Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Nice pocket squares. I'll have to have a look at Peckham Rye!

I have a jacket exactly like that middle one. Did you get it from Cordings?

No, it's a vintage jacket. Dunn & Co, if my memory serves me correct.

Definitely have a look at Peckham Rye. The gents who run the company are genuinely in love with their product - something which should always be comended. The ever-changing stock of silks is something I like to see. They do one tie that has a very distinctive pattern, based on a silk the family company used back in the mid-20th century. I have a John Collier tie (made from Terylene) that appears to be a rip-off of their original pattern.
Even though I seldom wear a bow tie, I am tempted to get one of theirs just because I like the style.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
pocket squares

DSC_4808.jpg

DSC_4799.jpg

DSC_4798.jpg

DSC_4807.jpg

DSC_4806.jpg

DSC_4805.jpg

DSC_4804.jpg

DSC_4802.jpg

DSC_4801.jpg

DSC_4800.jpg

just some of my silk pocket squares.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
No, it's a vintage jacket. Dunn & Co, if my memory serves me correct.

The fabric is just like a Cordings tweed jacket I have. Came from a charity shop so I don't know its vintage but I think it is quite new.

Definitely have a look at Peckham Rye. The gents who run the company are genuinely in love with their product - something which should always be comended. The ever-changing stock of silks is something I like to see. They do one tie that has a very distinctive pattern, based on a silk the family company used back in the mid-20th century. I have a John Collier tie (made from Terylene) that appears to be a rip-off of their original pattern.
Even though I seldom wear a bow tie, I am tempted to get one of theirs just because I like the style.

I just had a look at their site. Some very nice stuff!

Edward

Bartender
The fabric is just like a Cordings tweed jacket I have. Came from a charity shop so I don't know its vintage but I think it is quite new.

t's hard to tell sometimes with a company that has been around that long - which is, of course, the beauty of it as newer items are easier to find in larger sizes and tend to sell for less on the use market than actual forties and earlier pieces, even if identical in cut.

Is there an art to placing ones pocket square in ones suit jacket pocket? I just stuff it in then try to arrange accordingly.

I see now that they sell pocket squares already formed with the three perfect triangles in place. I like the stuffing procedure, makes for a more classic look.
TIA for reply's and opinions.
Best Regards
CCJ

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Is there an art to placing ones pocket square in ones suit jacket pocket? I just stuff it in then try to arrange accordingly.

I see now that they sell pocket squares already formed with the three perfect triangles in place. I like the stuffing procedure, makes for a more classic look.
TIA for reply's and opinions.
Best Regards
CCJ

In my opinion, it's a travesty to use a pre-folded square. Anyone with the internet can spend fifteen minutes googling "how to fold a pocket square" and learn a bevy of different folds.

A lot of the time I use the "tug and stuff" method; I tug the center of the pocket square through my slack fist, then invert and stuff so that all the resulting points stick out. At other times, depending on the occasion and location I'm attending, I might use a different fold. For example, if I were attending a funeral or memorial, I might choose a more subdued fold such as a 1, 2, 3 point or a banker's fold. I tend to do the same with my tie knots - I choose the knot based on the occasion/location/activity. For a more serious occasion I would use a full or maybe a half windsor. For a more rakish look with country dress or for sporting occasions like boating or a day out for fun, I would probably use a four-in-hand or a cravat tucked behind an open collar.

My opinion is that a gentleman should carefully pay attention to every detail of how he dresses and focus all these details toward the purpose he has in mind for the day (or the impression he wishes to create), after which point he should as completely as possible ignore his clothes.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Anybody have an idea on the age for this Dobbs pocket square I recently purchased? I know hats and I don't know much about pocket squares, but since it had the Dobbs name, I wanted it for my collection. My wild guess was 1960s, but I don't know why I say that.

Thanks for any help.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I want to say its fairly modern. From the Deion Sanders era?
Dobbs put its name on ties in the '70s, but used the golden coach logo and slightly blocker text.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400470648518
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400470648515

Thanks, Dinerman, you may be right about the Deion Sanders era, as this would fit right in with that marketing. I've not researched to see if or how much the Dobbs name was licensed beyond headwear after the death of Hat Corporation of America, though I have heard of Dobbs stores being around at least until the '80s or '90s (and maybe later), so it's probable. The wider D and B letters are throwing me, as most instances of DOBBS (other than sweatbands and liners) from the '30s through the end of Hat Corporation of America utilized a typeface with narrower and thinner letters, though the '20s and earlier used wider Ds and Bs. This isn't that old, though. From the '30s onward, if they used a wider D and B in the typeface, they were also blockier. The one big exception is the outside of the Dobbs octagonal boxes from the '50s onward. I'm just not versed enough in the modern use to know.

Brad

Tommy

One of the Regulars
The ones I put in my jacket pockets are 100% linen and come from Brooks Brothers.
I usually have to call their catalog and special request them because they do not list them in the catalog.

They are big like a napkin yet thin like a hanky.

You have to ask for the ones that are not pre folded and they cost an arm and a leg for I think 4.

You must iron them once in a while.

I have cotten ones on the ready if I know I am going to use it, I keep the linen in the visable pocket. If I need it I use it too.

I agree the cotton for use, reserving linen (or silk) for show is a good strategy.

If one is diligent, a batch of clean handkerchiefs will pop up by the handful every now and then in the thrift shops for pennies.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Accidentally bought a very small pocket square last weekend. It was in a set with socks which sounds more cheesy than it is. Made from wool and by Burlington the fabric looked rather nice. I couldn't see the size until I unpacked it at home. I will keep it for casual outfits but I was still a little disappointed.

So what is the deal about pocket square sizes? I have read some here prefer real big squares? Does this have to do with vintage authencity or personal choice?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Hm. On vintage suits/coats the chest pocket size varies greatly. Some of the 30's coats have quite small pockets... I often have difficulty placing a regular handkerchief into them and therefore use a very small (and thin) silk pocket square.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred