Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand sewing a patch to a lined jacket ?

TLW '90

Practically Family
I want to sew a name patch onto the new work jacket I ordered, but I'd like to do so without sewing through the lining.
The problem is that my sewing skills are completely limited to saddle stitching leather, so that means no seam ripping and re-sewing...etc
I need to figure out a way I can do this myself because paying to have a patch sewn onto my jacket is not worth it to me.
If I can't come up with a way to do this, I'll just forget it.
I have a set of curved repair needles that seem like they could be the solution, but I knew diddly squat about sewing because I took wood shop instead of home-ec.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
The jacket is a 12oz canvas, and I'd be putting the patch on the breast where you'd typically see a name patch on a uniform shirt.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You can hand sew with a curve needle, it's gonna take a bit of time.

Or if you are comfortable with opening up the lining it can be patched on a machine.

TLW '90

Practically Family
You can hand sew with a curve needle, it's gonna take a bit of time.

Or if you are comfortable with opening up the lining it can be patched on a machine.
I'm definitely not going to open up the lining, so I'll just have to try and accomplish something functional with a curved needle.

Currently I'm contemplating ironing the patch on ( these particular patches don't hold very strong) and just added a stitch on each end to lock it on.
Sewing all the way around is probably the best choice though.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I'm definitely not going to open up the lining, so I'll just have to try and accomplish something functional with a curved needle.

Currently I'm contemplating ironing the patch on ( these particular patches don't hold very strong) and just added a stitch on each end to lock it on.
Sewing all the way around is probably the best choice though.
If you're not picky you could just iron the patch on and do a few hand sewn spots to keep it intact. That would seem like the most easy and long lasting way.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Well I guess I won't need to bother figuring this out, because the particular work jacket arrived today and it's way too big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner