Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair question

tofu

New in Town
i had problems with a dent on the back of my head after wearing my fedora for over 30 minutes. sometimes it even developed into a split and made it look as if i was balding at the crown.

i have regular combed/brushed back hair about 2-3 inches in length. the sides are proportionately cut.

now to the point,

i solved this issue with a hair product called "american crew matte." it was a bit pricey at $14 for a 3.5oz "tub," but you really only need to use very litte, so it will definitely last over a month or two (maybe more) with hair my length. as you can tell by the name, it dries into a matte finish. if you are going for a shiny (but not cheesey car salesman) look, there is american crew grooming cream, which would probably work equally as well, but provide a stronger hold and a natural shine. i haven't tried that one though

the only problem is you need to make sure the stuff dries before you put on your hat, or it will obviously mold to that shape. otherwise, the hair seems to bounce back on its own upon removal of the hat. it doesnt take a long time to dry, but it's something you should definitely note if you're the type to fix your hair 5 minutes before leaving.

Feraud

Bartender
ideaguy said:
makes me wonder if all those really griping have any hair for the hat
to leave a bad impression upon...and then, there's "hat head"...:rolleyes:
For the most part we are an honest bunch. If a guy is griping about hat hair I believe he has "the goods".

ideaguy

One Too Many
hat hair

Ok,Ok,I sorry... if youze guys didn't seem to be an honest bunch I wouln't be
here. As for my wisecrack, mostly due to the fact I have too thick hair at 52
yrs.old-wish it were thinner so I didn't have to fight with it all the time, and no, buzz cut not in future. So-sorry if any offence taken. ideaguy

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I use Royal Crown just about every day and I know that the only places I generally get hat hair is at the sides, around 10:00 and 2:00. I just give it a few quick strokes with my fingertips to get some life back into my hair and that's that.

tofu

New in Town
Ghos7a55assin said:
I use Royal Crown just about every day and I know that the only places I generally get hat hair is at the sides, around 10:00 and 2:00. I just give it a few quick strokes with my fingertips to get some life back into my hair and that's that.

judging from your avatar, it looks as though your hair is just combed or brushed forward. hard to get hat hair that way ;)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Ghos7a55assin said:
Ray (If I may call you Ray) do you have any problems with the Royal Crown staining hat liners or even seeping into the felt itself? I know that some sort of hair dressing was the norm back in the day,but there was also a great number of hatters too.Getting my hat cleaned is going to be harder and more expensive now.

I usually use a dab of Brylcreem ,but I have used Royal Crown also. Thanks.

Feraud

Bartender
ideaguy said:
As for my wisecrack, mostly due to the fact I have too thick hair at 52
yrs.old-wish it were thinner so I didn't have to fight with it all the time, and no, buzz cut not in future. So-sorry if any offence taken. ideaguy
Too much hair? You lucky guy! :D ;)

ideaguy

One Too Many
hat hair

Feraud said:
Too much hair? You lucky guy! :D ;)
not so fast-I managed to stick head up *ss and thought I had a great view-
again. Went to my "stylist" today, ( difference between stylist & barber:$25.-)
and when I looked up from the fancy magazine there was a very noticable gap
in the thatch that covers my noggin. She said it's called "scalp". As a friend and
confidant she is, I was alerted to a few more views of "scalp".
Ain't gonna cut my hair.#1 Buy black spray paint#2. Wear hat and shut up#3.
Scalp. I have a fair amount of Massasoit Indian blood in the family hedge, and
that's the only scalp I really could relate to...now will deal with Motorcycle
helmet hair, hat hair, and finding creative ways to not see "scalp" in mirror.
AHA! if I take down all the mirrors in the house, I won't see myself, and the
"scalp" thing won't exist!! :eusa_doh:

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Creme Pomade (my cheapo brand is got2be)

Goes on like Cool Whip.

If your hair is wet it looks slicked back like oil even when dry (and non-staining) but doesn't look pinned in place and hard like mousse.

If you put it on dry hair it will hold all day and leave the hair naturally shiney but not wet. My straight hair looks like God wanted it to go back

Different amounts give different looks but it never looks like you've dunked your head in a vat of oil.

Just fluff it with your fingers on the sides and back if the brim pushes it flat, it doesn't seem to take a set like with some products. Mine will occasionally let a lock fall forward insouciently over one eye ala Brendan Fraser/Mummy.

Gives girls something to brush back when they want to do intimate but non-sexual touching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou