Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Spools

Cricket

Practically Family
If they are comfy for a good night's sleep, where do I order? :) I have never seen these before, but they sure do interest me. Mmmm....when is my next paycheck?;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
There is talk about them in various threads here and also in the pincurls thread. Do a search for "spoolies". The general consensus seems to be that they make curls too small to be any good.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
I have some old ones and they are too small for my thick, shoulder length hair. But if my hair were short, say 3 to 4 inches, they might work better.

Oops, I got some off Ebay to try (under another name) that I still have to receive. With thick, coarse, almost waist lenght curly hair looks like it is not going to work lol

Blondie

Practically Family
These look cute, but i guess i would scare the neighbours with a head full of these !
a92a_1.jpg

shamrocq

New in Town
Blondie said:
These look cute, but i guess i would scare the neighbours with a head full of these !

They're kind of in the rage in Asia now. As a matter of fact I just got myself 4 of those balls to try out. It suppose to be comfy to sleep in. I wanted to try the conventional sponge rollers but it's weird I couldn't find them here.

Those spoolies we have them here too. I have a pack of it at home. If anyone's interested do PM me. I haven't really used them, but I had opened the packet to try it on.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
shamrocq said:
They're kind of in the rage in Asia now. As a matter of fact I just got myself 4 of those balls to try out. It suppose to be comfy to sleep in. I wanted to try the conventional sponge rollers but it's weird I couldn't find them here.

Those spoolies we have them here too. I have a pack of it at home. If anyone's interested do PM me. I haven't really used them, but I had opened the packet to try it on.

Oh, the strawberries are so cute! I want some for me and my daughter...please post and let me know how they work out?

Blondie

Practically Family
shamrocq said:

Shamroq, please let us know how well the strawberries curl your hair !
I saw them on Ebay and have been wondering whether they work or not.

shamrocq

New in Town
Sponge Ball Curler

Blondie said:
Shamroq, please let us know how well the strawberries curl your hair !
I saw them on Ebay and have been wondering whether they work or not.

This is how the balls turned out. Please note I only have 4 balls, so I couldn't do my whole head, instead I choose to do one side only. In the photo you will see one side on my hair uncurled and the other side with the 4 yellow balls. The results are as from the pix.

I never curled my hair on a sponge object before, so I think I was struggling with it. The balls are kind of like a yoyo. With a groove in the center. The idea is to get the hair into the groove. Because the groove was somewhat tight I need to pry open the sides in order to curl better. I think the curl came out not bad if you were aiming for waves. I don't think it's nice to sleep in as it can't secure properly near the scalp and my hair was tugging here and there at night (I turn a lot in sleep). Lucky I have the unrolled side to sleep on.

done.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
shamrocq said:
With a groove in the center. The idea is to get the hair into the groove. Because the groove was somewhat tight I need to pry open the sides in order to curl better.

Sounds like it's hard to get the ends nice and flat and tucked in properly...

I don't think it's nice to sleep in as it can't secure properly near the scalp and my hair was tugging here and there at night (I turn a lot in sleep). Lucky I have the unrolled side to sleep on.

Did you tie your hair in a scarf first? This will help eliminate the tugging and will keep the rollers neatly in place. I'd give it a try if you haven't already.

shamrocq

New in Town
KittyT said:
Did you tie your hair in a scarf first? This will help eliminate the tugging and will keep the rollers neatly in place. I'd give it a try if you haven't already.

At first I put a hair net on. Coz my country here is really humid, I didn't wanna put a scarf coz I'm afraid the hair wont dry. And since it's sitting inside a sponge, I'm more worried it wont dry. I have experience some pin curls not drying it the morning. But halfway in the night, the net slipped offed coz the net is too small. The balls make the whole head bigger, hence the standard hair net won't fit in. I'm using a fairly sturdy net of like net stocking material, but it's large enough to fit on a standard head, and maybe can accomodate a small bun. Oh yeah, the ends does not go in very easily. I like my ends to go in nicely and I use end papers on my pin curls, but for the balls, I was afraid it wont dry out so I just omit it. I think it's nice for those maybe casual day curling.

Blondie: Your most welcome

Note: The strawberries are slightly smaller than the yellow ball sponge. So you might get a tighter curl?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
shamrocq said:
At first I put a hair net on. Coz my country here is really humid, I didn't wanna put a scarf coz I'm afraid the hair wont dry. And since it's sitting inside a sponge, I'm more worried it wont dry. I have experience some pin curls not drying it the morning.

I have very thick hair and have the same problem. Try doing a dry set! I find that mine sets better that way anyway. Set it dry and just use some setting lotion :)

shamrocq

New in Town
KittyT said:
I have very thick hair and have the same problem. Try doing a dry set! I find that mine sets better that way anyway. Set it dry and just use some setting lotion :)

Thanks. I will try that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran