Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand Made Brand New '40's A-2 Style Civi Jacket

fishmeok

Vendor
So I can continue my jacket making hobby I though I would put this jacket up for sale and see if anyone is interested. Ive been wearing it for a few weeks and have replaced the zipper- the vintage Talon I had first put in did not hold up. Knits and Zipper are from G&B, cowhide with cotton liner. Since the first pics this thing has developed incredible grain- it's just popping out all over the jacket. The cow acts more like horse, fairly stiff but graining up almost immediately. I've gotten the jacket completely soaked to see how it would do and everything except the vintage Talon held up well. The cut is slim, this is pretty much a 44. I'm 6' and 197 lbs and it's almost a bit tight on me.
Tons of pics of the construction and me wearing it starting HALFWAY down this page- don't look at the jacket on the top of the page, that is not this one...
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=32600&page=3

Asking $275 which strictly covers the cost of materials.
Cheers
Mark

Chest, pit to pit 24"
Front 23"
Shoulder to end of cuff 24"
Shoulders 20"
Back top to bottom of knits 25"
Epaulet 7"

This is what it looks like now- not perfect by any means, but not too shabby either. The jacket is a direct copy of a period piece.

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

DSCN4392.jpg

Oh man, talk about temptation!

I really like that jacket, and you and I are quite close in size, and the price is more than reasonable, and I'd like to be supportive of your education in leather jacket crafting (there's nothing quite like handcrafted attire, and I'm all for keeping the crafts alive), but I fear that if I were to spend any more dough on myself my wife would have you making a jacket from my hide.

I'm hoping someone will pony up the funds, but if you don't get any takers, might you consider a trade? A couple of handmade hats, maybe?

fishmeok

Vendor
Man, I would love to, but I'm in the same boat you are... We have a baby due on Tuesday and I think I would be drawn and quartered if I spent any more out-of-pocket on hides. It has to be a self feeding hobby. Kind of like an ouroboros.lol
Cheers
Mark

Weston

A-List Customer
I may get shot by the VLJ enthusiasts, but this looks like the best replica of an A-2 I've seen in years. Why?

Done by hand. Mechanical precision limited – the touch of a human hand. Probably small imperfections. Wear from handling and grain from leather that maybe doesn't perfectly match everywhere.

In short, exactly what Grandad got in WWII at the Quartermasters.

Beautiful.

Weston said:
I may get shot by the VLJ enthusiasts, but this looks like the best replica of an A-2 I've seen in years. Why?

Done by hand. Mechanical precision limited – the touch of a human hand. Probably small imperfections. Wear from handling and grain from leather that maybe doesn't perfectly match everywhere.

In short, exactly what Grandad got in WWII at the Quartermasters.

Beautiful.

uh...not quite. No windflap(zipper isn't covered)...sleeves put together differently than an A2...among a few other things.
However..great effort...and nice jacket.
HD

fishmeok

Vendor
Thanks for the compliments. I'm kind of shying away from A-2's, John has them pretty well perfected. This is a replica of a civilian type jacket very popular in the '40-50's. I added some of my own touches like A-2 pockets, A-2 Dubow-pattern epaulets and pocket flaps, etc. That's where the fun comes in, making each jacket (out of the 3 I have made) unique. This one is still for sale, BTW, along with jacket 3 which I finished this weekend. Probably will be the last ones I make for a while due to that whole baby thing.
Cheers
Mark

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
I am DEFINATELY TEMPTED by your jacket, the measurements are really close to my size....

If you aren't desperate for cash this week, or could wait until the end of the month, IF you haven't already listed on eBay, and IF I can move some funds around.....

RRRRRRRR....

dv

fishmeok

Vendor
DavidVillaJr said:
I am DEFINATELY TEMPTED by your jacket, the measurements are really close to my size....

If you aren't desperate for cash this week, or could wait until the end of the month, IF you haven't already listed on eBay, and IF I can move some funds around.....

RRRRRRRR....

dv

PM sent
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
Sold to a Lounger- thanks everybody. Jacket #3 (dark brown one) will be up this weekend. I'm halfway through #4. Should probably figure out some neat way to serialize them...

Cheers
Mark

jb2004me

New in Town
Awesome!

From a guy that bought a vintage Singer but 2 years later still cannot sew a straight line: WOW! That is one helluva job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters