself if you see what I mean[huh]If any ends poke out, I just tuck them back in. When I slide the handle out, I hold either end of the tube and tighten it towards my head. This is actually really hard to explain!

The dye I used to use was schwarzkopf live in Real Red but I've had a more coppery/ ginger colour put in at the hairdressers now. I think I'm going to use Feria Intense Mango Copper to top it up as I can't afford to get my hair dyed at the hairdressers all the time!

Regarding time before work - I usually shove in some standing pin curls just before I got to bed and then just brush out in the morning. It doesn't always give a really authentic/ period look but it does add a nice wave so then I can just clip the sides back and job done!

jenicamalaya

New in Town
Our hair play big part for our good or bad look, take care hair genitally, avoid hair colours and do not bleach on hair these all product contain so many chemicals that damage our hair, take massage with hot oil at least twice in a week and avoid use of hair drier to make hair dry because hot air damage our hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk