Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair tips and tricks, because what else ?

Hello ladies,
I need some help.
I consider myself to be a woman of many passions: art, lacemaking, linguistics, cooking, and every colour of ancient and vintage the world can give.
What I also like to do is: sports (multiple times a week) either indoors like weightlifting or outdoors like rollerskating or running.

I often have to choose between having my hair done the way I like and doing physical activities. I still haven't found a way to style my hair that would be somewhat quick to do, and that would keep my curls intact (even partially) while I run or move around!

I know that women back in the 40s did not go to the gym to lift some weigts, but many engaged in some sort of weekly physical activity, and I know they did not run back to the hair salon every time, right ?

I have pretty long hair that go past the shoulders when curled, a sort of longer version of the longer femme fatale. I definitly need to keep them out of my face while I exercice, otherwise they simply tangle up and become one single lock.

Would anybody have a recommendation?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Try resetting your hair into pin curls with bobby pins and then trying a cotton bandana around your head to keep them in place. So long as your head doesn't sweat too much that you just have to wash your hair after, the cotton will help absorb any extra moisture. Of course if your hair gets sweaty enough that you have to wash your hair anyway, there is no point in trying to obtain that vintage look while working out.

Personally for me when I work out, I don't care what I look like and I get UGLY!! I use the beauty routine after as a bit of a self esteem reward for working hard in my workout.

When it comes to activities that are not for the sheer purpose of working out, but rather a benefit, like roller skating, I have no problems wearing my hair in a vintage style that stays put. So just stick to your favorite style, but use a good hairspray. I recommend Got2B Glued, just know your hair is NOT going anywhere with this. The only downside is that it is not brush through friendly once you set it. If I am at the skatepark (not the rink), I am wearing a helmet and I once again don't care how my hair looks, because vintage curls won't look pretty covered in blood if I fall. Now to competitive sports, a ponytail with a decorative front -- be it a roll, a bump, a wave, or a cascade of curls is the way to go to keep your hair out of the way from seeing the win. :-D

Hope this helps a little. I hope others chime in with their suggestions.

adara260

New in Town
I have this same problem. It takes me so long to pin my hair and then I need to redo it everyday because of working out. Ugh…

So I elected to get a haircut that looks good even if I don’t pin curl it.

Pin curling has been relegated for special occasions now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner