Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Han Solo's leather jacket in SW7

thor

One Too Many
I enjoyed Ford's portrayal of Branch Rickey (owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers) in the Jackie Robinson biopic "42". He was nearly unrecognizable (even when he wore a gray fedora in afew scenes) and really brought the character to life.

Stand By

One Too Many
One Harrison Ford vehicle that I still can appreciate and admire thoroughly to this day, however, is 'Blade Runner'. That one is a ****ing masterpiece. Although at no point iny life did it inspire me to a buzz cut and a trench coat.:p

Couldn't agree more. As I said, I went downtown to see a 2K presentation of Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Friday night. It is, as you say, a sci-fi film-noir masterpiece. I've seen it sooo many times and to see it on the big screen again (as I first did in 1982 - and the then-supporting feature was the music video of The Rolling Stones' "Undercover" - screened only at cinemas as the TV channels refused to broadcast it as it had that "execution" scene!) but with all the effects finished and the dubbing corrected until it's now flawless - I sat there and just grinned and marvelled, savouring every minute.
And I know what you mean about the trench coat and the bad haircut - and his shirts! Dear me. But it speaks to something that I can't put my finger on that Harrison Ford can make it all totally work and make Deckard look sooo darn cool !!!

And as an aside, in stark contrast to the style and coolness going on where Blade Runner was playing (and Alien was being screened next!!!), there was an event going on elsewhere at the cinema and, as we went in, Deadmau5 arrived - he's the very fashionable and hip DJ of the moment and everyone fawns over him in his big helmet with massive mouse ears on it. Anyway, he showed up to fanfare in a very lovely and fancy yellow Lamborgini or something and all the youngsters are there ooh-ing and ahh-ing with their cell phones vying to get a shot of him and the celeb press are all lined up with their lights and film cameras just for him - and as my girlfriend and I walked in, he'd just pulled up outside the TIFF Lightbox cinema and there he was, with loads of space, trying and failing miserably just to park it. He made a complete dog's dinner of it. He had zero clutch control and was revving the hell out of this thing, jerking and braking. He couldn't straighten it up to save his life - so in the end, he just got out (no helmet of course) and left it as it was and he stood there looking pathetic, looking all dejected at the car - the back end stuck way out in the street at a terrible angle against the sidewalk. Someone else moved it. Pathetic.
And on the big screen in the cinema lobby, the tweet went out live in real time that Deadmau5 had arrived ! No mention at all or photos of the parking failure. That's "celebrity" news for you. We couldn't escape the madding crowd fast enough.
Give me Blade Runner.

Last edited:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've always thought the costuming in Star wars to be a cut above the ordinary sci-fi fare, with many outfits based on familiar themes like Samurai robes, old west gunfighter's outfits, flight jackets and military wear. Someone please wake me up when everyone's through bashing George Lucas/CGI/sci-fi/anything else you can think of and we get back to the topic at hand, the leather jacket.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Saw the ultimate version of Bladerunner on cable with my wife a couple of weeks ago. My wife was born in 1984 (that's when it was made, right?), so she kept on asking me why everything was like Japan. I had to explain to her that back then, people thought that's what the future might look like. She got excited until I explained that it was a 'dystopian future' (I'm so cruel), but it was a shock for me to realize that my wife has no memory of the 'bubble era', nor the idea of 'Japan as #1', that is the motivation behind Critons Rising Sun story.
She was even more shocked when I told her that Bladerunner had such an impact on the West's perception of Japan that many people actually still come to Japan and expect Tokyo to be kind of like that.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've always thought the costuming in Star wars to be a cut above the ordinary sci-fi fare, with many outfits based on familiar themes like Samurai robes, old west gunfighter's outfits, flight jackets and military wear. Someone please wake me up when everyone's through bashing George Lucas/CGI/sci-fi/anything else you can think of and we get back to the topic at hand, the leather jacket.

Have we even seen this jacket yet? Apart from the front chest area? Not promising so far. Looks like something Ford's favored costume designer Bernie Pollack had a hand in. He was responsible for emasculating the Indy jacket into a pre-distressed, baggy number that made Ford look like one of the middle aged fans on COW.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Sylvester and Arnold must be taking advice from Gene Simmons, that lovable rock'n'roll millionaire.

"People who say that money is the root of all evil are morons, a lack of money is the root of all evil."

He stole that line from a Mad Magazine actually, Just like he claims he invented the Devil horns Hand Gesture at Rock concerts too. I Think Gene Simmons is a Millionaire moron. *yucky*

Edward

Bartender
I remember seeing Blade Runner in my mid teens and just not getting it.... now, of course, I find it vastly superior to stuff like Star wars; I think it's an age thing. (That and I didn't get the whoel noir context at fifteen).

"The Mosquito Coast" was one of Ford's best pictures IMO.

Good film. I found the ending seemed very sudden and abrupt, but I remember liking the film; in particular, I liked that they didn't feel the need to make Ford's character watered down and likeable.

Stand By

One Too Many
I remember seeing Blade Runner in my mid teens and just not getting it.... now, of course, I find it vastly superior to stuff like Star wars; I think it's an age thing. (That and I didn't get the whoel noir context at fifteen).

The film I got and loved as a 15 yr old …

So I bought the book by Philip K. Dick - "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?". Now that I didn't get!!! Terrible.

Timsum

New in Town
Another jacket for the fans...

I wonder who will end up offering this ;) And I wonder who will be the first lounger to get one ;))

An interesting take on a biker jacket... Perfect for smuggler's and epic space battles.

star-wars-the-force-awakens-photos-2952329479834650.jpg

Seriously looking forward to the movie!

I don't think Han's jacket will be made of FQHH as I didn't see any horses in the Gallactic Republic. It's more likely front quarter Taun Taun hide or perhaps Carkoon Pit Tanned Hutt hide.

thor

One Too Many
And somehow John Chapman would source some authentic taun-taun leather for a limited run of 100% authentic Han Solo jackets! :D

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Good film. I found the ending seemed very sudden and abrupt, but I remember liking the film; in particular, I liked that they didn't feel the need to make Ford's character watered down and likeable.

Yes to both. I think Ford has taken very few risks in his casting choices. Mosquito Coast was one of the very few. And all those benign choices have generated some very bland movies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21