Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchief Questions

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
I am having a bit of a problem finding more than one hankie at a time to purchase. I am looking for new, relatively plain ones, as I am pretty hard on my hankies and my beau gets a hold of them on occasion (and they are practically trash after that). I have several vintage ones, from family and elsewhere, but I feel that they are much too lovely to use daily. The last pack of plain cotton handkerchiefs I bought were from a Walgreen's, but they don't seem to carry them any more. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My husband has carried plain white hankies his whole life because of his allergies. As a result I frequently hunt for new ones for him. Your best bet is the men's counter at a department store. Sears, JCPenney are usually good options. Around the holidays, most men's departments have them available for gifts so they tend to be a bit more decorative with striped trims or a possible monogram. Good luck!

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
I'm another handkerchief carrier. I carry a couple of plain white ones in my handbag as well as one in a pocket just in case. I even fold up a hanky and pop it inside my daughter's sleeve when she goes to school just like my mother used to do for me.
I do have some decorative ones to take out with me but they're just for show, unless in a real emergency. My favourites are the one my son made for me for my birthday that he embroidered with little pictures of all my favourite things like lipstick and moustaches, and the vintage one that my great-grandfather gave me, embroidered with his initial. It was made for him by my great-grandmother when they started courting, he had handed her a hanky when she sneezed and she embroidered it (and washed it) before giving it back. He kept it in his top pocket everyday since. They don't make men like that anymore!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It was made for him by my great-grandmother when they started courting, he had handed her a hanky when she sneezed and she embroidered it (and washed it) before giving it back. He kept it in his top pocket everyday since. They don't make men like that anymore!

That is a wonderful story. Such as keepsake!

I've found the plain men's ones in Kmart. You need to ask the staff and they can help you (I think they are near the men's underthings, but it is a small display).

I have allergies, so I keep the men's ones on me all the time, in jackets, my purse, etc. They are much softer on my nose than tissue. I use my mid-fancy (lacey ones that aren't hand-done or have a little hand work on them) for work, and my best (hand crocheted fancy edgings) are saved for special occasions, which range from weddings to parties, special events in my life, etc.

I try to use things and be gentle with them. It really upsets me when I make someone a gift and they don't use it and pack it away. I'd like to think that if I use them I made someone happy, showing off their work.

Heather

Practically Family
Just yesterday as I was putting a tissue in my purse (I was going out and I always like to bring one with me if I'm going out in public wearing my red lipstick) and i was reminded of this thread. I really need to invest in a real handkerchief for just such occasions. Does anyone know if fels-naphtha gets out red lipstick?

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
Im from an age where using a real handkerhief was the norm.
I always carry three. One silk, in the breast pocket, one cotton/linen for use, and one incase a lady requires it...
my grandparents, my parents, my wifes parents, my wife, my children and now grandchildren use cotton/linen handkerchiefs.
why use anything else?
They are re-usuable- for years-
i have some that date from the 1930's.that still are like new.They are washable-just throw them in general wash.

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
Im from an age where using a real handkerhief was the norm.
I always carry three. One silk, in the breast pocket, one cotton/linen for use, and one incase a lady requires it...
my grandparents, my parents, my wifes parents, my wife, my children and now grandchildren use cotton/linen handkerchiefs.
why use anything else?
They are re-usuable- for years-
i have some that date from the 1930's.that still are like new.They are washable-just throw them in general wash.

That's a gentleman, to wear one with him just in case a lady requires it. I don't know this kind of men :(
I have a bunch of vintage hankies from my grandma and her neighbour. I feel most of them are to cute to use at all (besides to show off).

The reason why I don't use real handkerchiefs is that I'm allergic to pretty much everything. I need from 15 to 50 tissues per day, sometimes even more (although I use each more than once). I'd spent too much time on washing and ironing the hankies, so I have to use paper tissues although I think real hankies are so much more style.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The reason why I don't use real handkerchiefs is that I'm allergic to pretty much everything. I need from 15 to 50 tissues per day, sometimes even more (although I use each more than once). I'd spent too much time on washing and ironing the hankies, so I have to use paper tissues although I think real hankies are so much more style.

I would also go through that many tissues on a typical day. The great thing about hankies is that each hankie is worth about 50 or more tissues, especially once you wash it a few times. I was suprised by how long a hankie lasts compared to tissues. It makes my life a lot easier to carry a hankie rather than making sure everyplace I go I have enough tissues.

I don't iron my everyday hankies (modern men's hankies). I throw them in with my whites, wash them, and put them in the dryer. I just fold them up once they come out. They are not crisp, but I'm just going to blow my nose in them all day. If I didn't use the dryer, I'd just hang them up and let them dry as smooth as possible and use them that way.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
When I was a little girl, even though we used tissues on an everyday basis, whenever we went anywhere special, my Mother would always ensure that we had a proper handkerchief tucked in our handbag or up our sleeve.

I remember trips to the ballet, weddings etc, there was always a proper hanky to hand. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Same as.

As i have animals and children in tow usually, i tend to put a cotton bandana or large muslin square in my handbag, over the years it's not only been used to wipe noses, but as emergency dog lead, tourniquet, sunhat, the permutations have been endless.

One day i will have a small, delicate little hanky in my handbag!! (sigh)

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
One of the nice things about hankies is that are a nice small canvass to embroider on. I occasionally by a pack of men's handkerchiefs and monogram them for myself. I get the "Iron-on" patterns for the initials. But you do need to "pad" them to get them to look especially nice.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
a real man should always carry a spare cotton handkerchief (hand rolled hemmed) to offer if the lady needs one,as often they do.
I actually keep a couple folded up in the desk of my drawer at work, and otherwise keep them in a side pocket of my purse.

I'm glad I'm not alone in still using them. I pulled one out this weekend when I sneezed on a date and the guy said "Why do you carry cloth napkins in your purse?" He seemed repulsed when I explained it was a handkerchief and said "You can buy little packages of Kleenex, you know. They cost, like, a dollar." I guess some people don't get it.

Lenore

Practically Family
Seeing this thread makes me wish there was a "Show us your handkerchiefs!" thread. I'd love to see y'alls vintage and embroidered handkerchiefs. Sadly, I have none to add...yet!

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
There is nothing like a hankie. Beats a tissue every time. Your right about the ones sold at the vermont country store they are a great set of ladies hankies. If you are looking for a set of hankies to start off with I highly recommend the vermont contry store hankie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy